Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2017, 07:14 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Single In July 2017

Welcome everyone to the Single In July 2017 Challenge!

Theme days:

Saturday 8th July: BACKLIT

Saturday 15th July: BLUR

Friday 21st July: B/SELFIES

Saturday 29th July: MULTIPLE EXPOSURE

Aim of the Game:To use the same lens each day for a month, posting one picture captured each day with that lens. The picture must be captured with a Pentax lens coupled to a camera body of your choice (including Pentax/Ricoh), a non-Pentax lens provided it is coupled only to a Pentax or Ricoh body, or a Pentax-Ricoh point&shoot camera. (Taking other pictures with other cameras/lenses is fine, but these won’t be eligible for this Challenge).

Commenting: Posting your pictures allows other participants to comment on them. Conversely, it’s hoped that you will comment on those of other members. Please don’t be shy if you don’t have much photographic experience or are a Forum newbie - your personal reactions to photographs are as valid as anyone else’s. It’s a very friendly group and with regular commenting, you’ll soon be enjoying the camaraderie.

The rewards: It’s great fun. You’ll learn heaps about how your chosen lens can perform and you’ll see what other members achieve with their selected lenses - sometimes the same one you’ve chosen. In the comment banter you’ll pick up many tips on photographic technique generally, including post processing. As the month progresses it often becomes quite demanding (it’s a challenge, remember) but you’ll always be encouraged by other participants. Worried about LBA? - this game doesn’t help you fight it!

How to participate:

1. First you need to join the Group to be able to post pictures; you only have to do this once. The group’s name is “Monthly Photo Challenges”. You’ll find a clickable link on that forum page to join.

2. You’ll need to have your pictures stored in an on-line album. This could be the Pentax Forum, or others such as Flickr, Picassa etc. You actually post a link to the picture in your album into the daily picture thread.

** If you are linking to a Pentax Forum album, you’ll find advice on how to post elsewhere in the Forum and in the FAQs below. One of the Challenge’s stalwarts, patjp, has also prepared a short video on how to do this - it’s on YouTube (Singlein.m4v)

** If you are posting a link to Flickr, just click on the sharing icon below your selected picture and a window will open displaying the BB code. Copy it and paste into the Single in (month) Challenge thread in the Pentax Forum.

Each day, you’ll see a new thread of pictures grow and by clicking on each you should be redirected to the photographer’s parent album where you will be able to add a comment and read those of others. When you post each day’s picture to the Pentax Forum, please specify the camera/lens combination underneath your picture eg K5 & DA15 Ltd - this makes it easy for others to note what combo you’re using.

The thread you’re painstakingly reading now is the Discussion Thread for Game > Single in (month).

This is separate to the picture posting thread referred to above and you’ll probably want to subscribe to the Discussion one to keep up with activities and develop a rapport with Challenge members. It’s the place where you can ask questions, offer advice, share concerns, suggest improvements, and often just participate in general banter related to this month’s challenge.

So there it is. It is easier than it might seem at first. If you miss a day, don’t worry. If you have any problems, please ask. We’re a very friendly, forgiving, international bunch. Come and try!

FAQs: Finally, Zorglub has kindly posted a FAQ collection here …. The FAQ - Monthly Photo Challenges - PentaxForums.com

Video below was created by patjp

Last edited by photolady95; 07-20-2017 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Changed Wednesday 21st to actual day of 21st.
06-22-2017, 07:23 PM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
if my A50/1.4 is back from a CLA in time... other wise...

I'm considering doing monochrome for an entire month.....
06-22-2017, 08:01 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Not sure about July yet. Probably but not sure which lens. I'm selling all my zooms so I'll have think hard which for July.
06-22-2017, 09:34 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I just picked up a Super-Multi-Coated Macro Takumar 50mm f/4. Thinking of combining it with my ring light and making it a macro month.

06-23-2017, 02:36 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I will participate
06-23-2017, 03:54 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by babywriter Quote
I just picked up a Super-Multi-Coated Macro Takumar 50mm f/4.
I bought my copy as a bright-sunlight walkaround lens on my Spotmatic F. Sure, I can put a 4+ dioptre on the front of an S-M-C Tak 50/1.4 (and in dim light I would), but it's so nice being able to go from really close to infinity without having to fit or unscrew anything - from front or back.

I won't be in for July - too much going on in other aspects of life - but I'm going to keep an eye on this thread and see what others are doing.
06-23-2017, 04:37 AM - 1 Like   #7
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by babywriter Quote
I just picked up a Super-Multi-Coated Macro Takumar 50mm f/4. Thinking of combining it with my ring light and making it a macro month.

mmmm... macro-monochrome-month.......

06-23-2017, 05:17 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
macro-monochrome-month.......
The only problem I see with this is that many small things which fly, creep and slither really do need colour to do them justice.
06-23-2017, 11:58 AM   #9
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
The only problem I see with this is that many small things which fly, creep and slither really do need colour to do them justice.
agreed - I may only post the monochrome shots in the group thread, but there'll be full color in my flickr-feed....
06-23-2017, 12:12 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The thought just occurred to me: I can put the macro Tak on my Q, using the Q-K adapter .... that will give me the equivalent of a 250mm flat-field macro lens. The mind boggles.

I'm going to like July, I think.
06-24-2017, 07:17 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not too many participants on tap, I think we need to try and attract some more people.
06-24-2017, 07:44 AM   #12
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Not too many participants on tap, I think we need to try and attract some more people.

we could do a carwash or rummage sale?
06-24-2017, 02:19 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I'm certainly up for ideas. I'm still relatively new here, and don't have a good sense as to what opportunities might exist for promotion on the site, or what is allowed/not allowed.
06-25-2017, 03:34 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Looking through my store of lenses, I've decided to take the Sears/Samyung 135mm M f2.8 out for this months run.
06-26-2017, 02:33 PM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Since I've been out the past almost 3 years, I think I'll opt in this month. I just picked up a Q10 for a steal and have been playing with it the past 2 days. I might just use it with the 02 lens for the month.