Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2017, 04:21 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PP Challenge #231 Viva Brisvegas

G'day everyone,

Welcome to PP Challenge #231, but before we kick off I would like to thank Glenn for hosting with a great image of people as we don't often see portraiture but I do appreciate the challenge when they're posted. I had a look at my 'people' images and then went with a cityscape.

I thought this would provide a better challenge than many of my people images, so this is the image for Challenge #231:

The image was captured using the K-1 and the D-FA 15-30, and with the wide angle and exposure for the sky there's plenty of work needed to make the most of this exposure. Good luck everyone, I look forward to seeing your visions of Christmas eve in Brisbane (2016).

The challenge will be open for one week, it is morning on Wednesday August 16 in Oz, so that will mean the morning of August 23 in Oz and Tuesday August 22 for most other regions.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/ozmjqgb7quorru2/PP_Challenge_%23231.DNG

A note to the winner: Please copy and post this info into the next challenge.

The mediafire website is: mediafire.com
The login name is: ppchallenge@tmphillips.com
The password is: postprocessing

08-15-2017, 05:25 PM - 4 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
08-15-2017, 07:45 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Last edited by Glenn5995; 08-16-2017 at 11:53 AM.
08-16-2017, 01:27 AM   #4
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Processed in C1. Some global adjusts, but mostly played with layers to adjust exposure and HDR locally. Split picture into sky, city and water, couple of gradient masks and one to fine tune the highlights.

08-16-2017, 04:25 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
just me being pushy

i dont think I stand a chance of 1st place, but just in case, i can't host next week... thanks

Last edited by todd; 08-16-2017 at 04:31 PM.
08-16-2017, 07:02 PM   #6

Sunset Cruise
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 

Last edited by ricolet; 08-16-2017 at 07:11 PM. Reason: added [img] tag to the message body
08-16-2017, 08:02 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Nice Sky

08-17-2017, 12:58 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tried to do something different from the rest, hope you like.

By the way, can I just say that this is why I love the Post Processing challenge. I have not yet really had to use the Lens Correction and Transform features to correct fisheye/distorted perspectives (as I have no lens wide enough), but this challenge forced me to tinker with and learn how to use that feature

PS: U can't tell but there's a white bordering around this pic that frames it better. :S
Attached Images

08-20-2017, 02:07 PM   #9
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Not a bad start, still a few days to go

Well done to those who've jumped into the challenge, as always the range of the submissions varies a lot for the same image, and for me this is one of the best reasons to be a part of these challenges.

We've got just over 2 days before this one rounds up, so hopefully we'll see more challengers.

Tas
08-22-2017, 05:45 PM   #10
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
PP Challenge #231 is now closed

G'day everyone,

A small field again this week, which happens I guess but hopefully #232 can buck the trend. To those who gave my image a go for #231 I thank you for participating and taking the time to put your vision onto a scene most of you have not seen before (I assume). I worked a similar image late last year taken around the same time so I will post that at the bottom for you to see how I rendered the image.

As always the hardest part, but an enjoyable one nonetheless, is to review the images submitted and learn from how each individual chooses to process the image and see what part of the image they have emphasised in the creation of their version. And as you've taken the time to do the challenge here's my feedback on your respective submissions:

caliscouser Quick off the mark for posting and a nicely straightened bright scene pano that's changed the feel of the original, to an image that could be a part of an advertising campaign. Nice work mate.

jcomley Continuing in a blending style applied in #227 and #228 that renders the city similar to a 1980’s video game. I’ll have to keep an eye out for Kong.

Glenn5995 a very impressive rendition that like caliscouser has provided a pano aspect without leaning buildings. I particularly like the light rendering on the buildings to the right and how this creates an orderly feel to the cityscape.

iheiramo Sticking with the wider field of view means a full cloudscape in this image but at the cost of lean on the outer part of the frame. This image reminds me why I should have captured a vertorama so I could take advantage of both, alas a decision has to be made which you’ve done. Leaving the buildings in the shadows allows for the river scene and the cloudscape to draw the eye nicely, and taking away the empahsis from the buildings reducing the impact of the wide angle perspective.

todd I like the framing drawn from the wider image, it takes advantage of the rule of thirds with the Citycat nicely with bold colours in the background. The clouds look like a thermonuclear explosion but gee it’s brought out so much detail in the reds and oranges.

ricolet Another variation of a crop taken from the wider image creating a balanced symmetrical scene. The lighter 'glow' rendering makes this feel more summery and less turbulent than the clouds could have represented, a choice unique in the submissions and one I'd not considered, so thank you for the idea for creating almost an 'other-wordly' look to the scene. BTW, the Citycats are a great way to get around Brisbane if you’re ever down our way.

Arizona Dave A scene awash with a soft magenta look placing the focus central in the frame. I particularly like the way the light and shadow renders on the water and I appreciate that you’ve aimed to keep as much of the cloud in the scene.

BruceBanner Only the one mono this time but one that is heavy in contrast that draws detail from the clouds and makes good use of light on the buildings and water. The crop while strong really suits the scene making great use of the contrast between the sky and dark buildings. If there was rain this could bge a still from Sin City and again it's a version I hadn't considered so I appreciate the opportunity to see the image from such a unique and different perspective.

Well thanks again all who've taken the challenge, and now onto choosing a host for PP Challenge #232

I really like the mono version by Bruce and the bold red/orange detail in todd's sky. For me though I've decided to choose next week's host on their lighter commercial look with subtle orange on the water and plenty of cityscape detail. The host for #232 is caliscouser. Well done mate.

I look forward to the next challenge, and if you're interested below is my version from a similar image.

Tas
08-22-2017, 08:41 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Tas. Great raw material from the K-1 / 15-30 combo and not too shabby from the photographer either .

Challenge #232 is now open here: PP Challenge #232 Chester Street Scene - PentaxForums.com
08-23-2017, 12:19 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well done caliscouser, and thanks Tas for a great image to work with.
I saw caliscouswer, Glenn95's and todds versions and knew I couldn't compete, so I tried for something different hehe. I really enjoy this mini comp, not due to the competitive nature but that the comp forces me up a learning curve I am not familiar with. This challenge pointed me in the direction of Lens Correction and Transform section of LightRoom, something up until now I have never touched.

Well done everyone for their entries