Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 88 Likes Search this Thread
06-23-2017, 03:54 AM   #121
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
keep up the good work @Photolady95

Real life has crushed the life out of my recreational time... so although I'm popping in for a quick look non and again my abysmal posting is evidence enough that this month is over (I never do well with telephoto months go figure).

06-23-2017, 04:33 PM   #122
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Thanks Matt.

I got nothing for today. I spent the morning trying to figure out why I had no sound on my big screen TV. Come to find out, the speakers are dead or sound it completely dead. So had to hunt around for new TV and wait to see if the place I called had one in stock. They didn't but their delivery truck brought one in this afternoon. Got brother to drive me to Daytona to pick it up. I got a new Smart TV, Philips brand and at 43" it should last me a while.
06-23-2017, 05:14 PM - 2 Likes   #123
Pentaxian

Seeing as real life has crushed me to the point where I'm pretty much out of single-in for the month and arguably forever, I'll write my report on the DA 40mm f/2.8 Limited now.

In short - a joy to use. Quite a significant proportion of shots were taken on the K-1, and if there was any urge to crop it was purely for the sake of composition and not to hide any embarrassing corner issues. The focal length comes up rather nicely from the perspective viewpoint, and I can understand why the only slightly narrower 43mm was chosen for the "normal" FA Limited. A lot of the time, the lens did not wear its strange funky hood, but this was mostly so that I could quickly put a dioptre filter on it.

It does make the camera look rather strange - even more than on the APS-C bodies I have owned, this is almost a lenscap. On full automatic, it turns the K-1 into the biggest point-and-click camera I have ever owned.

At the end of the day, though, this is still a DA lens, which means that on full frame all the inbuilt corrections the camera can apply are consequently disabled. If you are the sort of person who routinely likes to apply those corrections in camera, and you like to use your K-1 set to full frame by default, buying the DA40/2.8 Limited specifically to use on the K-1 is not for you. (You can of course set to crop or auto, but then you are shooting with an APS-C 60mm FOV and you might as well be shooting with a K-5iis, albeit one with better shake reduction and many more AF points. Which does count for something, I suppose...).

All this being said, there are IMO precious few (if any) corrections that are actually needed. The lens performs wonderfully well at full frame, despite not being designed for it (though with the SMC-M 40/2.8's optical formula supposedly embedded in its DNA you could argue that it fortuitously WAS designed for it), and if perchance you are selling off your APS-C bodies to afford the K-1 and getting rid of your crop-only lenses as well, this is one worth holding onto if you can.
06-24-2017, 02:57 PM - 1 Like   #124
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

'dragonfly' from 6/22 hit 'explore' last night:

06-25-2017, 07:07 AM   #125
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
Awesome!
06-25-2017, 07:22 AM   #126
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Congratulations Pepper!

Nice shot, too.

I haven't seen any dragons here this year. Not enough rain and too hot weather might have something to do with that, me thinks.
06-25-2017, 07:51 AM   #127
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

While gardening, I saw a really nice dragon fly, but it was gone before I could retrieve my camera.

06-25-2017, 08:45 AM - 1 Like   #128
Veteran Member

I think if I go for another SIC soon, I'll definitely be using something faster. Being limited at f/5.6 becomes a buzzkill after a while. Maybe the time has come for me to finally adapt the LOMO 35KP 1.8/120 for Pentax and give it a kick or two in July.
06-25-2017, 09:05 AM   #129
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by babywriter Quote
Awesome!

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Congratulations Pepper!

Nice shot, too.

I haven't seen any dragons here this year. Not enough rain and too hot weather might have something to do with that, me thinks.

thank you both - they have two favorite perches here: on the clotheslines and on the trellises in the garden.... soon, I'll be getting shots from both....
06-25-2017, 03:21 PM - 1 Like   #130
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

that's gorgeous! congratulations!

limping towards the finish line here. sleep deprivation at the moment has resulted in me struggling to maintain conversations. lol.

on the flip side, i'm also working on building up my photography business - preschool photos are just around the corner. i've joined a few facebook groups to help inspire me to greater heights and the universe seems to be telling me something, and helping create opportunities for me to feel more confident about starting up. so that's buoying me above the sleep fatigue for now.

still trying to keep my fingers on the line though and do SIC. don't really want to drop off. it's been good trying to document sisterpup's first year.

having said that, I'm actually struggling a little with the industar69 28/2.8. I picked up a 50/1.8 cosina lens last month, and put it on my k-50, and the image results are a bit like chalk and cheese compared to my q-s1 pairing.
06-27-2017, 06:40 PM   #131
Veteran Member

Cool & well deserved! Haven't seen too many dragon flies this year either, but that's because I've been inside too much. Like tonight worked late have some shots but I'm calling it a day will catch up tomorrow.
06-28-2017, 03:04 AM   #132
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wstruth Quote
Cool & well deserved! Haven't seen too many dragon flies this year either, but that's because I've been inside too much. Like tonight worked late have some shots but I'm calling it a day will catch up tomorrow.
thank you...

I'm in the same boat for yesterday's - I have them still on the camera, just had not had time to pull/process/post yet..... I should be able to catch up tonight, however...
06-28-2017, 04:06 AM   #133
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Way to go Mar. Get out of the physical habit, then wean the nicotine. Only good can come of it.
06-30-2017, 12:39 PM - 1 Like   #134
Veteran Member

To begin with, this needs to be said. Good shooting everyone! I've seen some very nice images during these last weeks.

The month is coming to an end and here is my opinion on the lens I've been using this month.
Like all the enlarger lenses from the Schneider Kreuznach Componon lineup, 5.6/100 Componon-S shows no aberrations whatsoever, is flare resistant, and has a great sharpness across the frame at f/5.6, and excellent from f/8. It's a slow lens, topping out at f/5.6 which makes the subject isolation difficult at medium distances but for macro applications it is sufficiently fast. Anyhow, I love this little gem and it's likely that I will hold on to it forever.

I'm not disappointed but it's a fact. This was my first SIC month without explored images.
I hope that we'll hang out a bit more in July.

Regards,

Marko
06-30-2017, 01:10 PM - 2 Likes   #135
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Way to go Mar. Get out of the physical habit, then wean the nicotine. Only good can come of it.
Thanks Sandy. Been 11 days and I don't miss them one bit. Had doctor appointment today, told him I quit and he said my lungs sounded a lot better. I feel better for having gotten rid of those things too.