Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 146 Likes Search this Thread
04-13-2017, 03:38 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Cheer me up! Post your photos!

I am in the hospital for a few days (I'll probably be be fine, don't worry!), and it is uncomfortable, boring, and lonely.

But you can help! If you wouldn't mind, I would really enjoy it if you could post your favorite (or one of your favorite) images and the story behind it. I may not be able to shoot, but it would be awesome to absorb y'all's passion, technique, and sense of adventure.

04-13-2017, 03:47 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Outis Quote
Cheer me up!
Hi Outis. I hope this cheers you up a little. While on holiday on one of Tasmania's smaller islands, this baby wallaby approached us without fear, and sat not 5 feet away. It is a " wild " animal, but the cutest wild animal you will see. I don't know what it was doing with its front paws, but I bet if I had given it an harmonica, it would have belted out a tune for us. Feel better soon !!

04-13-2017, 03:51 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Happy to oblige.

The photo below was one of my first photos ever taken with a DSLR and still remains my favorite photo until this day.

I was walking around in Vienna and wanted to take a shot of a movie poster in a cinema showcase, just because I love the movie. The moment I pressed the shutter, some cinema employee lifted the showcase, and somehow the buildings behind me reflected on it. I couldn't see what happened on the camera screen but I thought I would delete the photo at home. Seeing the capture on the computer screen, I've changed my mind. It looks like they were walking around through Vienna, just like I was.

This was the original poster:

Hope you get better really soon!
04-13-2017, 04:18 AM - 4 Likes   #4
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Whatever can ease the boredom

Here's a shot from the first summer with my K-5. Never having owned a proper wide angle lens before I was eager to try out the Sigma 10-20. This is from the Jotunheimen mountains in Norway. I attempted to catch the last rays of the setting sun painting the mountain red and am quite happy with the result even if I didn't know too well what I was doing

04-13-2017, 04:43 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here are some photos and a story for you

this series is a very small selection of our photographs arising from an encounter in the Serengeti National Park in Tanzania.

We visited the Arusha,Tarangire, Lake Manyara and Serengeti National Parks as well as the Ngorongoro Crater as part of our 25th Wedding Anniversary trip to Africa late June, early July 2016. It was our first trip to Africa

Of all wild animals, I have always been partial to cheetahs which I had only seen before at zoos or the Animal Kingdom Theme Park in Walt Disney World near Orlando Florida.

They are the most fragile of the large cats, very fast, but for short distances only, their body "freezes" with lactic acid cramping their muscles so they cannot move after a chase for a period of time, they are too weak to defend their kills from other big cats or hyenas or drag them off to safety like a leopard and they are beautiful.

We were hoping to see a successful chase but never did. We did find a mother cheetah and young cub (less than 4 months old judging from its coat) eating after a successful hunt of a Thomson's Gazelle. We were the first at the scene and we stayed until the vultures and a lone jackal had started their clean up of the carcass left by the cheetahs.

for the most part they took turns with the other looking around keeping watch. The vultures came in but didn't get close until the cheetahs had moved away and the vultures had moved in and a lone jackal then joined them

1 + 2 - can you find the cub? hint: look low

Its dark black and grey long guard hairs allows it to disappear into the grasses if it went low and froze

1 - let's eat

2- the proud mother

3 - the mother and cub

4 - the cub alone

these images were captured by my K 5 II + Tamron AF 70-300mm F4-5.6 LD Macro 1:2 braced on the roof of the vehicle and resting on sand bags. So I had a downward view point. The vehicle was turned off to prevent vibration from the engine.

If you are bored and want to see more photos from the trip, please send me a pm and I will post others in this thread or you could look at some that I have posted elsewhere in the Forum's threads.

enjoy
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 

Last edited by aslyfox; 04-13-2017 at 05:44 AM.
04-13-2017, 04:56 AM - 5 Likes   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry to hear of your hospital visit, Outis Good luck with it!

I took a photo just this morning with the Q7 and 02 standard zoom lens, trying out a small desktop tripod I picked up at a recent show.

This is my much-loved, and (to his intense dislike) much-photographed cat, Boo Boo. His second-favourite thing, after food, is a nice new cardboard box to lie in, especially if he can rest his chin on the flap. He's particularly pleased with this box that arrived a few days ago
Attached Images

Last edited by BigMackCam; 04-13-2017 at 05:01 AM.
04-13-2017, 05:21 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

The hardest thing to do while hospitalized is rest. There seems to multiple people assigned to waking you up just when you start falling asleep. Here is one of the puppies we fostered in 2014 to help you find your sleeping sweet spot.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Tim

04-13-2017, 05:28 AM - 3 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

Some smiles to ,hopefully, cheer you up.This family had just visited a Bhuddist temple in Mandalay,Myanmar(Burma) and happily posed for me.

Get well soon.
04-13-2017, 05:28 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Taken on the last day of a South America trip, this Austral Parakeet seems to have wanted to say hi. I can't claim much credit for capturing the "defining moment" - I didn't see the wave until I opened the file on my laptop.

04-13-2017, 05:57 AM - 6 Likes   #10
Closed Account

Found another one !!! I was having a play, photographing some miniature " people." I call this " The Artist and the Critic." All the artwork is various photos of mine. Are you feeling better yet?

04-13-2017, 06:04 AM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Found another one !!! I was having a play, photographing some miniature " people." I call this " The Artist and the Critic." All the artwork is various photos of mine. Are you feeling better yet?

or bored???

04-13-2017, 08:07 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote

Peter,where was the photo of the terracing taken?
04-13-2017, 09:04 AM - 5 Likes   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Several of mine that I like. All save one have been posted on PF, hopefully in threads you don't follow.
Attached Images

04-13-2017, 09:17 AM - 4 Likes   #14
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Another shot from that first summer with the K-5, this one with the kit lens. There wasn't much thought behind the point of view chosen, I guess I just liked the view Three exposures fused together in Photomatix to enhance the reflections in the river. I find the old wooden store houses really picturesque.

The view is from the old city bridge over the river Nitelva in Trondheim, Norway.

04-13-2017, 09:19 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hope you're feeling better soon
Here's a shot from a warm early February evening. I took Jeannie, our over-photographed shih-poo to Bear Creek around sunset.