Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 88 Likes Search this Thread
05-28-2017, 06:36 PM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Still trying to decide what to use for my single lens for June. I'll be in Dallas, TX May 30-June 3, but I'm taking multiple camera bodies so that's not a huge problem - I can leave the single lens on one body and swap out lenses on the other.

Normally I alternate primes and zooms, so this would be a "zoom" month. I do have a Tamron 18-200 that I've not used much (traded for it a couple of months ago) - maybe that's a good choice? The IQ on it is solid, but not outstanding - but it does handle well.

I also got lucky on Craigslist last month; someone was giving away a Pentax-F 70-210 and F 35-135, and they're in pretty good condition. Maybe the 35-135? It does have macro, although it's awkward to invoke.

Oh, and if I want to stay with primes, there's the basically brand new Montgomery Ward 28mm/f2.8, M42 mount, that I was looking at way back in April. IQ seems just average, based on the limited testing I've done with it, but that could be a challenge in and of itself.

Thoughts appreciated.

Last edited by babywriter; 05-28-2017 at 06:50 PM.
05-29-2017, 03:54 AM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by babywriter Quote
Maybe the 35-135? It does have macro, although it's awkward to invoke.
The more things I can do with a lens, the more likely I am to select it for Single In. These days I have easily applicable front filters for close focus, rear extension tubes for magnification (they are not always the same thing) and so on, so it hardly matters what I pick any more, but if you don't want to cart that all around with you (or a snapshot presents itself and you don't have time to take it off), a lens that will do more by itself can sometimes be more desirable than an optically better lens that is less flexible in the field.

I have a great hulking beast of a thing that has not been singled-in with yet - it's a 70-220mm M42 zoom with a macro function, but the macro function is invoked through a separate collar that turns a separate helicoid built into the lens. In effect I have a helicoid extension tube with infinity focus built into the lens, so macro (or rather, close focus; not always the same thing, but still very handy) is available at any focal length, not just one of the extremes. It's the only lens of its kind I've seen or even heard of, and I can't understand why more manual-focus lens designs didn't do this.

The two things which stop me from Singling with it are size and weight - it feels as big and heavy as the D-FA*70-200 did when I tried it once - but maybe the time has come to drag it into the light and give it a shot.
05-29-2017, 03:59 AM   #33
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by babywriter Quote

I also got lucky on Craigslist last month; someone was giving away a Pentax-F 70-210 and F 35-135, and they're in pretty good condition. Maybe the 35-135? It does have macro, although it's awkward to invoke.

it couldn't be any more cumbersome than the 'macro' function on the A 35-105mm....
05-29-2017, 10:33 AM - 2 Likes   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I have a great hulking beast of a thing that has not been singled-in with yet - it's a 70-220mm M42 zoom with a macro function, but the macro function is invoked through a separate collar that turns a separate helicoid built into the lens. In effect I have a helicoid extension tube with infinity focus built into the lens, so macro (or rather, close focus; not always the same thing, but still very handy) is available at any focal length, not just one of the extremes.
This sounds FASCINATING. Looking forward to what you can get out of this, if you choose to single it.

---------- Post added 05-29-17 at 10:35 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
it couldn't be any more cumbersome than the 'macro' function on the A 35-105mm....
Well, that's true. The TSOP macro is quirky - kind of a half-hitch feel? I'd almost forgotten about that. Never did get used to it.

Ok, I'm in with the Pentax-F 35-135.

05-29-2017, 08:36 PM - 1 Like   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm in. I originally thought to go with the DA 55*. But this talk of the A 35-105 has me thinking that way too. But I think I'll stay with my original thought. I've shot a fair amount with the latter lens in FF, and have yet to explore what 55mm means on FF. Maybe July for the A 35-105.

NaCl(besides the * lenses are so easy to use, and their bokeh is very very nice)H2O
05-30-2017, 05:08 PM - 2 Likes   #36
Pentaxian

I am wavering.

On the one hand there is the awesome(ly huge and heavy) M42 Bushnell 70-220 f/3.5 with inbuilt macro/close focus helicoid fit for any focal length. Upside - it is infinitely flexible. Downsides - it IS huge and heavy and is nobody's walkaround lens, plus if I take multiple shots I can't always remember later which aperture I used for the one that worked best (which is not always the last one I take), and I would always need an M42 adapter with me (or on it).

On the other hand, there is the SMC DA 40mm f/2.8 Limited, the first prime lens I ever bought new. Tiny, compact and excellent, and now that I have a deglassed teleconverter with A contacts to put behind it and some screw-on dioptres to put in front of it, it's ready to play my favourite game of How Macro Can You Go? It seems more than acceptable in full-frame mode on the K-1, and if I start to have any doubts then crop mode is just two twists of a knob away. Upsides - compact in its pure form. Downsides, that funky lenscap and hood needing to come off for filter work. Interesting side - Single in June last year was shot with its SMC-M predecessor, so it would make for an interesting symmetry.

On the third hand, I have two lenses coming back from Eric which may or may not arrive in time, one of which I singled with on APS-C last year (and which worked such magic as to get me back in the game when I thought I was done) and which I seriously want to give a run on full-frame (55/2.0 Super Tak), and the other of which will be sitting this month out because it's the S-M-C Takumar 135/3.5, and probably not different enough from this month's lens to keep me excited for all of June.

There is a saying with various permutations which is variously ascribed to any number of great generals, that if you present an enemy with three options he will likely take the fourth. Who knows what's going to happen between now and midnight on June the 1st? Watch this space!
05-30-2017, 08:36 PM   #37
Veteran Member

So many choices pathdoc! The mind absolutely boggles at the thought. You could do all of them and just do the daily in challenge instead?

