Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5206 Likes Search this Thread
02-07-2018, 03:51 PM - 1 Like   #166
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Lake Grapevine, located between Dallas and Ft Worth, near DFW Airport. Practically in my backyard, too
When I went to TCU as a grad student I used to go to Benbrook and Lake Worth a lot.

The thing I HATE about Texas to this day (I was back just a few weeks ago for a family wedding and we went to Pedernales and hiked Austin trails) is that you CANNOT walk on the countryside. And the countryside is FILLED with UGLY junk to keep people out.

What a sad excuse for a place to want to be. (Forgive me for saying this.)

In Newfoundland you just stop your car and get out. Wilderness (not always pristine, but dirty for different reasons) is everywhere. There is nothing and no one to stop you. I do of course realize the population pressure differences. But then I used to live in northern Minnesota and the Quetico earlier in my life too. There simply just are other models than total private ownership by plutocrats or plutocratic corporations.

Last edited by jgnfld; 02-07-2018 at 03:57 PM.
02-07-2018, 09:04 PM   #167
whafrog

A couple in B&W at Grand Beach, on the shores of Lake Winnipeg. The lumps in the distance are early ice (from November or so) piled up and wind-carved into "regularly-irregular" bumps. The wind has scoured the loose snow away, to reveal the frozen sand/ice of the beach. We then had a brief warm spell (about -2C, or 30F), got some sleet and freezing drizzle, but all that's left of that are the arrow bits in the wind-shadow of the frozen pebbles, and the stuff clinging to the stick like a tattered flag. It was about -25C that day, with a stiff wind. The GoPro died early, but the K-70 kept on trucking...

And where all that sleet ended up? Behind the dunes, like frozen whipped cream...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 

Last edited by whafrog; 02-07-2018 at 09:11 PM. Reason: added photo
02-08-2018, 10:37 AM   #168
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
When I went to TCU as a grad student I used to go to Benbrook and Lake Worth a lot.

The thing I HATE about Texas to this day (I was back just a few weeks ago for a family wedding and we went to Pedernales and hiked Austin trails) is that you CANNOT walk on the countryside. And the countryside is FILLED with UGLY junk to keep people out.

What a sad excuse for a place to want to be. (Forgive me for saying this.)

In Newfoundland you just stop your car and get out. Wilderness (not always pristine, but dirty for different reasons) is everywhere. There is nothing and no one to stop you. I do of course realize the population pressure differences. But then I used to live in northern Minnesota and the Quetico earlier in my life too. There simply just are other models than total private ownership by plutocrats or plutocratic corporations.
I have similar feelings, although not specifically about Texas. I live in Western Colorado now and there are a lot of other folks who used to live in Michigan (like me) here. My theory on that is there is enough wilderness in Michigan to make you appreciate it, but it's often so inaccessible it leaves you frustrated and craving more. So we move West to the big open spaces. We have lots of private property here too but WAY more public land that we can all use for recreation or whatever. I would miss it so bad if I had to move away!
02-08-2018, 12:58 PM - 1 Like   #169
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
We have lots of private property here too but WAY more public land that we can all use for recreation or whatever.
This seems to be the situation here as well, at least locally. There's an overabundance of open space, parks, trails, etc. This was kind of a shock to me when I first moved here from SoCal! A lot of the restricted areas in my town are airport property.

Anyway, staying on topic:

Last edited by paulh; 02-08-2018 at 01:08 PM.
02-10-2018, 10:33 AM - 5 Likes   #170
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It got pretty cold around here in mid-January:

02-27-2018, 03:54 PM - 2 Likes   #171
Pentaxian

A couple from today,with DA16-85RW

02-27-2018, 04:01 PM   #172
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
A couple from today,with DA16-85RW

Looks like pretty nice weather to me!

02-27-2018, 04:52 PM   #173
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Looks like pretty nice weather to me!
Ha,for the UK that amount of snow is treated as a national emergency
We are expecting four days of sub zero (Celsius) temperatures and snow blown in from Russia which they are deeming,
“The Beast from the East” it’s kind of pathetic really
02-27-2018, 06:07 PM   #174
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We are expecting four days of sub zero (Celsius) temperatures and snow blown in from Russia which they are deeming,
Those darn Ruskies. Now they are even controlling the weather. I just hate that. ;000.

tt.
02-27-2018, 07:44 PM   #175
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We are expecting four days of sub zero (Celsius) temperatures and snow blown in from Russia which they are deeming, “The Beast from the East” it’s kind of pathetic really
On the other hand, the Arctic is melting which is kind of terrifying.
02-28-2018, 12:58 PM - 12 Likes   #176
Pentaxian

Think this qualifies as bad weather, the mist is actually snow being whipped up by the wind ('Beast from the East')

02-28-2018, 01:06 PM   #177
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by graeme83 Quote
Think this qualifies as bad weather, the mist is actually snow being whipped up by the wind ('Beast from the East')

Yes, very good! I mean bad.
02-28-2018, 08:07 PM   #178
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
So bad it's good!
03-03-2018, 01:58 AM - 2 Likes   #179

Another one from the UK's recent weather:

Pentax Q and 01 lens

Thanks for looking,

Ralph
03-03-2018, 08:24 AM - 2 Likes   #180
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico

The result of the Russian weather machine.