Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 220 Likes Search this Thread
08-28-2017, 07:22 PM - 1 Like   #76
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Totality in central Wyoming

I had ideas of bracketing exposures... but as totality approached in Wyoming, I lost all intention of doing anything but watching with my own eyes. Through binoculars, we could see several pinkish/orangish solar prominences - several photographers posted images here that feature the prominences and of course the awesome corona! At one point I realized the shutter button was within reach, so I pressed it and this is what turned out. I even forgot to save a raw file. Oh well, for giving it my whole attention, I'll remember the images and experiences forever.

Great job everyone! Anyone making plans for 2019 or 2024?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
08-28-2017, 09:59 PM - 1 Like   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A bit late to the party, but here are 2 of mine. 1st one is a composite of the Bailey's beads at the beginning of totality and towards the end.
2nd one is a single shot right before totality is over. Do have some shots of the corona, but still needs some processing and won't make it for this.
Both taken with K-1 with 150-450mm that's been cropped in.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo   
08-28-2017, 10:03 PM - 5 Likes   #78

Here are a few shots taken near Columbia, Missouri with the K-1, da* 300, and 1.4x and 1.7x adapters.

08-29-2017, 08:46 AM   #79
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ignatowski Quote
Here are a few shots taken near Columbia, Missouri with the K-1, da* 300, and 1.4x and 1.7x adapters.

I'm really surprised you were able to get such fantastic shots as these. I had stationed myself at Arrow Head Historic Park, dead center in the umbral path, but thick clouds began moving overhead. I decided to de-camp and hightail it south to Sedalia where there was some blue sky overhead. Didn't have time to set up for pre-totality shots, though...

08-29-2017, 10:51 AM   #80

QuoteOriginally posted by Geodude Quote
I'm really surprised you were able to get such fantastic shots as these. I had stationed myself at Arrow Head Historic Park, dead center in the umbral path, but thick clouds began moving overhead. I decided to de-camp and hightail it south to Sedalia where there was some blue sky overhead. Didn't have time to set up for pre-totality shots, though...
Got lucky with the weather, most of the clouds passed just north of us over near the Pine Ridge Recreation Area.
08-29-2017, 12:05 PM   #81
unp
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Roger Dier Quote
I like your photos, UNP. Where in Carbondale did you shoot these photos? I have a few in this thread, and you can see where in Carbondale I shot mine. Your Bailey's Beads photo isn't a beads photo in the classic sense, but it's close. That's Probably because of the milky goop we were shooting through that day. Anyway, well done!

---------- Post added 08-28-17 at 06:03 PM ----------

Outstanding photos.

---------- Post added 08-28-17 at 06:04 PM ----------

Outstanding photos.
Roger,

I appreciate your comments. I do not live in Carbondale but went there just for the eclipse. I was about a mile south of SIU arena. I agree with your comment about the Bailey's Beads. My pictures are not real sharp even though I tried my best and I think the milky goop on that day played a major role in it. I also was shooting with 2 system in parallel, K-1 on wide angle and K-5 iis on tele. I wanted to shoot as many pictures of the totality as possible with both of my systems and didn't have much time to think about during the totality. I was hoping for a better Bailey's Beads picture but just got this one. Anyway, Carbondale, IL will also see the 2024 total solar eclipse and I will be there again.

Thanks,
UNP

---------- Post added 08-29-17 at 02:13 PM ----------

ignatowski,

Your pictures are amazing, very very sharp; even after combining 2 teleconverters!! Just WOW!!!

I have a few questions and would appreciate if you could answer them.

1. Which solar filter did you use?
2. Can you combine 1.4x and 1.7x adapters (teleconverters) on one lens? I never thought about it!!
3. Did you use Pentax brand teleconverters or 3rd party?

