Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2017, 04:44 PM - 4 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Cyberpunk

Show us real life Cyberpunk places.

I have seen a lot of Cyberpunk’s style photo online, but not much here. Anyone does Cyberpunk's style photography?

Wiki’s definition of Cyberpunk is here.

---------- Post added 08-21-17 at 08:49 AM ----------

I will start with this one. It was raining on and off in Tokyo all day and the windows get really dirty from the rain drops: an ideal for cyberpunk's style photography.
K3 + DA15

Last edited by pakinjapan; 08-20-2017 at 06:25 PM.
08-25-2017, 08:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Another one with K3 + DA15

08-26-2017, 08:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

if it was raining or lots of smog, then that would be very cyberpunk..
In fact, as cyberpunk lore goes, Toyko would be very clean, being the headquarters for all corporations.. Probably Malaysia or Belgium would be more representative of cyberpunk, as these places tend to mix old with new buildings
08-26-2017, 11:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The style can be different for each person / artist. it is not limited to some particular cities, time of the day or anything at all.
For as long as it is a high tech, futuristic looking of surrounding environment and or lifestyle. Let's show the photo.

Last edited by pakinjapan; 08-27-2017 at 12:12 AM.
08-27-2017, 04:52 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very cool pictures.

I think cities with a lot of densely packed, newer buildings give a better picture for the cyberpunk feel. IIRC, the genre was often set in "sprawl" Cities, like Boston to Washington as one continuous urban mass. Several of Japan's cities were merged in the same way in these stories. I haven't been to Japan, or the cities of the Pacific Rim, but some of those cities are embodiment of what I think of as cyberpunk cities.
I have been to Dubai, UAE, Kuwait City, and Doha, Qatar, those are newer and more futuristic, they could be cyberpunk as well.

Another feature of cyberpunk is that daylight is seldom seen, it is a city of night and artificial light. A shot like yours above also captures the "Grid" layout, so a city block also looks like a classic circuit board, the kind you'd find in a computer. The lighting is ambient, and creates and overall cold mood, a bit robotic. Those Near Eastern cities I mentioned above are only Ok to look at in the harsh desert sun, but to see them lit up at night is amazing.
08-27-2017, 03:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
- Cities with a lot of densely packed, newer buildings...
- "sprawl" Cities, like Boston to Washington as one continuous urban mass...
- I have been to Dubai, UAE, Kuwait City, and Doha, Qatar, those are newer and more futuristic, they could be cyberpunk as well...
- daylight is seldom seen...
- city of night and artificial light...
- the "Grid" layout, so a city block also looks like a classic circuit board...
- The lighting is ambient, and creates and overall cold mood, a bit robotic...
You describe it better than I could
I will go for stree level cyberpunk style in a few week, and I will be back to show some of them here.

I want to improve my shooting technique and I hope to see another people work and styles here. Nothing better than learn from the real world example. I will be happy to exchange / talk about shooting technique and location too.

Last edited by pakinjapan; 08-27-2017 at 06:13 PM.
08-27-2017, 05:17 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Didn't Ridley Scott capture the atmosphere of cyberpunk best with Bladerunner?

08-27-2017, 05:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
The best...

There is also a small novel "Bad Voltage" from Jonathan Little , that describes very well a cyberpunk atmosphere, where corporate employees (Suits) live in clean buildings, but the rest of the population lived under Paris, sewer system, or surrounding old buildings that where marked to be demolished
08-28-2017, 02:58 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
I think Scott's movie predates most cyberpunk, I am certain that his movie influenced the gritty yet high tech settings of the genre. Then again, I am sure a lot of Japanese manga and anime influenced Scott, as well as other imagery. I'm no film historian, nor anime fan. I've never been to Japan, but the images I've seen of cities there, a mix of lots of people, neon lighting, fashion trends, technology and such, was a huge and futuristic contrast to the traditional, or more familiar, European architecture of cities. In he late 70s and early 80s, Japan's influence on Europe and america was growing tremendously for various reasons but esepecially in technology, the "Cyber", while there was a malaise in Europe and America, and unrest and new protests and creativity, the "punk". It was a timely match.

I live in a small town now, but I'll keep your cyberpunk idea in mind the next time I go to a big city.
09-01-2017, 08:25 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Urban panorama on loop with K3 + DA21
This one taken from a building close to my office last night.

09-02-2017, 06:31 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That is fantastic!
09-27-2017, 03:45 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
K3 + DA21
I wish DA limited series are WR lenses. I would trade pancake for WR any day.