Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2017, 04:46 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PP Challenge #224

G'Day Everyone,

Thank you to Todd for hosting the last round and providing an excellent image to work with.

For this round I have given you plenty to work with as the image is based on a 5 shot bracket. This will enable HDR, masking a couple of images or working on a single image. This is what the scene looks like based on the -1 Ev exposure:

This was the centre of the 5 shots. The shots range from -3 to +1 in 1/3 EV intervals. Each file is identified by EV value.

The images were captured on the K-1 using the Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 21/2.8 ZK, so if you've ever wondered how Zeiss renders on the K-1 now's your chance. I have provided all 5 exposures in both DNG RAW and JPEG. The files are split into folders as follows:

DNG RAW My Files

JPEG My Files

I will leave the challenge open for 1 week, so that will be 10am Monday 19 June Australian EST.

Well good luck everyone, I think there's plenty to fix and work with in the image options so don't hold back I hope to see lots of different interpretations on this scene.

Or as Tom Cruise would say: "Show me the money!"

Tas

Information for the next host:

The mediafire website is: mediafire.com
The login name is: pentaxchallenge@outlook.com
The password is: postprocessing
Note to host: Copy and paste the above MediaFire information into your challenge to help the next winner

06-12-2017, 08:13 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Site Supporter

Last edited by Glenn5995; 06-17-2017 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Additional entry
06-12-2017, 09:46 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I was fascinated by the boat over on the right, so I focused on that using the -3ev shot.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
06-12-2017, 12:40 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
just trying to see how hard I could push.. used all five files and plenty of haloing came in during photomatix blending but rolled with it anyway...

06-12-2017, 12:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Well dang it, I guess it was possible to correct for the distortion.

Last edited by JHfwp; 06-30-2017 at 07:55 PM.
06-12-2017, 09:15 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Here is my take on those image... I just wanted to see how is the rendering of that Zeiss lens on K-1 but decided to post here (please do not consider those for competition)

06-16-2017, 09:23 PM - 4 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

Brisbane at Nightfall

All 5 Exposures - Photomatix Pro + Lightroom 5

All 5 Exposures - Photomatix Pro + Lightroom 5 + Nik Silver Efex

+ PicMonkey

Last edited by Arizona Dave; 06-17-2017 at 11:27 AM.
06-18-2017, 01:27 AM   #8
Tas
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Last day for PP Challenge #224

G'day,

We're getting close to closing this challenge so anyone else interested in having a go please jump in soon. I will be busy during the projected 10:00am (local) close time so there's a bit of wriggle room for anyone struggling to meet that time. I will be back with a wrap up around 6:00 pm tomorrow so one day to go for anyone wanting to have a go at #224.

Lots of brilliant work done already andchoosing our next host will be the challenge for me; I look forward to it.

See you in a wee bit.

Tas

06-18-2017, 09:55 PM   #9
Site Supporter

ugh sky banding. only showing up in jpg conversion (no matter what method). well.... here it is, I tried ! If I wasn't out of patience, and my hard drive wasn't trying to take a dump..... but here it is anyway. Lovely shot, BTW !!!
Attached Images

06-19-2017, 02:33 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Tas
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Closing PP Challenge #224

Gíday again everyone, itís time to close this challenge, do a wrap up and announce the person to host PP Challenge #225.

As always with the PP challenge itís great to see one of your own photos interpreted by others. The choices made show how diverse the participants are with processing the same scene and a part of why I keep coming back. That and Iím annoying, but there you go.
Letís start with some feedback:

Glenn5995
The three images posted corrected the sloping buildings yet varied significantly in their look with a warm sunset providing a summer-like feel in the first image. The second version could have been shot in the 19th century if it wasnít for the contemporary architecture with plenty of detail popping in the centre of frame. The final B&W version in portrait orientation makes good use of the clouds and light reflecting on the building to the right, this is my favourite of the three versions here. Lovely stuff mate.

Dartmoor Dave
I didnít expect this point of view yet thereís the ferry driver sitting in his seat waiting to head out again. I didnít even give him a thought to be honest yet the detail you were able to draw from the -3Ev image is remarkable and very clean. A unique perspective well selected and executed.

todd
A boldly coloured version by Todd makes good use of complimentary reds and blues. I didnít realise there was so much colour in the sunset, itís become a great feature in this version and contrasts nicely against the cool blue of some of the buildings.

JHfwp
Distortion correction is a choice if you prefer the wider look then losing the sides may not work for you. The lighter seen youíve created here highlights the warm artificial lights on the opposite shoreline nicely and emphasises the ferry terminal in the bottom third. If I was feeling punny Iíd say it anchors the scene nicely.

RAART
Mate, ta for adding your work even if you donít want to be a part of the competition. The two versions you posted contrast quite noticeably and I like a square crop.

jcomley
The HDR look provides a distinctive feel to the scene whilst allowing lots of detail to be drawn from the shadows.

Arizona Dave
Three varied and exciting versions presented here, the first quite natural with a good range of colours drawn out of the sky. A HDR-like B&W image retains the Ďshiny cityí look but bringing out lots of detail and contrast. My favourite of the three is the last one combining the excellent contrasting artificial lights, skyline and introduces a night sky very naturally.

astonm
great to see you made it in time Laurie. Sorry to hear you had problems with banding in the sky, the blues mast be a bit fussy, but your version has made good use of the complimentary blue/yellow colours creating a warm feel to the scene. Summer in the city even though itís winter here now.

Okay itís time to make a decision. A hard decision to make as ever, this time around I was particularly enamoured with the B&W versions by Glenn599 and Arizona Dave. The host for next week is based on retaining the wider field of view, managing the highlights and allowing the lights and darks to come to the fore in the river and the buildings.

Congrats to Arizona Dave for his B&W interpretation. Over to you for #225 mate.

Tas
06-19-2017, 02:51 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter

Congratulations Arizona Dave!

Thank you Tas for hosting this challenge, for the great image to work with and for taking the time to comment on each of the entries.
06-19-2017, 08:27 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Well done, AZ Dave. Thanks for providing such a challenging and pleasing photo to work with, Tas, and for taking the time to comment on each of the submissions. Brisbane looks like a lovely city.
06-19-2017, 08:46 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

congrats AZD, all three of yours were winners. and thanks Tas for a hosting, commenting and providing a wonderful Zeiss and Brisbane taster.😊
06-19-2017, 07:28 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Thanks everyone! 225 is live! Go play. Post Processing Challenge #225 - Superbloom - PentaxForums.com