Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 195 Likes Search this Thread
04-24-2017, 06:38 PM   #241
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I had a list of stuff for the DA10-17 for this month. There is no way I will finish it. Just not enough time in a day. I have been working 10-12 hours a day and it is taking a toll. Hopefully I can finish the month out.

04-24-2017, 06:41 PM   #242
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
Just not enough time in a day
I know what you mean, I seem to take many shots on the weekend, but the workday has not allowed much time for photos. The weather hasn't helped, if only the Rokinon was weather-sealed!

I like the 10-17mm a lot, I'd have bought one myself, if I hadn't come across a used Rokinon 8mm at a great price.
04-24-2017, 06:43 PM   #243
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I don't know what attachment you mean. I have a small (called jr) tripod head on my monopod.
the tripod head on my monopod - the screw is too large to connect to my camera body.

so i presume there is an additional attachment i can buy which will connect to the bigger screw thread, and then have a smaller screw thread on top for my camera. i just don't know what they're called so i can buy it.
04-24-2017, 06:45 PM - 1 Like   #244

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
Can you believe it I'm sick again. This time it's a stomach bug and it started yesterday. With any luck it will have run its course by tomorrow but I won't make any promises. Fingers crossed for a much better day tomorrow.

04-24-2017, 06:47 PM - 1 Like   #245
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
i just don't know what they're called so i can buy it.
I think they are just called a bushing.

Like these at B&H

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/382669-REG/Manfrotto_148KN_148KN_Redu...et.html?sts=pi
04-24-2017, 06:52 PM   #246
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I think they are just called a bushing.

Like these at B&H

Manfrotto 148KN Reducing Bushing Set - 3/8"-16 to 148KN B&H
awesome! i never knew such a word existed. ebaying options now. thanks so much!
04-24-2017, 06:56 PM   #247
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You're welcome! They probably have a different name for them in Oz.

04-24-2017, 07:22 PM   #248
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The type linked is to allow a camera or tripod head with a 3/849th inch socket to connect to a tripod with only a 1/4 inch stud.

You need this type of adapter:

Desmond DTR-1 3/8"-16 to 1/4"-20 Tripod Thread DTR-1
04-24-2017, 08:01 PM   #249
Veteran Member

Hrmm. This is what i just bought. Same kind of thing? Or will i regret not having that little round base?
Look at this on eBay 1/4" inch to 3/8" Convert Screw tripod monopod Adapter Camera converter DSLR | eBay
04-24-2017, 09:55 PM   #250
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

My question too UV. Why would the bushing I linked to not be the same, if it converts a screw that is too large to a screw the right size. I have one of these I bought a few years ago.
04-25-2017, 01:45 AM   #251
Veteran Member

Hrmm. This is what i just bought. Same kind of thing? Or will i regret not having that little round base?
Look at this on eBay 1/4" inch to 3/8" Convert Screw tripod monopod Adapter Camera converter DSLR | eBay
I think you will find that is the opposite of what you need - it adapts a 1/4" screw to a 3/8" hole, and you need to adapt a 3/8" screw to a 1/4" hole.

The three options as I see it:

1. An adaptor like the Desmond product UncleVanya linked to.

2. A dedicated head like this which is the one I use with my SIRUI monopod. It lets me tilt the camera relative to the angle of the monopod, which is sometimes useful.

3. Learning how to use the monopod directly with a camera. If it's a Manfrotto, there is a good chance it natively supports both 3/8 and 1/4 thread somehow. Either part of the screw pushes down on a spring to reveal a narrow screw within, or the top of the monopod detaches and can be flipped over, or something like that. If you post some close up pictures of the monopod we might be able to figure it out with you.

Last edited by Sluggo; 04-25-2017 at 03:30 PM. Reason: wrong word, 'tripod' instead of 'monopod'
04-25-2017, 02:52 AM   #252
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sluggo Quote
I think you will find that is the opposite of what you need - it adapts a 1/4" screw to a 3/8" hole, and you need to adapt a 3/8" screw to a 1/4" hole.

2. A dedicated head like this which is the one I use with my SIRUI monopod. It lets me tilt the camera relative to the angle of the monopod, which is sometimes useful.

3. Learning how to use the tripod directly with a camera. If it's a Manfrotto, there is a good chance it natively supports both 3/8 and 1/4 thread somehow. Either part of the screw pushes down on a spring to reveal a narrow screw within, or the top of the monopod detaches and can be flipped over, or something like that. If you post some close up pictures of the monopod we might be able to figure it out with you.
Dammit. I thought I had read the conversion correctly and then realize I didn't want to wait over a month for it to arrive and purchasedo one from Australia instead. On the plus side it should mean it should arrive early.even if I just threw 3.25 down the drain.

I'll take some photos tomorrow to show you the head
04-25-2017, 03:35 AM   #253
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
And I left the party two weeks ago
Fisheyes are niche lenses, and the effect gets old pretty quickly unless used sparingly. I nearly always have my DA10-17 in the bag though.
Same here on both accounts. I do like how the distortion makes you see the world differently.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sluggo Quote

3. Learning how to use the tripod directly with a camera. If it's a Manfrotto, there is a good chance it natively supports both 3/8 and 1/4 thread somehow. Either part of the screw pushes down on a spring to reveal a narrow screw within, or the top of the monopod detaches and can be flipped over, or something like that. If you post some close up pictures of the monopod we might be able to figure it out with you.
You beat me to this. I have the bushings that came with another tripod ( a gorillapod model) that has a 1/4" screw to mount directly to the camera. It came with the bushings so i could to mount a ballhead to it. I also bought a dedicated tile head for my monopod (mine is the Sirui L-10 head), and I really like it for the added tilt ability. It's been very useful, especially now that I have the DFA 150-450. A bird up in the trees shot would be very awkward without one.

Last edited by wstruth; 04-25-2017 at 04:08 AM.
04-25-2017, 03:40 AM   #254
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

there are usually more than one type of adapter, or bushing, so don't despair, as long as it converts one size to the other and fits your monopod, it will do. have an old Slik monopod which is fine enough, but I'd prefer something a little sturdier, with a ball head option, for hiking or street photos. I like have a strap of some sort for attaching to a pack, hanging off a shoulder for hands-free operation, and a strap can be used as a brace for additional stability.
04-25-2017, 04:13 AM   #255
Veteran Member

the tripod head on my monopod - the screw is too large to connect to my camera body.

so i presume there is an additional attachment i can buy which will connect to the bigger screw thread, and then have a smaller screw thread on top for my camera. i just don't know what they're called so i can buy it.
FYI according to B&H the current model of the 290 has a reversible mounting screw.
Manfrotto 290 Aluminum Monopod MM290A4US B&H Photo Video