(:

07-14-2017, 02:12 PM   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
pondering over an odd occurrence:

my SMC A 50mm f1.4, freshly back from a CLA, does not like my K-50 it seems... whenever I am shooting with this lens (on the K-50) at f1.4, every 10th shot or so, the lens will seem to jam (for lack of a better descriptor) closed for about a half-second, then spring back open and act normal again...

I cannot, however, replicate this at all on my K-3 - dozens of shots, all at f1.4, and nothing of the sort at all...

I have tried replacing the battery in the K-50 with a freshly-charged battery and it seems to happen no matter what - but at any other aperture, it works fine...

any thoughts?
Ugh. I hope you're not seeing the early signs of an aperture block failure. The K-50s are known for that. *crosses fingers*
07-14-2017, 02:59 PM   #63
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by babywriter Quote
Ugh. I hope you're not seeing the early signs of an aperture block failure. The K-50s are known for that. *crosses fingers*

that was my first thought when it happened - it's not that, however - the aperture block failure results in black/severely underexposed frames - when this happens on my K-50, it doesn't capture an image at all....
07-15-2017, 06:49 AM - 2 Likes   #64
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Take a month's break. Chill. Get off the treadmill.
Always good advice. You have an infant, a toddler, a dog, a household, and are trying to start a photo business. SIC should be a very low priority at this time, though I do enjoy seeing wolfiepup and sisterpup grow up, thanks for posting when you can.

SIC is supposed to be a friendly challenge, we spur each other on to taking shots, and hopefully improving with each one. As one of of my favorite TV shows' hosts said " The rules are made up and the points don't matter" It's fun, and a learning experience as we take useful critiques and try new things, or try to perfect our photo making ability.

I didn't expect to be so busy, but I am currently, I'll put some shots up as time allows.

07-15-2017, 12:43 PM   #65

I'm trying to get caught up posting images from missing days. And I'm way behind on comments. The home internet has been dreadfully slow (especially with Flickr). Unfortunately there are no great connectivity options in my remote location, and I may try to find something slightly better when my current service contract expires. My cellular service is decent, but navigating this challenge by phone is a pain. I'll try my best to get back into the swing of things.

Last edited by vZwicky; 07-15-2017 at 12:54 PM.
07-16-2017, 01:56 AM - 1 Like   #66
Veteran Member

Thanks pathdoc and robgski.

I guess i just wanted to stick with my q of thenyear.challenge. but i am.seriously uninspired atm.

I've done some stuff in the portfolio with my friend that i am truly proud of.

I have two more sessions to go, and.another potential third which I'm 50/50 about.

I feel like i have really honed my craft here on the forums. In particular, singles in

The professional that i spoke to a few weeks ago seems to deflate me in comparison. I send him some of the shots i took, and all i got was 'nice'. Hrmpff.

I think i would have preferred a "your horizon is wonky". Lol

I did get perverse pleasure when he asked ok, canon or nikon?

And i said neither. Pentax.

And he was like, whoa... i know nothing about pentax. *rolls eyes*
07-16-2017, 05:32 AM   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wolfiegirl Quote
Thanks pathdoc and robgski.

I guess i just wanted to stick with my q of thenyear.challenge. but i am.seriously uninspired atm.

I've done some stuff in the portfolio with my friend that i am truly proud of.

I have two more sessions to go, and.another potential third which I'm 50/50 about.

I feel like i have really honed my craft here on the forums. In particular, singles in

The professional that i spoke to a few weeks ago seems to deflate me in comparison. I send him some of the shots i took, and all i got was 'nice'. Hrmpff.

I think i would have preferred a "your horizon is wonky

I did get perverse pleasure when he asked ok, canon or nikon?

And i said neither. Pentax.

And he was like, whoa... i know nothing about pentax. *rolls eyes*

That's kind of funny that he would state he knew nothing of Pentax. As though he would have some sound advice if it were Canon or Nikon. Maybe Pentax just works so much different he didn't know what to say.

---------- Post added 07-16-2017 at 07:50 AM ----------

Someone needs to talk me out of buying the DA 20-40. I just happened to look into it a bit the other day and now I want to try one as a walk around lens. Plus there's a $100 discount for the month of July. So much for downsizing my gear.

07-16-2017, 06:33 AM   #68
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
[/COLOR]Someone needs to talk me out of buying the DA 20-40. I just happened to look into it a bit the other day and now I want to try one as a walk around lens. Plus there's a $100 discount for the month of July. So much for downsizing my gear.

I'm not sure that's what we are best at - we are MUCH better at talking you INTO buying the DA20-40....

I've been tempted by that lens several times, but end up buying old primes, instead...
07-16-2017, 04:49 PM   #69
Veteran Member

That's kind of funny that he would state he knew nothing of Pentax. As though he would have some sound advice if it were Canon or Nikon. Maybe Pentax just works so much different he didn't know what to say.

