Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2017, 05:33 PM - 1 Like   #301
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Topsy Quote
Thanks, glad to hear others have experienced similar, also very happy to hear that you're using the past tense.
Did you do anything particular to free yourself of it or did it just disappear?
Sorry I forgot to comment back on this. My troubles are from two conditions. One is from my asthma which can get really bad at times. This is much more recent. Many years ago, while still in my twenties I had these dizzie spells followed by a feeling of vertigo. Many, many tests went with nothing to really show. Turns is was my blood sugar. I was having blood sugar spikes and crashes. The spikes caused me to feel somewhat agitated and nervous. The crashes were much worse. They caused near blackouts at times. I had to make some serious changes to my eating habits and lifestyle. They still come and go at times but nothing like before.

04-30-2017, 06:43 PM - 2 Likes   #302
Pentaxian At Large
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
I will admit it was a real struggle at times.
It certainly is, I've worked some long hours as well, I know how hard it can be to find the time, but SIC does encourage me to always have my camera at hand if possible. I and other members have also mentioned that the SIC does give some impetus to looking for every and any opportunity for taking a shot, which sometimes allows, or forces us out of or "creative box". Earlier this month You wrote
[quoteScorpio71GR;3988431]This is a shot that has been on my mind for a long time. If not for the Single In challenge I most likely would still be waiting to do it.[/quote]

I've done the same, but I think you got better results.
04-30-2017, 08:37 PM - 4 Likes   #303
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
My lens was the Pentax Q 03 Fish-Eye. It's the only fisheye I own, and I'd never shot with one before, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I ended up having a barrel of fun - and, while I'm ready to put it aside for a while, I can see myself picking it up again later in the summer, just to play with.

The 03 lens is a bit of a hybrid: it's constructed like the cheaper "toy" Q lenses, with all-plastic construction and a design that looks more like them than the "professional" lenses - the 01, 02, 06, and 08. But the lens elements are SMC-coated and high quality, and the lens really delivered, in terms of color rendition and sharpness. I'd guess that the image quality was in the upper third of the lenses that I own (which, admittedly, doesn't include any limiteds or star lenses, but does have some pretty good vintage glass, and a Sigma DG 70-200 f/2.8 that's just stellar).

Where the lens was a bit frustrating was in focusing - focus peaking at 2x was absolutely essential to make sure the subject was in focus, and that's what I used pretty much all the time. In addition, it's a really small lens, and I had to constantly watch to make sure my fingers weren't in the field of view. Finally, it's a fixed f/5.6 aperture, and I wish I'd had more flexibility with depth of field. I had to reject a fair number of shots because the DoF wasn't right.

All in all, though, a great experience. I'll definitely be wanting to pick up a K-mount or M42 fisheye sometime.

Here are some of my favorite shots:

Last edited by babywriter; 04-30-2017 at 08:44 PM.
05-01-2017, 05:17 AM   #304
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by babywriter Quote
My lens was the Pentax Q 03 Fish-Eye. It's the only fisheye I own, and I'd never shot with one before, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I ended up having a barrel of fun - and, while I'm ready to put it aside for a while, I can see myself picking it up again later in the summer, just to play with.

The 03 lens is a bit of a hybrid: it's constructed like the cheaper "toy" Q lenses, with all-plastic construction and a design that looks more like them than the "professional" lenses - the 01, 02, 06, and 08. But the lens elements are SMC-coated and high quality, and the lens really delivered, in terms of color rendition and sharpness. I'd guess that the image quality was in the upper third of the lenses that I own (which, admittedly, doesn't include any limiteds or star lenses, but does have some pretty good vintage glass, and a Sigma DG 70-200 f/2.8 that's just stellar).

Where the lens was a bit frustrating was in focusing - focus peaking at 2x was absolutely essential to make sure the subject was in focus, and that's what I used pretty much all the time. In addition, it's a really small lens, and I had to constantly watch to make sure my fingers weren't in the field of view. Finally, it's a fixed f/5.6 aperture, and I wish I'd had more flexibility with depth of field. I had to reject a fair number of shots because the DoF wasn't right.

All in all, though, a great experience. I'll definitely be wanting to pick up a K-mount or M42 fisheye sometime.

Here are some of my favorite shots:

Really enjoyed the photos you captured with that lens this month, it does really well in your hands!

05-01-2017, 06:40 AM   #305
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I've had a couple of scares getting the adapter off again, and I don't want to risk a genuine Pentax article.
You can use the flange type adapters if you are using extension tubes. No chance of getting stuck.

---------- Post added 05-01-17 at 09:43 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Topsy Quote
Still been feeling pretty bad the last two days. I've had signs of vertigo when waking up or am 'stuck' in a half awake-half asleep state in the morning. Had this in the past but it's not really fun and makes you feel pretty bad for the rest of the day.