The thought of carrying a huge contraption around daily does not inspire me with confidence. But ymmv!

05-30-2017, 09:38 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I am wavering.

On the one hand there is the awesome(ly huge and heavy) M42 Bushnell 70-220 f/3.5 with inbuilt macro/close focus helicoid fit for any focal length. Upside - it is infinitely flexible. Downsides - it IS huge and heavy and is nobody's walkaround lens, plus if I take multiple shots I can't always remember later which aperture I used for the one that worked best (which is not always the last one I take), and I would always need an M42 adapter with me (or on it).

On the other hand, there is the SMC DA 40mm f/2.8 Limited, the first prime lens I ever bought new. Tiny, compact and excellent, and now that I have a deglassed teleconverter with A contacts to put behind it and some screw-on dioptres to put in front of it, it's ready to play my favourite game of How Macro Can You Go? It seems more than acceptable in full-frame mode on the K-1, and if I start to have any doubts then crop mode is just two twists of a knob away. Upsides - compact in its pure form. Downsides, that funky lenscap and hood needing to come off for filter work. Interesting side - Single in June last year was shot with its SMC-M predecessor, so it would make for an interesting symmetry.

On the third hand, I have two lenses coming back from Eric which may or may not arrive in time, one of which I singled with on APS-C last year (and which worked such magic as to get me back in the game when I thought I was done) and which I seriously want to give a run on full-frame (55/2.0 Super Tak), and the other of which will be sitting this month out because it's the S-M-C Takumar 135/3.5, and probably not different enough from this month's lens to keep me excited for all of June.

There is a saying with various permutations which is variously ascribed to any number of great generals, that if you present an enemy with three options he will likely take the fourth. Who knows what's going to happen between now and midnight on June the 1st? Watch this space!
Now, that's what I call an embarrasment of riches, lens-wise. I don't see how you can go wrong, no matter which direction you choose.
05-31-2017, 11:37 AM   #39
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

waffling - we are waffling here...

I've been shooting secondarily with the DA L 55-300 (took it for a zoo trip and it was quite nice) but it has an MFD of 55 inches..... yes, that is very nearly 5'!

horrifically awkward....

other options would be:

SMC A 50mm f1.4
Tamron Adaptall-2 44A (28-70mm MF zoom)
SMC A 70-210mm f4

or I could re-visit something from prior SIC's from when I began my journey with the SIC....
05-31-2017, 02:58 PM - 1 Like   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It appears that I never used the 40mm XS for SIC since I joined the Flickr SIC group, so that's my choice.
05-31-2017, 04:39 PM - 1 Like   #41

Photos: Albums
It's been great fun, and very instructive, finding out what the Helios 44M-4 is capable of. So for June I'm going to see what the K-S1 kit lens, the 18-55 DAL can do.
05-31-2017, 06:06 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Hope you all enjoy your choices, but I'm leaning toward taking June off. After so much photography on my travels I'm actually ready for a little rest from the hobby. The urge will return, I'm sure!
06-01-2017, 12:06 AM - 1 Like   #43
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi all. I have decided to pull out.
Back to your regular programming.

Enjoy the month
06-01-2017, 07:55 AM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Catching up on the thread and seeing lots of lenses that I really need to try.

Compactness is everything, Sandy - take the KP and the smallest lens set you can get away with. Leave the D-FA mega-zooms at home. Oh, and take a polarising filter, because some of the stuff you'll want to shoot may be behind glass.
I would not have thought of this.

I am also thinking through my kit for late June and the first half of July in Spain. For the Single In I may start with a Sears Auto 135 2.8. But not sure yet - and today is the day to decide.

---------- Post added 06-01-17 at 08:06 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
SMC A 50mm f1.4
Tamron Adaptall-2 44A (28-70mm MF zoom)
SMC A 70-210mm f4
You can't go wrong with the A 50 1.4 but the challenge of the others may make it a great learning experience. I love finding the sweet spot - when I do find the sweet spot - of the lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
The thought of carrying a huge contraption around daily does not inspire me with confidence. But ymmv!
Just throw it in the diaper bag, you'll just think it is a few extra diapers. Also, I don't make it to this thread to comment on your pictures, so wanted you to know the recent baby picture was precious, well captured.

Indecision, indecision... I am right there with you.
06-01-2017, 08:26 AM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jim P Quote
Indecision, indecision... I am right there with you.
It just gets worse, because the DA40 with my Vivitar closeup filters in front of it is everything I want in a single-in lens - light, compact, convenient, throw it on any camera, retain all EXIF data, continue to use onboard flash (for those bodies that have it) - but at the same time get in as close as I could reasonably desire, and neither the closeup filters nor the adapter ring take up much pocket-space or weight, nor take that long to fit. And hand-holding the camera in relatively dim light is not an issue.

The Bushnell is huge and heavy and robs me of almost all automation (not all, in that can and does work in Av mode), but requires no extra gear to actually carry with me in order to achieve focus as close as I could ever desire. That being said, I know it is the sort of lens which really would do its best work on a tripod. Busy as I am, and having to fit my photography in between other activities, I very infrequently desire to take one into the field with me. Also, I can't walk into the local cafe with a 1.5kg 70-220/3.5 hanging off the front end of a K-1 the way I can with a DA40 on an *istDS, for example. Hand holding in dim light would be a major issue, and sometimes I think that the reciprocal-of-focal-length rule needs an extra shutter speed or two added in as the weight starts to mount.

On the other hand, if I use the Bushnell regularly, a D-FA*70-200 is probably going to seem easy to handle by comparison. So there is that.