Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 138 Likes Search this Thread
04-27-2017, 07:25 PM   #31
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
left-field question:

anybody here with experience/own a Tokina AT-X 150-500mm f5.6 MF zoom?

04-28-2017, 04:39 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by willdmo Quote
What about coupling the Schneider-Kreuznach 25mm F0.95 with the Q-7? Might become a month of Bon-Q Bokeh
Sounds interesting!
04-28-2017, 12:02 PM - 1 Like   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hello !
Been a loooooong time without a SIC (December if I remember - still happy with the 55-300 PLM too).
Missed you all from the sidelines but we've been so busy.

QuoteOriginally posted by babywriter Quote
This is going to be my month for the Helios 44-2. I've been looking forward to this for a while.
Thought about this but going to save for later in the year.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I'll chip in with one of my 645 lenses, yet to be decided. I've Singled a lot of wide angles recently, and the FA75 is in for a "service". That leaves the DFA55/2.8, A120/4.0 macro and the DFA150/2.8

Any requests?
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I'd like to see macro on a 645z.

I've decided. Pentax SMC 50mm f2, 25mm extension tube and Raynox 150.
Couple of macros as a possibility here so I think I'm settled - going for versatility.

I have a Shiny (where worn), Brand New (to me) K85/1.8 just itching to be used so I'll be trying her out on her own and in combination with the Raynox and possibly the helicoid extension tube too.
Quite excited now
04-28-2017, 08:09 PM - 1 Like   #34

I'm jumping in with the 77. Leaving mid-May for a field school to Europe, so that should make things interesting.

04-29-2017, 05:51 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StudentBoots Quote
I'm jumping in with the 77. Leaving mid-May for a field school to Europe, so that should make things interesting.
Great lens for travel, IMO. Which countries? You can always post when you return.
04-29-2017, 06:38 AM - 1 Like   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Which countries? You can always post when you return.
We're going to Paris, Bruges, Rotterdam, Amsterdam, Hamburg, and Copenhagen, and won't be back home until mid-June. Other gear I'm taking is my brother's (dngr here on the forums) M28/2.8 and Voigtlander Bessa with the 43 Special.
I've been to Paris before, but was on my own and never really touched my Pentax stuff, should be good to return and go further with other people.
04-29-2017, 09:38 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StudentBoots Quote
Sounds like fun! I'm intrigued by the 77, and am looking forward to photos. It's on my long-term "acquire" list.

04-30-2017, 05:03 AM - 2 Likes   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm in. Since I went with the Zenitar fisheye for April, I want something different for May. You can say that ANY lens is different from a fisheye, and that is true. Several people mentioned 50mm lenses and I have an A 50 f/1.7 that has been pretty lonely, but I think I'll go with the DFA 100mm macro. After the ultra ultra wide of a fisheye I want to use something with a bit of reach.

NaCl(moderately long AND close, that should give me enough variety)H2O
04-30-2017, 05:27 AM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
I'm in. Since I went with the Zenitar fisheye for April, I want something different for May. You can say that ANY lens is different from a fisheye, and that is true. Several people mentioned 50mm lenses and I have an A 50 f/1.7 that has been pretty lonely, but I think I'll go with the DFA 100mm macro. After the ultra ultra wide of a fisheye I want to use something with a bit of reach.

Be prepared to use Quick Shift and manual focus a lot. This is a lens that for some reason causes the AF not to lock very well (even on a K-1!!), and its absurdly long travel at the short-range end of the scale means that hunting for focus is a prolonged and noisy experience. Any revised (e.g. HD) version badly needs a focus limiter.
04-30-2017, 06:55 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

While my experience wasn't as wide with the Zenitar (on the K3), I'm also looking to go telephoto. I'm planning on going for a 135mm lens next month.
04-30-2017, 01:39 PM - 2 Likes   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have not used my Sigma 170-500mm lens in the SI challenge, too heavy and cumbersome, but I'm giving it a go this month. An old lens which I use mostly for wildlife, and seeing I'm headed to Rietvlei Nature Reserve tomorrow (A public holiday here) and as it will be used extensively on the day, I may as well give it a go! I may just retract that decision halfway through, when my shoulders and bean bag can't cope anymore.
04-30-2017, 03:38 PM - 1 Like   #42
Pentaxian

I have at times been tempted to grab my also-ran 400mm f/6.3 preset and use that for a month, but I fear that would be foolishly rushing in where angels fear to tread, and it would demand a month of good weather and late sunsets because the MFD is approximately the width of my house (no macro shots with that one!). Also, either the lens is either effectively negatively coated (i.e. flarey as hell whatever the light) or it has a haze problem. I should post a couple of shots sometime and see what people think.
04-30-2017, 04:45 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Be prepared to use Quick Shift and manual focus a lot. This is a lens that for some reason causes the AF not to lock very well (even on a K-1!!), and its absurdly long travel at the short-range end of the scale means that hunting for focus is a prolonged and noisy experience. Any revised (e.g. HD) version badly needs a focus limiter.
I've shot with it a lot on the K-3 so I am familiar with that. Especially for macro work. But then again, I mostly shoot macros manually focused anyway. My K-3 had a split focus ring focus screen, it will be interesting to see how the K-1's focus tech compares.

NaCl(I even did a Single In month with it a while ago)H2O
04-30-2017, 05:37 PM   #44
Pentaxian

I've shot with it a lot on the K-3 so I am familiar with that. Especially for macro work. But then again, I mostly shoot macros manually focused anyway. My K-3 had a split focus ring focus screen, it will be interesting to see how the K-1's focus tech compares.

NaCl(I even did a Single In month with it a while ago)H2O
No problem. Having literally just finished a month with it myself, I felt it my duty to warn you.
04-30-2017, 05:43 PM - 1 Like   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am torn about May. I would love to do another month but I already know I will not make it everyday. I am interested in using lenses I do not use much to see why they are not being used. I recently picked up a Sigma 12-24 for the K-1. This was originally going to be my April lens but I decided to go with the fisheye. I also picked up a DA*55 1.4 which I seem to be struggling with. I do not think the autofocus is working properly but I waited past the 14 day KEH policy. One lens that does not get enough use is the DA*50-135 and I have never quite figured out why. Oh the decisions. Well tomorrow is the first so I better sleep on it.