Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2021, 06:57 PM - 12 Likes   #856
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Plan A wasn't going to work however comma

The area around Brisbane in Queensland is dotted with small towns and is primarily rural. It is known as the scenic rim due to the many ancient volcanic features like the couple shown here. The one on the right is Ivory Rock and I have in a previous life run up there a couple of times. Not a bad run.

The image was captured from a small town called Peak Crossing and shows some storm build up that put paid to my plans for capturing the moonrise before sunset. This image was captured using the K-1 and the Zeiss Makro Planar 2/50 ZK.

Tas

01-21-2021, 01:18 PM - 7 Likes   #857
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Light snow flurries and former Quebec, North Shore & Labrador EMD locomotive #301, on the Buffalo & Pittsburgh RR at Creekside, PA
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
01-21-2021, 01:51 PM   #858
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
The area around Brisbane in Queensland is dotted with small towns and is primarily rural. It is known as the scenic rim due to the many ancient volcanic features like the couple shown here. The one on the right is Ivory Rock and I have in a previous life run up there a couple of times. Not a bad run.

The image was captured from a small town called Peak Crossing and shows some storm build up that put paid to my plans for capturing the moonrise before sunset. This image was captured using the K-1 and the Zeiss Makro Planar 2/50 ZK.

Tas
Awe-inspiring!
01-21-2021, 09:18 PM - 7 Likes   #859
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Awe-inspiring!
Cheers mate.

It was a good couple of days to be out in that area with the storms rolling through. I got to see the most awesome lightning strike when I was looking (unsuccessfully) for a place to stop and set up. So frustrating as another person was out doing the same thing and was literally right in front of me and pulled up where I had planned to and the only safe spot for the view. But the good thing about storms is even when you miss those shots there's usually something to capture like the above cloud stack. It dwarfs the landscape.

The next day I drove through this area and ended up at a dam location popular with boaties. The area has some cool hill structures that ring the area and in this case one decided to wear a hat.

The grey is an indication of the storm systems in the area but they moved quickly and created some funky vistas like this.

I captured a pano of the area at the same time which shows what the skies were like. Two systems in play one heading south east and the other north east. And there I was in the middle and unable to get in the right location to capture them. Frustrating but that's life when you're a hack at storm chasing.

Tas

01-21-2021, 10:01 PM   #860
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Nice shots Tas

Being a hack and safe ... is .......

Dave
01-21-2021, 10:53 PM   #861
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Nice shots Tas

Being a hack and safe ... is .......

Dave
Cheers Dave.
01-21-2021, 11:29 PM   #862
Pentaxian

Cheers mate.

It was a good couple of days to be out in that area with the storms rolling through. I got to see the most awesome lightning strike when I was looking (unsuccessfully) for a place to stop and set up. So frustrating as another person was out doing the same thing and was literally right in front of me and pulled up where I had planned to and the only safe spot for the view. But the good thing about storms is even when you miss those shots there's usually something to capture like the above cloud stack. It dwarfs the landscape.

The next day I drove through this area and ended up at a dam location popular with boaties. The area has some cool hill structures that ring the area and in this case one decided to wear a hat.

The grey is an indication of the storm systems in the area but they moved quickly and created some funky vistas like this.

I captured a pano of the area at the same time which shows what the skies were like. Two systems in play one heading south east and the other north east. And there I was in the middle and unable to get in the right location to capture them. Frustrating but that's life when you're a hack at storm chasing.

Tas
Great images, Tas, the top one definitely. It shows great detail in that imposing cloud.

01-22-2021, 03:15 PM - 14 Likes   #863
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HoutHans Quote
Great images, Tas, the top one definitely. It shows great detail in that imposing cloud.
Ta mate.

There was a bit of a break in the clouds that gave me some extra light and contrast that for most of the day was not present. I like cloud when the light plays with the scene, it's all the more magical for me and as you can see from the pano above when it's not there the light is really flat.

When I first went chasing storms in 2012 I was pausing to capture more light on clouds photos than storm pics. Some of that was needing to learn how to read the skies and a storm and comparing what I see to what is happening on the radar. Here's an image during my first outing chasing storms.

