Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5201 Likes Search this Thread
06-09-2021, 07:08 AM   #1066
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had to google it too and that's an apt description. Very nice.

06-09-2021, 07:57 AM - 1 Like   #1067
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by HoutHans Quote
I had to google the Hudson River School, but I see what you mean with this image. It does have that feel to it with the mist and the light playing with the textures. Well done.
Thanks! I don't go in for fancy pp much but this was fun.
06-10-2021, 05:03 PM - 10 Likes   #1068
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K-1 II and D FA 28-105.

06-11-2021, 04:34 AM   #1069
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm planning a road trip this summer through big sky country just for images like the ones above.

06-12-2021, 01:18 AM   #1070
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
K-1 II and D FA 28-105.

I can understand why you'd want to have a camera along when travelling in that part of the world. Marvelous images, both in colour and monochrome.
06-12-2021, 08:28 AM - 1 Like   #1071
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HoutHans Quote
I can understand why you'd want to have a camera along when travelling in that part of the world. Marvelous images, both in colour and monochrome.
Thank you. I've been trying remember to put a camera in the car whenever I go out just for that reason.
06-12-2021, 08:56 AM - 8 Likes   #1072
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

this is the backside of a thunderstorm, with the sunset giving all the moody colors I could ask for:

06-12-2021, 08:57 AM - 6 Likes   #1073
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

more of the same storm, this to the north of us

06-12-2021, 09:15 AM - 1 Like   #1074
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
the backside of a thunderstorm
Great images. 20 years ago when I lived in Texas, I saw lightning that appeared to crawl across the storm clouds, I've never seen anything like it since. We've had some T-storms recently, but the sky has been socked in and so it's only like a big flash diffused by a curtain, not very photogenic
06-12-2021, 09:18 AM - 1 Like   #1075
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
this is the backside of a thunderstorm, with the sunset giving all the moody colors I could ask for:

Great ones!
06-12-2021, 09:47 AM - 1 Like   #1076
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

more of the same storm, this to the north of us
Great images - you're making me homesick!
06-12-2021, 10:22 AM   #1077
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Beautiful! How did you capture these? I read in your Flickr comment that you didn't use a trigger. I've tried "long exposure and shoot and wait" technique in the past with limited success, but you only used 1/15 to 1/25 sec. Does a lightning strike with earth-shuttering earth-shattering sound every time you press the shutter button?

Last edited by kwb; 06-12-2021 at 01:45 PM. Reason: unintended typo, earth-shuttering -> earth-shattering ;)
06-12-2021, 12:00 PM - 3 Likes   #1078
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jan178 Quote
Great ones!
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Great images. 20 years ago when I lived in Texas, I saw lightning that appeared to crawl across the storm clouds, I've never seen anything like it since. We've had some T-storms recently, but the sky has been socked in and so it's only like a big flash diffused by a curtain, not very photogenic
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Great images - you're making me homesick!

thank you...

QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote
Beautiful! How did you capture these? I read in your Flickr comment that you didn't use a trigger. I've tried "long exposure and shoot and wait" technique in the past with limited success, but you only used 1/15 to 1/25 sec. Does a lightning strike with earth-shuttering sound every time you press the shutter button?

thank you....

that is correct - these are all hand-held, without the benefit of a trigger...

while I was out shooting the sunset, I noticed that the thunderstorm was continuing to produce lightning in the southeastern sky...

so I turned on the high-speed continuous shooting on the K-3, set up aperture/ISO for a decently-lit shot and waited for the next burst of lightning....

needless to say, I missed some shots, and also had multiple shots that I did not use/process, but I came back with a handful of decent images...
06-12-2021, 01:58 PM - 1 Like   #1079
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

thank you....
that is correct - these are all hand-held, without the benefit of a trigger...
For 1/1000 sec or so, I thought that you meant that my last sentence was correct i.e. "Does a lightning strike with earth-shuttering earth-shattering sound every time you press the shutter button?"

But seriously, thank you very much for your explanation. Next time I encounter a thunderstorm I might try burst shooting, though my KP might be a bit limited in that regard.
06-12-2021, 02:26 PM - 1 Like   #1080
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote
For 1/1000 sec or so, I thought that you meant that my last sentence was correct i.e. "Does a lightning strike with earth-shuttering earth-shattering sound every time you press the shutter button?"

But seriously, thank you very much for your explanation. Next time I encounter a thunderstorm I might try burst shooting, though my KP might be a bit limited in that regard.

the KP should be quite capable; these were shot with a first-gen K-3....