Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
08-15-2017, 05:16 AM   #16
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thank you very much Glenn, and thanks for a great image to work with and for taking the time to provide some feedback to everyone.

It's a bit late to sort out the new challenge tonight but I will have it posted tomorrow morning (within the next 10 hours or so).

Tas

08-15-2017, 04:29 PM   #17
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tally Ho! It's PP Challenge #231!

I say Squadron Leader, bandit pixels below at 6 o'clock!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/26-mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/3...brisvegas.html

Roger that, follow my lead, let's get some pixels changed then get home for a jolly good brew up.

This post was brought to you by 'Battle of Britain pilot speak' as interpreted by a half mad Australian.

Hope to see you all again for the #231.

Tas

Last edited by Tas; 08-16-2017 at 03:13 PM.
08-15-2017, 07:54 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Glenn5995 Quote
green tint
Interesting. Thanks for noting this. I often use some "portra" emulation RGB curves in Rawtherapee or Gimp on my people shots and used them again here... I've checked just by eye on the three monitors I use and don't 'see' the green tint, but come to think of it, I do have some green color blindness! I will examine things again in RT with the color checker later where I applied the curves...

Nice work everyone! Congrats Tas! Thanks for hosting and judging, Glenn!

Edit: Glenn, please check these two versions for me, straight out of Rawtherapee.. Thinking it might be the white balance... I used auto white balance on my entry version and this is the Rawtherapee version from before I sent it to Gimp:

Then in trying to figure this out I went back to your white balance.. Does this seem to get rid of the green tint for you?

To me the second with your white balance looks warmer but I can't say I see green tint in either..

Oh and do we get to see your version?

Last edited by todd; 08-15-2017 at 08:12 PM.
08-16-2017, 01:04 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
I say Squadron Leader, bandit pixels below at 6 o'clock!

File sharing and storage made simple

Roger that, follow my lead, let's get some pixels changed then get home for a jolly good brew up.

This post was brought to you by 'Battle of Britain pilot speak' as interpreted by a half mad Australian.

Hope to see you all again for the #231.

Tas
Has a new post for #231 been created yet?

QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
Interesting. Thanks for noting this. I often use some "portra" emulation RGB curves in Rawtherapee or Gimp on my people shots and used them again here... I've checked just by eye on the three monitors I use and don't 'see' the green tint, but come to think of it, I do have some green color blindness! I will examine things again in RT with the color checker later where I applied the curves...

Nice work everyone! Congrats Tas! Thanks for hosting and judging, Glenn!

Edit: Glenn, please check these two versions for me, straight out of Rawtherapee.. Thinking it might be the white balance... I used auto white balance on my entry version and this is the Rawtherapee version from before I sent it to Gimp:

Then in trying to figure this out I went back to your white balance.. Does this seem to get rid of the green tint for you?

To me the second with your white balance looks warmer but I can't say I see green tint in either..

Oh and do we get to see your version?
To my eyes both those images look the same.
I have two monitors side by side, one a new 24 inch LED 144hz panel I use for gaming (pew pew pew!), the other an old 27inch 1080p lcd, it's definitely washed out more, not as good contrast. I do most my editing on my newer screen which has deeper blacks etc, but I often check on the 27 inch older screen what the final edit looks like, always there is a huge difference between the two. So yeh... people will always see our images quite different to how we see them I guess.
My wifes old job, she handled social media for a certain governmental department (parklands), and her manager always complained the pictures looked 'off', that they needed 'increased vibrance' etc (many of these shots were professionally taken). I have no doubt she had her phone in 'reading mode' or some other setting which wasn't maximising the colours, contrast, brightness and vibrance of the images, she was well known for being quite IT incompetent!

But anyway, I am perhaps not as sensitive to editing as others, I can't see the green tint here myself. Just next time I think we should all pull back on the greens for Glenns screen

08-16-2017, 03:14 PM   #20
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Has a new post for #231 been created yet?
Yes sorry about that, I put the wrong link in my post somehow, here's the link to #231: PP Challenge #231 Viva Brisvegas - PentaxForums.com

Tas
08-16-2017, 03:55 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jcomley Quote
measured both images with a color meter on my mac, and find the second image has a little deficiency in the blue channel which allows yellow to come out more. but very hard to see.
Interesting. beyond me.. at first i thought maybe again because of the portra emulation curve adjustments which does lower the bottom half of the blue channel slightly, but they are applied to both versions above...

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
To my eyes both those images look the same.
Interesting as well.. I think one day I'm going to have to get a real calibrator.. until then I continue my guesswork!