Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2017, 08:43 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Post Processing Challenge #222 - Snoqualmie Falls

Thanks JHfwp for picking my entry in the last round. Had fun with that one.

For #222 I give you a local favorite - Snoqualmie Falls & the Salish Lodge. Of course, all you Twin Peaks fans know it better as the "Great Northern Hotel."

If you've ever shot around a raging waterfall you know there's going to be a few downfalls - lots of wind blowing up the gorge, and tons of mist schmutzing up your lens (hooray for our weather-proofing!) Even on a bad day there are many tourists crowding the kinda-small vantage points. If you wonder why all the pics of this place look the same - well - your options are sorta limited. Still a nice sight to behold, and a wonderful little hike down to the bottom.

Have fun with this one, make it pretty! I'll close this on June 1 midnight Seattle time to give you a full week.

PP Challenge 222.DNG

PP Challenge 222.JPG

Information for the next host:

The mediafire website is: mediafire.com
The login name is: pentaxchallenge@outlook.com
The password is: postprocessing
Note to host: Copy and paste the above MediaFire information into your challenge to help the next winner

Last edited by astonm; 04-15-2018 at 05:21 PM.
05-25-2017, 04:04 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Here's my relatively tame stab at it. Brought down the highlights, warmed it up a bit, cleaned up some of the distractions etc.

I'm an erstwhile Seattle-ite currently living overseas so I locked onto your post. I do miss the Seattle area at times...

Last edited by nosliwmit; 03-02-2018 at 10:56 PM.
05-25-2017, 08:32 AM - 3 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Guess who's back.

Tim
05-25-2017, 11:32 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

Found this in an old scrapbook down in the cellar...

Last edited by JHfwp; 06-20-2017 at 10:45 PM.
05-25-2017, 11:50 AM   #5
MSL
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
Guess who's back.
Hilarious! Made my day.
05-25-2017, 02:44 PM - 5 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
Guess who's back.
it's about time! long hibernation!

got impatient trying to fix the sky/line so this
05-25-2017, 04:30 PM - 3 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Last edited by Glenn5995; 05-26-2017 at 11:05 AM.
05-26-2017, 04:26 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Vintage.
05-26-2017, 06:08 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

Jump in! The water is fine.

05-28-2017, 12:09 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Maybe just a leetle touch of cloning in there somewhere. . .

05-30-2017, 08:24 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OK, adding some saturation in there to help pump up the color. Lightness and contrast changes too. A little cloaning to clean things up and add some interest in the sky.
06-02-2017, 08:52 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It's Friday .. Time to make some decisions! Grabbing some coffee and staring at pics for a while.... who will it be ?
06-03-2017, 10:25 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Apologies for the delay. Let's get to it ...

nosliwmit: welcome back to the Seattle area - even if only vicariously! the PNW really does sink in deep, eh? Nice overall version of the falls. Silly detail, but I appreciate the way you dealt with the "sticks" in the foreground, didn't just chop that one off at the ledge. (a little more natural, and not so lawn-care-crew-manicured.)

dcshooter: COFFEE & PIE! Thanks for taking the bait - it looks like it really could have happened!. Actually - I like the tones you were getting in the rest of the photo, and was really hoping to see another version with the rest of the scene of "Where pies go to die."

atupdate: and there HE is. I've missed our dear friend Godzilla!! I keep secretly wishing we'd see him again, honored he'd show up here.

JHfwp: Snow - Nice. Makes me wish I'd gotten up there when it really was snowing - it's specatular!

todd: I feel your pain on the skyline. I actually tried to bracket this, but with all the wind / water movement, and me without my tripod it just wasn't working. I checked out the link to your lesser-cropped version, and it's beautiful also. (far less halo-ing than a lot of pro shots I've seen!) Very nice b&w.

Glenn5995: Very nice job of bringing out the wet-rocks on both versions. To the naked eye it's what you see when you are there. Excellent job of getting that "on fire" sky dropped in there too. That treeline can make that task a pain!

D1N0: Nice job of going vintage - the original lodge was built in the early 1900's and your photo looks like it came right out of the archives. The one tiny thing struck me on this one though is the choice of "dirt & scratches" overlay.... I'm a cat-person, and know all too well the trials of cat hair getting into everything. I kinda wanted to brush off the photo. LOL - it's all good, because that REALLY makes it "authentic" in my house! It really is a nice version, and I do like it a lot.

AzDave: Another beautiful B&W. No question at all that you really made it all about the water. Low-key with the "water" pop really brings that home. There's a good lesson in this one - first thing to ask when you are making pictures: "What is this a picture of?" As short of an answer as possible & go from there. Sometimes the rest is "just framing' (is it falls with rocks, or rocks with falls???)

jcomely: Nice job of bringing out the details. Again - those wet rocks ! And it may seem cartoonish, but the water at the bottom is naturally so very blue/green like you've got there.

Dartmoor Dave: another very nice example of a very "natural" processing. You did a great job of dealing with the foreground ledge for sure!

BigDave: Lots of color ! Nice. Sometimes with the persistent clouds around here, we need a little extra color boost. One thing that seems to work - I noticed when I was playing with this picture is that when bumping the saturation, that background hill to the right of the lodge became way too blue and out of place. The blue-tones in your sky made it blend in quite a bit better - it wasn't so all alone.

Soo..... yet another tough decision, and I'm going to do something a bit unconventional here. The one I like the best wasn't *exactly * an official entry here, BUT you referenced it and let it loose in the world.... It's TODD and his beautiful linked B&W picture. You really nailed the "falls with rocks" concept - skyline be damned ! (I re-posted in case anyone missed that link)

Honorable mentions with the prize of "virtual pie & coffee" go to both dcshoooter & atupdate... BECAUSE !

Last edited by astonm; 04-15-2018 at 05:21 PM.
06-03-2017, 05:08 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations todd! Looking forward to what you for us in the next challenge. Thank you astonm for hosting this challenge. Well done everyone. See you all in 223!
06-03-2017, 08:23 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Both of Todd's black and whites were killer. Well done, Todd. Thanks for hosting, astonm.