Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2017, 04:41 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Single In May 2017

Welcome everyone to the Single In May 2017 Challenge!

Theme days:

Saturday 6th May: BACKLIT

Saturday 13th May: BLUR

Sunday 21st May: B/SELFIES

Saturday 27th May: MULTIPLE EXPOSURE

Aim of the Game:To use the same lens each day for a month, posting one picture captured each day with that lens. The picture must be captured with a Pentax lens coupled to a camera body of your choice (including Pentax/Ricoh), a non-Pentax lens provided it is coupled only to a Pentax or Ricoh body, or a Pentax-Ricoh point&shoot camera. (Taking other pictures with other cameras/lenses is fine, but these won’t be eligible for this Challenge).

Commenting: Posting your pictures allows other participants to comment on them. Conversely, it’s hoped that you will comment on those of other members. Please don’t be shy if you don’t have much photographic experience or are a Forum newbie - your personal reactions to photographs are as valid as anyone else’s. It’s a very friendly group and with regular commenting, you’ll soon be enjoying the camaraderie.

The rewards: It’s great fun. You’ll learn heaps about how your chosen lens can perform and you’ll see what other members achieve with their selected lenses - sometimes the same one you’ve chosen. In the comment banter you’ll pick up many tips on photographic technique generally, including post processing. As the month progresses it often becomes quite demanding (it’s a challenge, remember) but you’ll always be encouraged by other participants. Worried about LBA? - this game doesn’t help you fight it!

How to participate:

1. First you need to join the Group to be able to post pictures; you only have to do this once. The group’s name is “Monthly Photo Challenges”. You’ll find a clickable link on that forum page to join.

2. You’ll need to have your pictures stored in an on-line album. This could be the Pentax Forum, or others such as Flickr, Picassa etc. You actually post a link to the picture in your album into the daily picture thread.

** If you are linking to a Pentax Forum album, you’ll find advice on how to post elsewhere in the Forum and in the FAQs below. One of the Challenge’s stalwarts, patjp, has also prepared a short video on how to do this - it’s on YouTube (Singlein.m4v)

** If you are posting a link to Flickr, just click on the sharing icon below your selected picture and a window will open displaying the BB code. Copy it and paste into the Single in (month) Challenge thread in the Pentax Forum.

Each day, you’ll see a new thread of pictures grow and by clicking on each you should be redirected to the photographer’s parent album where you will be able to add a comment and read those of others. When you post each day’s picture to the Pentax Forum, please specify the camera/lens combination underneath your picture eg K5 & DA15 Ltd - this makes it easy for others to note what combo you’re using.

The thread you’re painstakingly reading now is the Discussion Thread for Game > Single in (month).

This is separate to the picture posting thread referred to above and you’ll probably want to subscribe to the Discussion one to keep up with activities and develop a rapport with Challenge members. It’s the place where you can ask questions, offer advice, share concerns, suggest improvements, and often just participate in general banter related to this month’s challenge.

So there it is. It is easier than it might seem at first. If you miss a day, don’t worry. If you have any problems, please ask. We’re a very friendly, forgiving, international bunch. Come and try!

FAQs: Finally, Zorglub has kindly posted a FAQ collection here …. The FAQ - Monthly Photo Challenges - PentaxForums.com

Video below was created by patjp

Last edited by babywriter; 04-25-2017 at 04:52 AM.
04-25-2017, 05:05 AM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I gotta get serious on which lens for May...
04-25-2017, 05:27 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Dfa 100 wr
04-25-2017, 06:06 AM   #4
Pentaxian

If things really brighten up in the next week or so, I might yet get the Lomo Daguerre 64/2.9 out and take it a-wandering on the K-1. Until then, there's a film-era Tokina zoom I bought to take the place of my dropped Sigma 70-210, which might benefit from a month of getting used to, and there's a collection of K and M42 135mm primes that hasn't had a run on full-frame yet. I had considered the 135/3.5 SMC Tak, but that's going off to Eric for maintenance and repair as soon as I can scrape together enough bubble wrap to keep it and its travelling companions safe.

04-25-2017, 06:09 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Still not sure which lens. SMC 50 f2 with deglassed TC and Raynox (though I really should have the Raynox 250) or the new to me Pentax SMC 100-300mm f4.5-5.6, with glassed TC (with this one, I'd need either the tripod or monopod) and I'm not sure I feel up to carrying this heavy gear with me for 31 days.
04-25-2017, 09:32 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a low quality 135mm m42 lens my dad gave me I might try to single for May...
04-25-2017, 01:17 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
This is going to be my month for the Helios 44-2. I've been looking forward to this for a while.

04-25-2017, 01:44 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

MAy is the 5th month, so I will use a 50mm f1.4, mostly so I can bust out my Cokin filters and get creative.
04-25-2017, 04:18 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I'm torn. Started doing this Jan 1 and haven't missed a day yet, but I know I'll be overseas for most of the last half of the month and don't want to feel responsible to use any particular piece of equipment (or to be actively posting, for that matter) during the trip. So I might skip May; on the other hand will anyone object if I plan ahead of time to miss a couple of weeks? I reckon it's somewhat against the spirit of the thing.
04-25-2017, 05:24 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think I'm out for May. Tempted since I have a new lens arriving this week, the Laowa 12mm, but intimidated by the thought of having to produce every day with it, so thinking probably hold off until June. It gets here on Thursday so maybe my mind will change by Monday...
04-25-2017, 05:25 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I gotta get serious on which lens for May...
I have no idea myself.. I feel like all my other lenses are pretty boring now after my interesting April choice

I'd have a Tamron Twin Tele 135/4.5 which is quite interesting (and, I believe, the first lens under the "Tamron" brand name?) but I don't really want to take such a long lens again.
I can't decide if I can't decide because I've got too many or because I've got too little!
04-25-2017, 06:08 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I'm in, with Q-s1 and an auto 110 lens. Probably the 28mm/2.8. I don't have the lensbaby aperture discs, so I'm just going to have to shoot wide open all month.
04-25-2017, 06:25 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll chip in with one of my 645 lenses, yet to be decided. I've Singled a lot of wide angles recently, and the FA75 is in for a "service". That leaves the DFA55/2.8, A120/4.0 macro and the DFA150/2.8

Any requests?
04-25-2017, 07:49 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I'll chip in with one of my 645 lenses, yet to be decided. I've Singled a lot of wide angles recently, and the FA75 is in for a "service". That leaves the DFA55/2.8, A120/4.0 macro and the DFA150/2.8

Any requests?
i'd love to see the macro work
04-26-2017, 02:11 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A macro lens on a medium format camera, with the chance of mid-tele or portraits, the 120 catches my interests.