Thanks,
unp
08-29-2017, 02:04 PM   #82

QuoteOriginally posted by unp Quote
Roger,

I appreciate your comments. I do not live in Carbondale but went there just for the eclipse. I was about a mile south of SIU arena. I agree with your comment about the Bailey's Beads. My pictures are not real sharp even though I tried my best and I think the milky goop on that day played a major role in it. I also was shooting with 2 system in parallel, K-1 on wide angle and K-5 iis on tele. I wanted to shoot as many pictures of the totality as possible with both of my systems and didn't have much time to think about during the totality. I was hoping for a better Bailey's Beads picture but just got this one. Anyway, Carbondale, IL will also see the 2024 total solar eclipse and I will be there again.

Thanks,
UNP

---------- Post added 08-29-17 at 02:13 PM ----------

ignatowski,

Your pictures are amazing, very very sharp; even after combining 2 teleconverters!! Just WOW!!!

I have a few questions and would appreciate if you could answer them.

1. Which solar filter did you use?
2. Can you combine 1.4x and 1.7x adapters (teleconverters) on one lens? I never thought about it!!
3. Did you use Pentax brand teleconverters or 3rd party?

Thanks,
unp
For the partials I used the "Baader AstroSolar Visual Solar Filter Film (ND 5)".

The 1.4x and 1.7x were both pentax brand. I had the 1.4x closest to the camera, then 1.7x, then da* 300mm. For focusing I used the live view magnification and aimed for the sunspots. It was very finicky and took several attempts to get it perfect. After that I taped it down which held up for the duration of the eclipse. I also used the electronic shutter which might have helped with sharpness.

08-29-2017, 04:53 PM   #83
unp
Forum Member

For the partials I used the "Baader AstroSolar Visual Solar Filter Film (ND 5)".

The 1.4x and 1.7x were both pentax brand. I had the 1.4x closest to the camera, then 1.7x, then da* 300mm. For focusing I used the live view magnification and aimed for the sunspots. It was very finicky and took several attempts to get it perfect. After that I taped it down which held up for the duration of the eclipse. I also used the electronic shutter which might have helped with sharpness.
ignatowski,

Thank you for answering my questions.

unp : I used exactly the same product on my cameras!

The 1.4x and 1.7x were both pentax brand. I had the 1.4x closest to the camera, then 1.7x, then da* 300mm.
unp : Great to know, I never thought about combining 2 teleconverters! I did many trial runs days before the eclipse and tried many different options. I used a Tamron 1.4 TC (which has a very good reputation) on my F* 300 during my trials. Realized that I was losing some sharpness with my 1.4 TC so took all my eclipse pictures without the teleconverter. I believe the Pentax TCs are better than Tamron TCs.

For focusing I used the live view magnification and aimed for the sunspots. It was very finicky and took several attempts to get it perfect. After that I taped it down which held up for the duration of the eclipse. I also used the electronic shutter which might have helped with sharpness.
unp : Nice techniques, will sure try these techniques.

Thanks,
unp
08-29-2017, 07:02 PM - 2 Likes   #84

end of totality, western NC

K3, sigma 100-300F4
Attached Images

08-30-2017, 07:26 PM   #85
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great shots. I was also near Columbia. Originally was at Arrow Rock, but clouds came in so sped towards Columbia and ended up in some corn fields in MacBaine. Was worth it.
08-30-2017, 07:35 PM - 1 Like   #86
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Seems like everyone was watching the eclipse.
Attached Images

08-31-2017, 06:13 AM - 2 Likes   #87
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's my contribution, individual images taken with K-1, 150-450 at 400, Seymour Solar filter for partial phases, PP in Lightroom. Location was Townville, SC:
Attached Images

Last edited by bjdavey; 08-31-2017 at 01:04 PM.
09-01-2017, 09:56 PM - 1 Like   #88

Eclipse from Oregon. Lots of smoke in the air but was able to get a decent view of the total eclipse.

K5 and 55-300 at 300mm.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
09-02-2017, 03:16 PM   #89

Didn't have much of a zoom (only 200mm) or a solar filter, but was able to snap these during totality. I think the object to the left of the eclipse is Regulus?

09-02-2017, 03:42 PM   #90
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jmanhughes Quote
Didn't have much of a zoom (only 200mm) or a solar filter, but was able to snap these during totality. I think the object to the left of the eclipse is Regulus?

Yes, it is Regulus. Congratulations!