This scene was captured after I drove up the Brisbane valley to a town called Esk. I paused there for a pie for brekkie then kept heading north towards a town called Toogoolawah. I was about 5 mins out of town and behind two other cars when this hail storm came in over the top of me. I was listening to the banging and expecting my car to look like a golf ball when I pulled up in town. Thankfully that wasn't the case.

I got a couple of lumpy cloud images from Toogoolawah then kept following the road north to the D'Aguilar Highway that took me east and a road that would let me travel back south on the west side of Somerset Dam. This image was captured from a spot beside the dam towards the storms so I knew I needed to head south to catch up with them. After driving through another (or the same) hail storm I got no more images after those caught from this spot so headed home to download and plan on which way to go next with more storms in the area. It was while I was at home that I heard the rumbly rumbly of another storm rolling in so checked the radar, grabbed my kit and jumped in the car. 30secs up the road I was hit by torrential rain so after having been caught in hail twice I decided to turn back home. Within seconds of driving in my garage the hail came down.

The hail this time would have been damaging to my car as it took chunks out of timber on my home, it dented corrugated iron and the metal whirly birds on my roof. Even trees had huge dents in them, it was nasty. But it was also fun and why over the summer months, South East Queensland can be a great place to capture some storm images.

Tas
01-22-2021, 05:35 PM   #864
dbs
Pentaxian

Hi Tas

Another nice one.

Last time we had hail like that a mini tornado wiped out a section of town ( Blyth S A ) in 2016.

Dave
01-22-2021, 07:01 PM   #865
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Hi Tas

Another nice one.

Last time we had hail like that a mini tornado wiped out a section of town ( Blyth S A ) in 2016.

Dave
Day of the state-wide blackout?
01-22-2021, 07:04 PM   #866
dbs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
Day of the state-wide blackout?
Yes
Some of the main transmission lines came down / damaged in the storm
01-23-2021, 06:51 AM   #867
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ta mate.

There was a bit of a break in the clouds that gave me some extra light and contrast that for most of the day was not present. I like cloud when the light plays with the scene, it's all the more magical for me and as you can see from the pano above when it's not there the light is really flat.

When I first went chasing storms in 2012 I was pausing to capture more light on clouds photos than storm pics. Some of that was needing to learn how to read the skies and a storm and comparing what I see to what is happening on the radar. Here's an image during my first outing chasing storms.

This scene was captured after I drove up the Brisbane valley to a town called Esk. I paused there for a pie for brekkie then kept heading north towards a town called Toogoolawah. I was about 5 mins out of town and behind two other cars when this hail storm came in over the top of me. I was listening to the banging and expecting my car to look like a golf ball when I pulled up in town. Thankfully that wasn't the case.

I got a couple of lumpy cloud images from Toogoolawah then kept following the road north to the D'Aguilar Highway that took me east and a road that would let me travel back south on the west side of Somerset Dam. This image was captured from a spot beside the dam towards the storms so I knew I needed to head south to catch up with them. After driving through another (or the same) hail storm I got no more images after those caught from this spot so headed home to download and plan on which way to go next with more storms in the area. It was while I was at home that I heard the rumbly rumbly of another storm rolling in so checked the radar, grabbed my kit and jumped in the car. 30secs up the road I was hit by torrential rain so after having been caught in hail twice I decided to turn back home. Within seconds of driving in my garage the hail came down.

The hail this time would have been damaging to my car as it took chunks out of timber on my home, it dented corrugated iron and the metal whirly birds on my roof. Even trees had huge dents in them, it was nasty. But it was also fun and why over the summer months, South East Queensland can be a great place to capture some storm images.

Tas
"South East Queensland can be a great place to capture some storm images."
Very nice photo but I'm not sure I envy you the opportunity.
01-23-2021, 11:21 AM - 7 Likes   #868
Veteran Member

small snow squalls on the way t the beginning of my walk yesterday

01-25-2021, 03:26 PM - 7 Likes   #869
Pentaxian

Desert snow
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
02-02-2021, 09:37 PM - 7 Likes   #870
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Failing light, blowing snow and a fast moving train at Torrance, PA.
K-3 and Vivitar 28-210mm f3.8-5.3
Attached Images