Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2017, 03:52 PM - 2 Likes   #91

My shot of the lead-up and totality at Mt Borah in Idaho using my K-1 and Irix 15mm.
It was "explored", so it got a lot more views than most of my other uploads on Flickr.

I also had my old K-50 and DA 55-300 set up on a small travel tripod.
Got a decent look at the corona and prominences, but the focus is not quite as sharp as I'd have liked.

Still, an amazing experience to see in person, not just through a viewfinder.

09-02-2017, 06:31 PM - 1 Like   #92
Veteran Member

K-3
DA 50-135mm for the partial phases. No changes other than layering in photoshop.
DA 300mm for the totality phase then composited and scaled in.

Solar Eclipse Interval Composite. Shot on a tripod with a 135mm and 1 minute intervals. I had to composite my 300mm shot into my 135mm shot that I shot at 1 min intervals since I forgot to take off the filter on the two shots in totality. By the time I realized I needed to take off the filter in the 1 1/2 mins of totality.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
09-03-2017, 06:56 PM - 2 Likes   #93
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
A Picture of a Thing is not the Thing

The single most moving natural experience of my 60 years on this planet. I used my K-3 and a 55-300mm lens. Nisi 10 and 6 stop filter for the partial phase and just the pentax for the grand finale.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
09-03-2017, 09:21 PM - 5 Likes   #94
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jlev Quote

My shot of the lead-up and totality at Mt Borah in Idaho using my K-1 and Irix 15mm.
It was "explored", so it got a lot more views than most of my other uploads on Flickr.

I also had my old K-50 and DA 55-300 set up on a small travel tripod.
Got a decent look at the corona and prominences, but the focus is not quite as sharp as I'd have liked.

Still, an amazing experience to see in person, not just through a viewfinder.

Jlev! I was nearly directly in line between you and Mt Borah. We had the same idea. I wanted to get a nice wide shot of the eclipsed sun over the peak. I haven't worked with the my wide angle yet images yet, but I know just from preliminary looks they didn't turn out as cool as yours. My composite is ok, but others are much more capable with processing (and you can tell that I didn't clean my sensor). Even so, I'm glad to have made the attempt and to have something that is mine.

...and Diamond Ring (I was a little late, so it's a huge diamond) with wicked lens flare.

Last edited by ill repUTE; 09-03-2017 at 10:29 PM. Reason: add additional image.
09-07-2017, 06:55 PM   #95
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ill repUTE Quote
Jlev! I was nearly directly in line between you and Mt Borah. We had the same idea. I wanted to get a nice wide shot of the eclipsed sun over the peak. I haven't worked with the my wide angle yet images yet, but I know just from preliminary looks they didn't turn out as cool as yours. My composite is ok, but others are much more capable with processing (and you can tell that I didn't clean my sensor). Even so, I'm glad to have made the attempt and to have something that is mine.

...and Diamond Ring (I was a little late, so it's a huge diamond) with wicked lens flare.
Love your composite, ill repUTE! How did you put it together?
09-08-2017, 09:45 PM   #96
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you bjdavey, that is very kind. I'd love to be able to give you a good answer. I'll do my best, but I'm afraid this will come out as just confused rambling.

I'm an absolute neophyte at all of this and not knowing what I'm doing, a lot of it was random slider tweaking while trying to follow instructions on Jerry L's site. I didn't document the steps that produced this or any of the other half dozen versions while I was screwing around and so I'm not entirely sure, but I can give you the basics. I followed the crop, radial blur, subtract, multiply method Jerry describes here on his site which he credits to a gentleman named Pellett.

For each image in my sequence, I created a crop, blur, subtract and multiply copy. Where I think I deviated from the basic method with this version is to do a second multiply blend of each of the first 'multiply' copy of the images, but this second time, I applied a composite of all of the subtract images to each of the original multiply images to create a second stronger 'multiply' version of each image of the sequence. I saved each result as a new image file and then with those created the composite using HDR Pro in PS (cc version). The random slider tweaking I mentioned was on the composite of the subtract images as well as on the final blended image.

I think ultimately what I did in applying the multiply blend twice is pretty similar to an occasion while processing any general image and applying some kind of filter or adjustment, liking the result enough to think 'hey, pretty cool, I'll do it again' and then applying the same filter/adjustment a second time.

Dust spots not withstanding, I'm reasonably pleased with the original data I got and think there's a better image in there for someone who knows what they are doing (which I hope is future, more experienced me).

I hope that made some sense. If not, and you'd like a better description, PM me and I'll send you direct contact info so we can chat about it.

Thanks,

Jim
09-09-2017, 02:28 PM   #97
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ill repUTE Quote
Thank you bjdavey, that is very kind. I'd love to be able to give you a good answer. I'll do my best, but I'm afraid this will come out as just confused rambling.

I'm an absolute neophyte at all of this and not knowing what I'm doing, a lot of it was random slider tweaking while trying to follow instructions on Jerry L's site. I didn't document the steps that produced this or any of the other half dozen versions while I was screwing around and so I'm not entirely sure, but I can give you the basics. I followed the crop, radial blur, subtract, multiply method Jerry describes here on his site which he credits to a gentleman named Pellett.

For each image in my sequence, I created a crop, blur, subtract and multiply copy. Where I think I deviated from the basic method with this version is to do a second multiply blend of each of the first 'multiply' copy of the images, but this second time, I applied a composite of all of the subtract images to each of the original multiply images to create a second stronger 'multiply' version of each image of the sequence. I saved each result as a new image file and then with those created the composite using HDR Pro in PS (cc version). The random slider tweaking I mentioned was on the composite of the subtract images as well as on the final blended image.

I think ultimately what I did in applying the multiply blend twice is pretty similar to an occasion while processing any general image and applying some kind of filter or adjustment, liking the result enough to think 'hey, pretty cool, I'll do it again' and then applying the same filter/adjustment a second time.

Dust spots not withstanding, I'm reasonably pleased with the original data I got and think there's a better image in there for someone who knows what they are doing (which I hope is future, more experienced me).

I hope that made some sense. If not, and you'd like a better description, PM me and I'll send you direct contact info so we can chat about it.

Thanks,

Jim
Thank you, Jim - I really appreciate your detailed description, and the link to Jerry L's site, which has a lot of useful info. I'm also a complete neophyte at this, but I got some reasonable individual pics during the eclipse, and now I'm on a quest to put them together in a way that does at least some justice to the splendor of the moment. If I can get even close to what you achieved, I'll be very happy!

09-14-2017, 04:20 PM - 2 Likes   #98
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know the challenge is closed but thought I'd add my efforts to this thread your everyone to enjoy.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
09-14-2017, 04:50 PM   #99
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Eric Seavey Quote
I know the challenge is closed but thought I'd add my efforts to this thread your everyone to enjoy.
Beautifully done.