PENTAX KP  Photo 
01-23-2022, 04:48 PM   #1232
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Crooski Quote
Strong wind on the pier
Fantastic! I love being by the ocean or bay in a storm, from a safe distance at least
01-24-2022, 05:36 AM - 9 Likes   #1233
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Your package is on the way!
Attached Images

01-24-2022, 06:43 AM   #1234
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Fantastic! I love being by the ocean or bay in a storm, from a safe distance at least
There is only 1 warning and that is: Even in calm weather dangerous waves can occur as aresult of schipping

01-24-2022, 07:32 AM - 7 Likes   #1235
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K-70 with DA XS 40/2.8 Westmoreland County Pennsylvania
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
01-25-2022, 05:37 AM - 11 Likes   #1236
Pentaxian

A disappointing lack of snow this year but I will take the fog when it comes.

01-26-2022, 12:39 AM - 1 Like   #1237
Pentaxian

That is exquisite and beats snow hands down IMHO. Thanks for sharing.

01-27-2022, 06:47 AM - 4 Likes   #1238
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ice-diving is fun. Up in the mountains, preferably in a lake that has good visibility. Romania has very few, none accessible. Austria has many clear-water lakes to dive-in.

That's me at Bolboci. Pentax K30 + DA 18-135 WR
01-27-2022, 06:59 AM   #1239
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CristiC Quote
Ice-diving is fun. Up in the mountains, preferably in a lake that has good visibility. Romania has very few, none accessible. Austria has many clear-water lakes to dive-in.

That's me at Bolboci. Pentax K30 + DA 18-135 WR
Ice diving is fun Uh, I will just have to take your word for it! No way, even if I were physically able!
01-27-2022, 07:27 AM - 2 Likes   #1240
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, first you need to be a certified SCUBA diver and have some lots of experience gathered already; second, you have to like it cold - the water I mean; third, you need extra training for overhead environments (like cave diving) and tethered diving and last, but not least, you need to crave for that special light that gets through the ice. It's not about diving to the depths - go just under the surface, maybe 1m or so. Others go to Iceland to see glacier caves. Or to Antarctica. I love ice.

Regarding physical ability - it's nothing special, contrary to many beliefs, at any age and even with severe disabilities. The purpose of ice-diving, for me, is contemplation of gorgeous light, looking upwards to the icy surface.
01-28-2022, 04:25 AM - 2 Likes   #1241
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
Ice diving is fun Uh, I will just have to take your word for it! No way, even if I were physically able!
No, it really is fun (perhaps an acquired taste) ! I used to do this as well, before my ears got messed up. It is absolutely amazing to see the ice and the smaller and bigger structures that form underneath it. Nice images and do you plan to take a camera in an underwater housing with you?
01-28-2022, 07:47 AM - 1 Like   #1242
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Those images are a few years old. They were made with a Pentax K-30. I wasn't able to find a proper underwater housing made for Pentax cameras.

I used an Olympus (series "Tough") point-and-shoot camera underwater and as long as the ISO is set below 200, on a nice sunny day under the ice, it may give some acceptable JPGs. I also have a Meike housing for a Sony A6000 that is no-where near my expectations for an acceptable digital camera underwater. I also use two Canon DSLRs but wasn't willing to pay double the the camera's value for a dedicated housing. Plus dome-port for UWA.

There are possible DIY solutions, though, as long as the diving depth is kept shallow (such as when ice-diving). My biggest problem now is the pandemic, because I have to travel more than 1000 km W, up to mountain lakes in Austria (crystal-clear water, 30+ m vis) and February 2022 doesn't look good for travel.

Traditionally, February is the month when ice thickness reaches at least 15cm, which is required. Shore diving under less ice (and possibly moving ice) has killed divers before, that is why it needs to be done according to certain conditions and standards.

The good news over the past few years is that diving gear - electronics - has improved a lot. UW power availability/ energy density, lighting, usable computing power - all that changed to the point where I can design a DIY plastic pipe housing, based on a cheap and small (credit-card-size) "Raspberry Pi" single-board-computer that may control "robot arms"/servos that push buttons on the camera. Inputs are magnetic reed-switches on the outside of the pipe and no perforations - that is the weak point for leakage.

Another possibility is to operate an external display that is much bigger than the camera display. It can control/command the camera (within the housing) through WiFi. I know of people who filled their common-off-the-shelf tablet with oil, to use it underwater. Search the finnish Alleco Oy.

---------- Post added 01-28-22 at 05:04 PM ----------

Hell, I'm so desperate now to get under ice that I'd be willing to drill a fishing hole in the ice and dip a selfie-stick underwater with a GoPro or something small.

This here might work as well with a Pentax, set on 12-second timer, inside the bag.
01-28-2022, 06:27 PM - 9 Likes   #1243
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Bad weather doesn't only make good landscape pictures

Ice and Fire
01-29-2022, 01:56 AM   #1244
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CristiC Quote
Those images are a few years old. They were made with a Pentax K-30. I wasn't able to find a proper underwater housing made for Pentax cameras.

I used an Olympus (series "Tough") point-and-shoot camera underwater and as long as the ISO is set below 200, on a nice sunny day under the ice, it may give some acceptable JPGs. I also have a Meike housing for a Sony A6000 that is no-where near my expectations for an acceptable digital camera underwater. I also use two Canon DSLRs but wasn't willing to pay double the the camera's value for a dedicated housing. Plus dome-port for UWA.

There are possible DIY solutions, though, as long as the diving depth is kept shallow (such as when ice-diving). My biggest problem now is the pandemic, because I have to travel more than 1000 km W, up to mountain lakes in Austria (crystal-clear water, 30+ m vis) and February 2022 doesn't look good for travel.

Traditionally, February is the month when ice thickness reaches at least 15cm, which is required. Shore diving under less ice (and possibly moving ice) has killed divers before, that is why it needs to be done according to certain conditions and standards.

The good news over the past few years is that diving gear - electronics - has improved a lot. UW power availability/ energy density, lighting, usable computing power - all that changed to the point where I can design a DIY plastic pipe housing, based on a cheap and small (credit-card-size) "Raspberry Pi" single-board-computer that may control "robot arms"/servos that push buttons on the camera. Inputs are magnetic reed-switches on the outside of the pipe and no perforations - that is the weak point for leakage.

Another possibility is to operate an external display that is much bigger than the camera display. It can control/command the camera (within the housing) through WiFi. I know of people who filled their common-off-the-shelf tablet with oil, to use it underwater. Search the finnish Alleco Oy.

---------- Post added 01-28-22 at 05:04 PM ----------

Hell, I'm so desperate now to get under ice that I'd be willing to drill a fishing hole in the ice and dip a selfie-stick underwater with a GoPro or something small.

This here might work as well with a Pentax, set on 12-second timer, inside the bag.
Yup, that's what I remember as well from my underwater photography days: gear was so expensive and I would always be paranoid to the extreme when sealing everything up. I'd have thought that there would be ice in Romania, given its more continental climate than what we have over here in the Netherlands, or is the black sea warming things up too much? The plans to build your own remote controlled camera seem very nice. You could consider not using the physical buttons at all, and connect it through a Raspberry and the usb connection (I'm working on doing that for astrophotography, but then you'd need something to connect to the RPi frirs, but that could be your oiled tablet (never herad of that before, so thanks for that). Anyway, nice pics and a very nice activity that brings back some memories for me.
01-29-2022, 05:23 PM - 2 Likes   #1245
Pentaxian

walk in the blizzard today