Still been out to take some photos, just not taking any time to look into any monitors as they tend to make me feel 'disconnected' and giddy when I have this.

Just edited the two photos.. Whitebalance may be off I've got sunglasses on (because I was too lazy to turn down the brightness!)
My occasional vertigo is caused by sinus congestion. I use a nasal steroid to keep that issue mostly uber control. However even with that sometimes I need Bonnie (meclizine) which is superb for my problem.
05-01-2017, 08:28 AM - 1 Like   #306
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This month I shot with the Zenitar 16mm full frame fisheye lens on my K3. (Album)

This is a great wide angle lens, with it's quirks you have to work with. I like it so much, I originally bought an m42 version, and then bought a K mount version to use on my digital cameras.

Set it to f11 and it produces very sharp, detailed photos. It's fishiness is pretty nice, and it defishes very well too. If I had a K1, I would use this quite a bit on it. On APS-C it is also quite useful, though I did find the distortion to be a little annoying with framing up shots, even if I knew I could potentially defish.

Cons? It is susceptible to flare, it isn't very good below f5.6, and you need live view for precise close focus. You need to do manual/green button exposure, that is slightly annoying.

Pros. Sharp! Very nice rendering, produces a ton of detail to work with. It's nice and small for a 16mm full frame lens.

05-01-2017, 02:11 PM - 2 Likes   #307
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
Sorry I forgot to comment back on this. My troubles are from two conditions. One is from my asthma which can get really bad at times. This is much more recent. Many years ago, while still in my twenties I had these dizzie spells followed by a feeling of vertigo. Many, many tests went with nothing to really show. Turns is was my blood sugar. I was having blood sugar spikes and crashes. The spikes caused me to feel somewhat agitated and nervous. The crashes were much worse. They caused near blackouts at times. I had to make some serious changes to my eating habits and lifestyle. They still come and go at times but nothing like before.
Don't have asthma luckily, but the other sounds like me.. I'm currently in my 20s.
I usually stay a bit nervous for a few days (still am now) after it happens and I go into panic mode for a while and go worrying about everything.

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
My occasional vertigo is caused by sinus congestion. I use a nasal steroid to keep that issue mostly uber control. However even with that sometimes I need Bonnie (meclizine) which is superb for my problem.
I'll take this into consideration too when I go to the doctor this week.. Going to try and remember everything I've noted and not confuse him too badly..

Thanks!

I've been away this weekend and unexpectedly stayed a day longer and missed the shot for the 30th as I can't fit the lens into the pouch I used last time I went away because I fixed the rack & pinion which doesn't give the lens a very round profile anymore..

My verdict:

I'm a bit sad I missed the first week, but I didn't have the lens yet.
It's seriously so much fun to use but it does attract quite a bit of attention and smiles (sometimes weird looks). I haven't ventured into town with it yet but I'm sure that will be an interesting experience.

I've now made two apertures that are usable and will possibly build a storage box for the lens in the near future.

All in all I'm quite surprised, it's reasonably sharp wide open and has the sweet petzval bokeh, however at much smaller distances between subject and background than the swirly bokeh a helios creates.
I'm a bit sad I couldn't shoot any portraits with it (yet) as everyone bailed on me..

This lens was so exciting that I actually am really unsure what lens I'd like to select next as they suddenly all seem a bit boring. (that's not a good sign, is it? )

Since I've missed day 1 of May already I might quickly take a break another few days to sort myself out again and decide. I'll try to go for something weird though

Here are my favs from this month:

My first test of the aperture I made:

And this one, because it got explored and I had no clue what had happened!

05-01-2017, 04:37 PM - 2 Likes   #308
Pentaxian

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, Manitoba, Canada
Well I fell off the wagon and missed the end of the month. I did take shots but I couldn't manage to post them. On the bright side I posted more days than not and this has been the best I have participated in the SI Challenge for well over a year. My health had challenges this month too with a cold in the early part of the month to be followed by a stomach virus 2 weeks later. Normally my complicated medical issues are enough to deal with without picking up something nasty from the community so I am happy with what I was able to complete.

This was not the first time I had done a SI month with my FE. My DA 10-17 was my first "expensive" lens (being on disability means funds are really limited) and I was worried when I bought it if I had made a foolish purchase. I am pleased to report once again that I still enjoy using this lens. It has so many uses that it is hard not to enjoy all that you can do with it. My personal favourite is to use it at its widest and get the most fishiness and distortion. This lens wasn't what I had planned to use and I was worried that I might regret going with the flow, but I didn't and have really enjoyed the month.

Thank you to everyone who commented on my images. Your comments help me to see the things differently and provide valuable feedback. Some comments have also encouraged me to go out of my comfort zone, specifically to see what B&W processing can do for an image. Thanks again everyone for making it fun to participate in the Challenge.

Stevi