Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2017, 07:26 AM - 4 Likes   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
gifthorse's composites took me on short PP trip

my son thinks it should be a velvet painting at a truck stop but I like what happened anyway

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
07-02-2017, 06:04 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oscar's a ten year old gelding donkey, about 49 inches at the shoulder and about 650 lbs. Our farrier, a Union Cavalry Civil War Reenactor, who trims equine hooves in Illinois and Kentucky, says he's his favorite donkey client.

(Hanimex preset f/3.5 180mm with K110D at iso200)
07-02-2017, 06:39 PM - 3 Likes   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't have to travel to far to see Amish and their draft horses.

07-03-2017, 03:31 AM - 5 Likes   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I don't have to travel to far to see Amish and their draft horses.

Those are a fascinating glimpse into another world. The last two in particular really feel like looking into a different century.

Here's some more random Dartmoor ponies:

07-03-2017, 03:53 PM - 3 Likes   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
That's an interesting effect, ccc_. goatsNdonkey's Oscar reminds me of a mule we had when I was a kid. Visitors would always show up with a half case of beer because the mule looooved beer. Open a bottle (it had to be bottles) and set the beer on a fence post. The mule would pick up the bottle, tip his head back and drain it, then drop the bottle and wait for the next beer. First time visitors were never warned about it. we'd just give them a beer, walk out to the corral and then ask for help with something that would get them to set their beer on a fence post and then have a good laugh when they watched the mule swipe their beer.

More wild horses.

These guys have learned that the mirrors on a car were designed for horses with a butt itch. They'll scratch until the mirror breaks.
07-03-2017, 04:05 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't have enough guts to want to discover whether Oscar is a mean or a mellow drunk! So no beer for him!

Back when mules were a mainstay of American agriculture, especially in the South, there was a gigantic amount of donkey raising going on, too, since you can't make mules without donkey fathers.

QuoteOriginally posted by gifthorse Quote
That's an interesting effect, ccc_. goatsNdonkey's Oscar reminds me of a mule we had when I was a kid. Visitors would always show up with a half case of beer because the mule looooved beer. Open a bottle (it had to be bottles) and set the beer on a fence post. The mule would pick up the bottle, tip his head back and drain it, then drop the bottle and wait for the next beer. First time visitors were never warned about it. we'd just give them a beer, walk out to the corral and then ask for help with something that would get them to set their beer on a fence post and then have a good laugh when they watched the mule swipe their beer.

More wild horses.

These guys have learned that the mirrors on a car were designed for horses with a butt itch. They'll scratch until the mirror breaks.
07-09-2017, 02:50 AM - 3 Likes   #22

Caught these out on a farm near me (and some dust on the sensor changing lenses by the looks).

07-09-2017, 10:40 AM - 4 Likes   #23
Pentaxian

Some working horses at Carriage Hill Metro Park - A historical working farm.

Tim

Last edited by atupdate; 07-27-2017 at 05:04 AM.
07-24-2017, 03:08 PM   #24
Veteran Member

last autumn I ran across a large flock of turkeys
moving through a road ditch to get a shot, I popped up...no turkeys (they had moved into the creek bottom) but a horse
Attached Images

07-24-2017, 03:35 PM - 2 Likes   #25
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K-S2 + FA 77

---------- Post added 07-25-17 at 08:38 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
Our farrier, a Union Cavalry Civil War Reenactor, who trims equine hooves in Illinois and Kentucky, says he's his favorite donkey client.
Is the Union re-enactor welcomed in Kentucky?
07-24-2017, 04:08 PM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Is the Union re-enactor welcomed in Kentucky?
A lot of people forget, or didn't realize, that Kentucky did not leave the Union to join the Confederacy, though there were Confederate sympathizers there and Confederate army recruits from there.

Map of the Union and Confederate States

When Civil War battles are recreated today, by historical reenactors, they need participants representing each side, of course. If there were no Union reenactors at such an event in the South, some of the Confederate reenactors would have to don Union uniforms in order to present the event.
07-24-2017, 09:14 PM   #27
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
A lot of people forget, or didn't realize, that Kentucky did not leave the Union to join the Confederacy, though there were Confederate sympathizers there and Confederate army recruits from there.
Map of the Union and Confederate States

When Civil War battles are recreated today, by historical reenactors, they need participants representing each side, of course. If there were no Union reenactors at such an event in the South, some of the Confederate reenactors would have to don Union uniforms in order to present the event.
That is a fine, polite and informative response to my smart-arse question (which wasn't so smart anyway). Always such an education here. You prompted me to read more about Kentucky. I even learned that Abraham Lincoln and Jefferson Davis were both born there.
07-25-2017, 03:06 AM - 2 Likes   #28
Pentaxian

Spring plowing demonstrations and competition at Carriage Hill Metro Park.

Tim
07-25-2017, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
That is a fine, polite and informative response to my smart-arse question (which wasn't so smart anyway). Always such an education here. You prompted me to read more about Kentucky. I even learned that Abraham Lincoln and Jefferson Davis were both born there.
It is particularly interesting to me, that Lincoln had 3 "home states"! Kentucky, where he was born, spent his earliest days, and later revisited; Indiana, where he spent the second half of his childhood (and was encouraged in his education by his step-mother); and Illinois, where he grew into his adulthood and tried various careers (storekeeper, surveyor, postmaster, lawyer, legislator). They are all referred to in a verse of what is often thought of as his presidential campaign song:"Lincoln & Liberty," which goes in part:

...the son of Kentucky
The hero of Hoosierdom through
The pride of the Suckers, so lucky

Indiana folk call themselves "Hoosiers," as many people know, and in the mid-1800s Illinoisans proudly held onto the title of "Suckers" which had none of the negative connotations it picked up in the 20th Century. There are competing stories explaining its origins. One goes that many of the earliest Illinois pioneers arrived there around the same time of year that the suckerfish migrated up the Mississippi and its tributaries. My favorite is based on the story, that some Illinois pioneers crossing wide expanses of Illinois prairie in the driest and hottest weeks of late summer, only kept from dying of thirst by finding an active crawdad mound in the prairie, and taking a 9 or 10-foot long stalk of big bluestem grass, and threading it down the crawdad burrow, to the little pool of water at the bottom. A crawdad digs its burrow down to the waterline in the soil, so if the crawdad was still alive there would be water there. Now, just imagine what a powerful sucker you'd have to be to suck water up all that distance through a stalk of grass! And you couldn't be squeamish about sucking up a some crawdad "spit" in the process either. But anybody who could do that, to save their lives, had true pioneer determination. So that's what the song was saying about Lincoln's Illinois connection.

To bring us back to the topic of horses, Lincoln road many a mile horseback, as a circuit riding lawyer among several central Illinois counties, riding in all kinds of weather, to boot. Here's picture of the statue depicting this which is on view at the Lincoln Tomb in Springfield, Illinois:

Here's a link to the website where the picture of the statue is found, among much other information:

http://www.abrahamlincolnonline.org/lincoln.html

Last edited by goatsNdonkey; 07-25-2017 at 05:16 PM.
07-26-2017, 09:55 AM - 3 Likes   #30
Pentaxian

Hitting the trails

Tim