Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2020, 12:45 AM   #766
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HoutHans Quote
Wow, how do you get clouds like that? And it looks as if you have them quite frequently. Great image of these imposing clouds. They are badder than anything we have over here.
I'd have to go back to when this was taken to see which way it was traveling, east or west to try and answer that question. I was on the sixth floor of a six storey apartment block so if anything is going to help, that is as it seems closer than it probably was. But it certainly looked ominous and that's what it felt like at the time.

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Thats a knockout...
Cheers mate, this was part of a series that I'll add to this thread.

Tas

12-17-2020, 01:22 AM - 1 Like   #767
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rjbrett Quote
Rain on the river, Pentax K10d & SMC DA 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL;

This is a lovely image that works excellently in monochrome. I like the patterns in the water that add to the flow in the river suggested by the perspective.
12-17-2020, 02:05 AM - 5 Likes   #768
Pentaxian

Not the worst weather. Dark, overcast, very windy and very cold... and I loved every second of it.
Coincidentally, I got back to the car, closed the door and it started hammering down. Timing was impeccable.
12-17-2020, 02:26 PM - 8 Likes   #769
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sunset thunderstorm...

12-17-2020, 02:55 PM - 11 Likes   #770
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cool to see some more storms shots appearing.

Tas
12-18-2020, 12:38 AM   #771
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Sunset thunderstorm...
That's a very ominous sky.

---------- Post added 12-18-20 at 12:39 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote

Tas
As is this one. Again, it allmost too bad we don't get too many of these skies in the netherlands.
12-18-2020, 01:15 AM   #772
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is a lovely image
Thanks for your comments! - I did wonder as I was processing it that it might have been better if I had wind driven waves of rain drops across the waters' surface, but I do think it is just fine, as you've said. I went out that morning in the rain with my K10d and original copy of the kit 18-55 lens, as I'd remembered it as being soft and dreamy, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it was. Perhaps the quick clean I gave before I went out, the wipe of the raindrops from the wet front element with my dirty t-shirt, or my improved ability to use it helped .

I'd also wanted to photograph some bright yellow shade sails in the park, but being unable to get a good angle on them found bright yellow park furniture, and a near psychedelic skate arena so took these photos instead. Looking to emphasize the bright glow these yellows seem to take on in the rain I was hoping the lens would give a blur to the pictures, but instead had to add it during processing;

Last edited by rjbrett; 12-18-2020 at 01:28 AM.
12-18-2020, 04:14 AM - 4 Likes   #773
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A bluejay attempting to hide from the camera during a snowstorm. He moved his head just enough to cause motion blur.
K-3, DFA 150-450 @ 380mm 1/180th, f5.6 with flash.
Attached Images

12-18-2020, 04:19 AM - 7 Likes   #774
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A Norfolk Southern freight train is dwarfed by the ridges of the Conemaugh River Valley at Bolivar, Pennsylvania.
KP with HD55-300 PLM
Attached Images

12-18-2020, 04:23 AM   #775
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I don't expect to see Thunderstorms until spring, but I hope to get some impressive snowladen clouds moving in over the Blue Ridge Mountains, and a lot of mist and fog
QuoteOriginally posted by rjbrett Quote
emphasize the bright glow these yellows seem to take on in the rain
Yes, depending on the available light, a rainy day really adds a sheen to brightly colored objects
QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
He moved his head just enough to cause motion blur.
I have the same problem, I think one needs to use at least 1/250 to stop any motion. We have several tress in the backyard that the birds shelter in during storms. always a great subject
12-18-2020, 05:24 PM - 3 Likes   #776
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Evidence of previous bad weather remains on the hill tops
12-19-2020, 06:30 AM - 1 Like   #777
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
A Norfolk Southern freight train is dwarfed by the ridges of the Conemaugh River Valley at Bolivar, Pennsylvania.
KP with HD55-300 PLM
Great image, i like the way the railroad tracks frame the image and the snow really helps them stand out.
12-20-2020, 12:28 AM   #778
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

Tas
Great one Tas

Plus a lightning bolt
12-20-2020, 02:52 AM - 8 Likes   #779
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As is this one. Again, it allmost too bad we don't get too many of these skies in the netherlands.
Ta mate, I'm about 3 hours west of my place where the plains allow a better view of the storms but it's been a while since I got to chase a storm and it was fun. Hope you find something over your way.

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I don't expect to see Thunderstorms until spring, but I hope to get some impressive snowladen clouds moving in over the Blue Ridge Mountains, and a lot of mist and fog
I look forward to seeing those, it's the contrast in seasons and landscapes that I really enjoy with this thread. It was a great idea and I'm glad you had it listed in your signature thingy.

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Great one TasPlus a lightning bolt
Thanks it was pure luck as I had to just try and time the flashes and there were two just as I started to press the shutter and for a minute I thought I'd completely missed it. Tinny as they used to say.

This image was taken from the best vantage point I found chasing this storm. It was a bit scary though as the lightning was hitting all over the place and I'd have been toast if luck wasn't with me. As I post this I can hear another storm coming but looking at the radar it seems too far south of Brisbane to chase it. Work tomorrow anyway so maybe watch from the window and see what I get.

Tas
12-20-2020, 03:15 AM   #780
Pentaxian

Ta mate, I'm about 3 hours west of my place where the plains allow a better view of the storms but it's been a while since I got to chase a storm and it was fun. Hope you find something over your way.

This image was taken from the best vantage point I found chasing this storm. It was a bit scary though as the lightning was hitting all over the place and I'd have been toast if luck wasn't with me. As I post this I can hear another storm coming but looking at the radar it seems too far south of Brisbane to chase it. Work tomorrow anyway so maybe watch from the window and see what I get.

Tas
Another great image. Just grey dreariness over here.