Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2017, 12:43 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Challenge #234 - Standin' on the Corner

Thank you BruceBanner for hosting Challenge #233. For Challenge #234 we will be "standin' on a corner in Winslow Arizona".

For those who may not be familiar with the reference, it is from a few lines in the song "Take It Easy" by the Eagles.

"Well, I'm a standing on a corner
In Winslow, Arizona
And such a fine sight to see
It's a girl, my Lord, in a flatbed
Ford slowin' down to take a look at me"

I will be travelling from the end of this week to the beginning of the next, so I will have to run this a little longer than the customary week and close it on the evening of Tuesday September 19th.

Let the fun begin!

Camera: K3 Lens: DA* 16-50mm

JPG Preview:

DNG Link

A note to the winner: Please copy and post this info into the next challenge.

The mediafire website is: mediafire.com
The login name is: ppchallenge@tmphillips.com
The password is: postprocessing

09-10-2017, 03:21 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll start. A quick edit with Topaz B&W plugin;
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
09-11-2017, 01:48 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
I'll go with this 66 oriented version:

09-11-2017, 08:29 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Bit over the top but fun to do.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
09-11-2017, 10:56 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't recall the emblem on road when I was there in 2009. (Google images show it is from 2010). I never push things this far, but it's 66.
Name:  PP Challenge #234_cr.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  303.7 KB

Last edited by SpecialK; 09-12-2017 at 03:30 PM.
09-12-2017, 02:18 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

execution was rushed and sloppy but hopefully gets the idea of what i was after across
09-12-2017, 02:39 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I usually don't participate in these because I don't like the type of PP that it would take to be noticed in such contests... which is usually a bit over the top for me. But I thought the picture was interesting, and I immediately saw the right crop in my mind, so I thought, why not Considering two things: 1) I don't like the "wide angle" effect, and while I respect those who do, it's not my cup of tea, and 2) I love panoramas; the right type of PP was immediately obvious to me So yeah I had to cut off the 66, but if you want to make an omelet, sometimes you gotta smash some eggs
It's interesting to see everybody else's take on it.

Here's mine.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
09-12-2017, 05:16 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I usually don't participate in these because I don't like the type of PP that it would take to be noticed in such contests... which is usually a bit over the top for me. But I thought the picture was interesting, and I immediately saw the right crop in my mind, so I thought, why not Considering two things: 1) I don't like the "wide angle" effect, and while I respect those who do, it's not my cup of tea, and 2) I love panoramas; the right type of PP was immediately obvious to me So yeah I had to cut off the 66, but if you want to make an omelet, sometimes you gotta smash some eggs
It's interesting to see everybody else's take on it.

Here's mine.
I'll see your crop and raise you mine!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
09-13-2017, 02:05 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Well played, BruceBanner

Ok, here's a different crop.

Edit: only in this crop, did I notice the photographer in the picture...
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by ChristianRock; 09-13-2017 at 02:29 PM.
09-13-2017, 02:13 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Added some flare, removed left lamp.
09-14-2017, 06:47 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
Added some flare
The flare was a nice touch.
09-14-2017, 07:33 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you.
09-19-2017, 05:24 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It is time to bring #234 to a close.

Thank you to everyone who contributed. Hopefully everyone found this a fun image to work with. It is a very popular location and there were many cars driving past and people walking along the sidewalk and stopping for photos. It took some time for the opportunity of this amount of isolation to present itself, although there are still a few people and the Dodge Challenger present. Additionally there was a large dust spot on the upper portion of the photo. I am glad that a few of you dealt with it either through cloning or cropping. Somehow I captured the image a little lower than I would have liked, resulting in the street light being nearly out of frame at the top and making it difficult to correct the wide angle appearance if so desired, but alas - it is what it is.

I enjoy these challenges, but always find it difficult to select a host as frequently one entry isn't necessarily "better" than another, just different.

Let's get to it:

BruceBanner - You had two entries. Both are good. The first is a very natural, realistic look and you dealt with the dust spot very well. The second is a nostalgic emphasis on the Route 66 connection. This second one received the most likes of the entries. Between the two I really like the first, however as you were the last host, you may not appreciate the responsibility of hosting being handed back to you.

jcomley - A very bold entry (nothing wrong with that). I like it overall, I just wish you would have addressed the dust spot.

iheiramo - A tighter crop with the Route 66 emblem prominent and all the elements of the song preserved. i.e., Winslow Arizona and the flatbed Ford.

slowpez - Another bold entry. I like it, but wish you had addressed the dust spot.

SpecialK - Another tighter crop, emphasizing the elements. A softer processing. Like a few others, the dust spot is still evident.

todd - The only B&W entry, which of course means you had the best B&W entry!

ChristianRock - You had two entries. For the first, you choice a crop creating a panorama effect (which was your intent). For the second, I like that you cropped out the Challenger and most of the adjacent vacant lot. Again, wish the dust spot was dealt with, but otherwise nice.

noelcmn - Well done removing the dust spot and the lamp on the left which was partially cutoff in the photo. Nice addition of the light star.

A difficult choice, but I am going to select iheiramo to host #235.

For anyone interested, here was what I came up with for the image:

09-19-2017, 06:52 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Glenn5995 Quote
It is time to bring #234 to a close...

... BruceBanner - You had two entries. Both are good. The first is a very natural, realistic look and you dealt with the dust spot very well. The second is a nostalgic emphasis on the Route 66 connection. This second one received the most likes of the entries. Between the two I really like the first, however as you were the last host, you may not appreciate the responsibility of hosting being handed back to you...
I'm sure the likes was in part to the tongue in cheek reply to ChristianRock's crop

Thanks for a challenging pic, as far as I'm concerned the more challenging the better, it pushes the PP harder and from my experience gets me out of my editing comfort zone and into new areas of learning curve.

PS: I take it that the winner at any time can choose to pass on the challenge to someone of their nomination, as you say perhaps they hosted previously or maybe they have no time due to preparation for important work or holiday events?

Once again thanks for the challenge and congrats to iheiramo, I look forward to what you have in store for us!
09-19-2017, 08:02 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
I'm sure the likes was in part to the tongue in cheek reply to ChristianRock's crop
Quite likely!