---------- Post added 07-16-2017 at 07:50 AM ----------

Someone needs to talk me out of buying the DA 20-40. I just happened to look into it a bit the other day and now I want to try one as a walk around lens. Plus there's a $100 discount for the month of July. So much for downsizing my gear.
It was a throwaway line I think, and he was trying to bond. But when I tried to elicit a bit about gear etc, turns out he's not that much of a gear head. Couldn't get him passionately talking about his stuff. He shoots a lot of stuff with a 200mm prime, which I thought was surprising.

He was a little horrified that I could shoot manual too. And was like, most professional photogs (i.e. all) shoot AV. I'm like, yeah, I can shoot AV, but I can shoot manual too. Esp with the older lens etc. And you could see my talk just going over his head. A bit disappointed really. I guess I had it in my head that a professional photographer would be like us on the forums. All talk about gear and stuff. I mentioned my mountain of stuff with another woman photographer and she just laughed at me. =/

For my indoors lifestyle stuff I've realised I'd like a fast wide angle. I have a 17-70/2.8-4.5, which I didn't take to my last shoot. I only took the da 35/2.4 and the 50/1.8. Both worked great, but I needed something wider than the 35mm. OR I needed to back up. The other (more expensive) option is to go wider. I was going to ask you guys what to recommend, and this DA 20-40 you're mentioning sounds interesting..... lol lol lol

Bet it costs a bomb though and I should wait till I get some funds before I can do anything.

My last few hundred went to professional development, and some more print samples.
07-16-2017, 05:10 PM   #70
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

For my indoors lifestyle stuff I've realised I'd like a fast wide angle. I have a 17-70/2.8-4.5, which I didn't take to my last shoot. I only took the da 35/2.4 and the 50/1.8. Both worked great, but I needed something wider than the 35mm. OR I needed to back up. The other (more expensive) option is to go wider. I was going to ask you guys what to recommend, and this DA 20-40 you're mentioning sounds interesting..... lol lol lol

Bet it costs a bomb though and I should wait till I get some funds before I can do anything.

My last few hundred went to professional development, and some more print samples.

how wide and how fast?

my standard answer (for APS-C) is the DA 14/2.8 (but you'll get a bunch of people talking about the DA15 Limited, too)...
07-16-2017, 05:21 PM   #71
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The 20-40 is a bargain right now at $696. The 14, 15 and 21 are great wide primes. Personally, when I needed a wide zoom for paid work, I had my 17-70 f/4 SDM mounted. Sharp, constant f/4 and great color. I guess I was blessed with a copy that has never given me SDM issues.

I really like the DA 35 too. An amazing lens for the price.
07-16-2017, 05:43 PM   #72
Veteran Member

The 20-40 is a bargain right now at $696. The 14, 15 and 21 are great wide primes. Personally, when I needed a wide zoom for paid work, I had my 17-70 f/4 SDM mounted. Sharp, constant f/4 and great color. I guess I was blessed with a copy that has never given me SDM issues.

I really like the DA 35 too. An amazing lens for the price.
i have the da 35. but i wanted to go a bit wider in case i forget to back up again. lol

$696.. ouchies.

I started out shooting at f4, but i've seen quite a number of photographers comment that they shoot no wider than 3.5.

*gulp*

i used to miss quite a lot, so went up to f4. so i guess it means i need to improve my technique too
07-16-2017, 06:13 PM   #73
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

i have the da 35. but i wanted to go a bit wider in case i forget to back up again. lol

$696.. ouchies.

I started out shooting at f4, but i've seen quite a number of photographers comment that they shoot no wider than 3.5.

*gulp*

i used to miss quite a lot, so went up to f4. so i guess it means i need to improve my technique too
$696 is a pretty big hit, especially when I can spend about $200 more and have the FA 31 which completes my trifecta.

I use to love doing paid work. Engagement shoots, beach portraits and Christmas events. For four years I did the graduating nursing class at the local college, including a 36" x 48" collage of portraits that all hang in the hallway.

Then I went where there was more money, weddings. The first few were fantastic, the last two were true bridezillas. The last one couldn't decide what prints she wanted, so when she finally decided she told me she wanted them all (and gave me a four page list). When I explained to her that the list would cost her $1400 (I added up 1000 prints and 15 CDs) she threw a fit and cussed me every which way but Sunday.

That's the real reason why I took a break for a few years. Now I'm back here and doing what I love, just shooting.

I will say I preferred to shoot at f/4 or f/5.6, which was a sweet spot for most lenses with enough speed for most cathedrals. Having the FA 77 made for some beautiful close up portraits, but the 17-70, at 70 f/4 would have done a sufficient job. I tried to keep my kit as simple as I could, 17-70, Sigma 24-105, and 77 with 2 bodies. I had a longer lens available if needed, but never used it.
07-16-2017, 07:43 PM   #74
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I got nothing for today. At 104 degrees outside I opted to stay inside.
07-16-2017, 08:03 PM   #75
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I got nothing for today. At 104 degrees outside I opted to stay inside.
Can't say I blame you there, that's hot.