Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2017, 05:32 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Post Processing Challenge #214

Welcome to Post Processing Challenge #214 and thanks to Glenn for hosting the last challenge.

Had a few choices from my trip to Huntington Library a couple weeks ago, where I was enjoying plenty of nice scenery but in mid-day harsh lighting. Multiple entries are welcome. Challenge closes next Thursday, March 23rd, whenever I get to it.

DNG download: PPCHALLENGE214
JPG extract download: PPCHALLENGE214

Information for the next host:

The mediafire website is: mediafire.com
The login name is: pentaxchallenge@outlook.com
The password is: postprocessing
Note to host: Copy and paste the above MediaFire information into your challenge to help the next winner

03-16-2017, 09:16 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Site Supporter

Thank you todd for hosting 214 and the great image to work with!

Straight:

Bold and with some POP!

Last edited by Glenn5995; 03-19-2017 at 06:09 AM.
03-16-2017, 10:50 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

Last one before I have to work some long hours myself.

Last edited by JHfwp; 05-12-2017 at 10:19 PM.
03-18-2017, 10:52 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Looks like I crossed the line again from challenging to dud... haha... I was also thinking about going with a nicer IR filter shot.. Shoulda done that instead... Oh well..

03-18-2017, 11:58 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter

Don't fret over it todd, this is just a fun way to provide images for post-processing to those that are interested and to get ideas from seeing each others results. A slow start doesn't necessarily reflect on interest. People could be busy with other matters at the moment. I also find it challenging as host to select an image I think will appeal to the masses and then to select the next host. I appreciate your continued support for this challenge.
03-19-2017, 09:53 AM - 3 Likes   #6

Hali! I like your image, thanks!
Attached Images

03-19-2017, 10:33 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

What a Dud, Todd. (Just Kidding)

03-19-2017, 02:54 PM - 3 Likes   #8

My version

Attached Images

03-19-2017, 10:21 PM - 3 Likes   #9
Tas
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A very restrained set of images after PP so far. Mostly worked in CS6 for this one.

Decided to play a bit, this time in On1 Photo RAW FX aiming for some flare and a faded look.

Last edited by Tas; 03-20-2017 at 09:31 PM.
03-21-2017, 12:24 PM - 3 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

03-21-2017, 08:23 PM - 4 Likes   #11
Site Supporter

Peeking through the jungle..... you can hear the water in this shot.

---------- Post added 03-21-17 at 08:59 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
Looks like I crossed the line again from challenging to dud... haha... I was also thinking about going with a nicer IR filter shot.. Shoulda done that instead... Oh well..
Not at all !! That's half the fun, and more importantly, gives more opportunity to learn to really "look at" and find the good in a frame that might well be easily over-looked. I personally love finding, and figuring out just how the heck to dig a little deeper into PS to find a new trick to make things shine
Attached Images

03-23-2017, 02:43 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Glenn - really enjoyed your bold version especially! You squeezed a lot of juice out of there!

JHfwp - the clarity of your entry is very nice.

partos.andras - welcome to the forum! Hope you come back for more! You did a great job giving it a film-like faded look.

Arizona Dave - the only bw! what a surprise! I thought for sure we'd have multiple bw's in the mix. Yours is really nice and well done so thanks for making it shine and covering that category well. I like the clean natural look of your color entry as well, and the way you made the flow of water followable through the scene.

capmazariegos - very nice entry. I really like the work you did making the flow of the water through the scene followable.

Tas - great choice in your first entry going lower key. I generally like my greens lower and you made it work. It makes the green reflections in the stream look great in the top of the lower break.

Your second entry is super cool. flare and faded work great to tame the harsh highlights and add dynamic to the scene.. I like how you removed the fencing too. And the only one to handle the blown water blob the way you did.. Well done.

Rimfiredude - i like your crop. it enhances the power of the big green leaf in the scene nicely. I also found myself noticing the lit rocks below the top fall in a fresh way. I like the natural rendering of the greens with the way you've processed too, much like Arizona Dave's first entry.

QuoteOriginally posted by astonm Quote
make things shine
Thank you astonm for your entry, as you definitely made things shine! I love what you've done with the place! Such a creative use of perspective adjustment! I find the tones overall and the look of your highlights especially very pleasing too. And then there's the effective use of blur vignette... Great job! I wasn't alone in liking it either since you tallied 4 likes (so far)! Congrats! You are the winner and desired host for the next challenge.

Last edited by todd; 03-23-2017 at 03:12 PM.
03-23-2017, 04:03 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Tas
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats to anstonm and thank you todd for hosting, this was an image to make you think.

Well done to everyone, as always it's interesting to see how each person interprets the same image.

Tas
03-23-2017, 05:12 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Veteran Member

Thanks for hosting and commenting, Todd.

Some very good work all around, especially the more creative entries. But, yeah, astonm pretty much smoked the competition this week I would say. Great job!
03-23-2017, 06:17 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter

Congratulations astonm! Thank you todd for hosting and the comments.