Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2019, 08:29 AM   #121
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I saw one once in BC, in a very similar situation.

04-21-2019, 09:14 AM   #122
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I saw one once in BC, in a very similar situation.
Not quite as hard to get as a Sasquatch, but close!
04-21-2019, 11:23 AM   #123
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
Not quite as hard to get as a Sasquatch, but close!
I was just lucky. I thought it was some one's lost cat when it peaked up over the rocks. I went up the rocks for the rescue and came to a dead stop when it came into view and realized what it was. I was 20 feet from it, but it paid no attention to me at all. It just sauntered on down the path it was following.
04-21-2019, 02:20 PM   #124
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jacamar Quote
You're fortunate that non of the weasel family members were introduced into Australasia.
We've got more than enough feral pests in Australia without them. In New Zealand, stoats, weasels and ferrets were introduced in the 19th century as somebody's bright idea of a solution to the rabbit problem. They are now a huge threat to native birds: Animal pests A - Z: Threats and impacts

Interesting about the wolverine.

05-13-2019, 09:13 AM - 4 Likes   #125
Pentaxian

Some more weasel shots... the Pine Martins seem to be changing the colour of their faces as the year goes on.

Last edited by normhead; 05-13-2019 at 05:57 PM.
05-21-2019, 08:01 PM - 3 Likes   #126
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Western Plains Zoo, NSW, Australia.

King of the Beasts
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr

---------- Post added 22-05-19 at 01:10 PM ----------

Echidna looking for ants
06-11-2019, 12:21 PM - 4 Likes   #127
Pentaxian

Today at the feeder, we are used to squirrels. We've never had these guys last more than a few weeks.
I'm pretty sure the wolves or fishers get them.

K-3 and Tamron 300 2.8 with HD DA 1.4 TC.

08-13-2019, 11:48 AM - 1 Like   #128
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Saw this individual resting in a Central Park tree under my bench...

08-14-2019, 09:21 PM - 2 Likes   #129
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Potorous tridactylus, the long nosed Potoroo.

A Very Busy Potoroo
10-11-2019, 04:54 PM   #130
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Common Wombat, Moondarra State Park Victoria. It's often a bad sign when they are out in the daytime. This one was suffering from mange - see the bare patch on its right side from scratching, and the cloud of insects. K-3 + FA*300 f4.5.
10-14-2019, 02:55 PM - 1 Like   #131
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Afternoon at the beach

---------- Post added 15-10-19 at 08:57 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Common Wombat, Moondarra State Park Victoria. It's often a bad sign when they are out in the daytime. This one was suffering from mange - see the bare patch on its right side from scratching, and the cloud of insects. K-3 + FA*300 f4.5.
Great photo! Sad to see so many wombats suffering though. There's work being done to try to treat them in the wild.
10-14-2019, 04:59 PM   #132
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Great photo! Sad to see so many wombats suffering though. There's work being done to try to treat them in the wild.
Thanks Rob.Yes the treatment for mange is quite simple - cydectin pour-on drench. I know some landholders, in conjunction with wildlife carers, are putting brush-on drench points where the wombats go under fences. That sounds like a neat solution. Unfortunately a lot of farmers are more inclined to shoot wombats than to treat them.

Love your roo shot. Here's another macropod. Swamp wallaby, K-3 + DA 55-300 PLM
10-14-2019, 05:35 PM - 1 Like   #133
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Thanks Rob.Yes the treatment for mange is quite simple - cydectin pour-on drench. I know some landholders, in conjunction with wildlife carers, are putting brush-on drench points where the wombats go under fences. That sounds like a neat solution. Unfortunately a lot of farmers are more inclined to shoot wombats than to treat them.
In the ACT, volunteers are setting up arrangements where the treatment is applied when the wombats go in and out of their burrows. You're probably right about farmers - although it could be seen as humane, it will lead to local extinctions.

QuoteQuote:
Love your roo shot. Here's another macropod. Swamp wallaby, K-3 + DA 55-300 PLM
Nice shot! We have so many wallaby species, but it's weird that there's only one member of Wallabia, being Wallabia bicolor, the Swamp Wallaby. In the ACT we have both Swamp Wallabies and Red-necked Wallabies. Theoretically there should be Rock Wallabies, but as far as I know, they're locally extinct in the wild. In eastern Australia, I've only seen Rock Wallabies at Jenolan Caves.
10-15-2019, 02:44 PM - 1 Like   #134
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Theoretically there should be Rock Wallabies, but as far as I know, they're locally extinct in the wild. In eastern Australia, I've only seen Rock Wallabies at Jenolan Caves.
I sort of got a glimpse of a Rock Wallaby in the Snowy River NP once. Tragically the tiny local colony there was thought to have been wiped out by the 2006 fires. There are efforts being made to reintroduce them. It's great that they have made a comeback at Jenolan Caves.

Some far more common marsupials. Common Brushtail Possums.

KP + DFA 100 macro WR. The youngsters (joeys) ride on their mother's back for about 6 months after emerging from the pouch.

KP + 55-300 PLM at 88mm.
10-15-2019, 09:32 PM - 1 Like   #135
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Some far more common marsupials. Common Brushtail Possums.
Nice shots of Brushtails! It's a while since I last saw one, although I hear them having arguments now and then.