Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 145 Likes Search this Thread
10-05-2017, 01:41 PM - 1 Like   #46

I've been sick for a few days, so I missed yesterday and still may miss more, but I'm trying.

Also, it looks like this month is going to be square month for me.

10-05-2017, 01:42 PM - 1 Like   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
Inspected yesterdays focusing problems today. Tested m35 and m50 on both of my cameras. Apparently CIF in K5 is not as accurate as it is in K30. I've already earlier noticed that it's less sensitive in low light, but didn't expect accuracy issues as k30 is always accurate when CIF is able to lock on target and all miss focused shot are due to me pointing in wrong spot. Good to know. I will relay less on CIF in future with k5 and try to do sports and portraits with k30.
I had issues with CIF with my K-S2 - it was the one aspect of the camera that I avoided because it felt unreliable to me. I'll have to experiment with my K-3 to see if it's any better there.
10-05-2017, 03:39 PM - 3 Likes   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Theta S I purchased from Sara arrived today, now I need to figure out how to use it properly. I'm very excited!

The CIF works well on my K-5, but not if I am moving too quickly. I do ind it useful for the times when I am more patient.
10-05-2017, 05:40 PM - 1 Like   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
The Theta S I purchased from Sara arrived today, now I need to figure out how to use it properly. I'm very excited!
Alright!!

Primary checklist:
  • Desktop app (for viewing, uploading to Theta360.com, and upgrading firmware).
  • Theta S smartphone app (for making exposures).
  • Theta+ smartphone app for (for editing).

Pro tips:
  • Always expose for shadows.
  • Pay loving attention to EV compensation.
  • HDR mode is your friend.
  • Files sent to your phone are not full size - plug the Theta into your computer with a USB to get full resolution images. (Email them to your phone or download them from Flickr if you want to edit the full res images in the Theta+ app.)
  • Using a tripod is great, but I recommend one with short legs and a long neck, to minimize the footprint the Theta captures below itself.
  • Don't be ashamed to use a selfie stick to get a better angle on shots you're in (and to fend off the funny hand distortion).

I can't wait to see what you can do!

10-05-2017, 05:51 PM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
I can't wait to see what you can do!
Thanks!
10-08-2017, 08:44 PM - 1 Like   #51
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi team.

Would there be any objection if I made a clean break and switched to the FA77 for the rest of the month? Although there's very little *wrong* with the output from my FA*85, the more I use it, the more I'm asking myself whether I would be getting better results with its little sister.

I'm interested to see whether I can objectively justify my emotional impression, and I'm not sure if my enthusiasm stretches to doing a side-by-side comparison. If, however, there are any serious objections from the powers that be, I'll plug on as is
10-08-2017, 10:37 PM - 1 Like   #52
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I don't see a problem Sandy. if IIRC, I switched lenses about a month ago when the Pentax FA 100-300mm proved to be not worthy of using.

10-09-2017, 05:00 AM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Hi team.

Would there be any objection if I made a clean break and switched to the FA77 for the rest of the month? Although there's very little *wrong* with the output from my FA*85, the more I use it, the more I'm asking myself whether I would be getting better results with its little sister.

I'm interested to see whether I can objectively justify my emotional impression, and I'm not sure if my enthusiasm stretches to doing a side-by-side comparison. If, however, there are any serious objections from the powers that be, I'll plug on as is
Philosophically, metaphorically, since you're asking, I'm going to poop on that party as not being truly in the spirit of Single In. You can't just change lenses all nimbly bimbly!? Why sign up with one if you're just going to allow yourself to switch on a whim? If you want to treat the 77, there's always November. :-)

You say you think you would be getting "better results" with the FA77... but that's not really the point of Single In, right? To get "better results"? I thought it was about learning the capabilities of and how to best use the chosen lens? I'm truly open to arguments.

All that being said, I have attempted to play, and then dropped out of Single In more than a few times when I just couldn't keep up with the challenge and no one ever berated me for coming back the next month (although I'm going to justify myself by saying that's not exactly the same thing as switching lenses mid-stream).

Ultimately, this is just a game with strangers on the Internet and you can do whatever is most fun...

And don't forget about DAILY IN, y'all: Daily in October 2017 - discussion thread - PentaxForums.com
10-09-2017, 05:33 AM   #54
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi team.

hmm.... at first, my thoughts were: it's the internet, what are we going to do... say 'no'?

then, the chick from Kansas jumps in his face...

QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
Philosophically, metaphorically, since you're asking, I'm going to poop on that party as not being truly in the spirit of Single In. You can't just change lenses all nimbly bimbly!? Why sign up with one if you're just going to allow yourself to switch on a whim? If you want to treat the 77, there's always November. :-)

You say you think you would be getting "better results" with the FA77... but that's not really the point of Single In, right? To get "better results"? I thought it was about learning the capabilities of and how to best use the chosen lens? I'm truly open to arguments.

All that being said, I have attempted to play, and then dropped out of Single In more than a few times when I just couldn't keep up with the challenge and no one ever berated me for coming back the next month (although I'm going to justify myself by saying that's not exactly the same thing as switching lenses mid-stream).

Ultimately, this is just a game with strangers on the Internet and you can do whatever is most fun...

And don't forget about DAILY IN, y'all: Daily in October 2017 - discussion thread - PentaxForums.com

yowza...

yes, Sandy, you can do whatever you want and we are powerless to stop you.... but that's pretty much the way it goes - who of us is going to jump on an airliner, make the hop to Australia (some of us are closer, etc), confront you in person, grab you by the dangly FA*85 and say, "NO!"?
10-09-2017, 08:45 AM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi team.
In the past year, I've had to change lenses mid-stream (because I destroyed my Super-Takumar 50/1.4 while trying to fix infinity focus), and I've also soldiered on with a damaged lens (when I dropped my camera off the side of my truck at 25 mph). I've also REALLY wanted to change because the lens wasn't good (I'm looking at you, Pentax-F 35-105), and didn't ... and I kinda wish I had.

If a person were doing mid-month switches regularly, I'd have an issue with that. As Sara says, the rules are there to make it challenging. But that's not you ... so I'm not bothered by this.

It's your call, IMO. I'll enjoy your photos either way.
10-09-2017, 09:21 AM - 1 Like   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
hmm.... at first, my thoughts were: it's the internet, what are we going to do... say 'no'?

then, the chick from Kansas jumps in his face...

yowza...

yes, Sandy, you can do whatever you want and we are powerless to stop you.... but that's pretty much the way it goes - who of us is going to jump on an airliner, make the hop to Australia (some of us are closer, etc), confront you in person, grab you by the dangly FA*85 and say, "NO!"?
Hilarious! I had a feeling that this would be a fun group.
10-09-2017, 09:35 AM   #57
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

deep down, we are... sometimes, there is just too much straight-laced BS in the forums...
10-09-2017, 11:20 AM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think it's fine to switch if you want to, Sandy. The most important thing is to have fun and if the FA 85 is too long to have fun, well...

Somehow it reminds me of those "Good bye Pentax, I'm going to buy a 6D and conquer the world" threads.
10-09-2017, 12:50 PM   #59

Go ahead. If you don't think your 85 is good enough, I can always get it off your hands. ;-)
10-09-2017, 01:15 PM   #60
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nono Quote
Go ahead. If you don't think your 85 is good enough, I can always get it off your hands. ;-)
take one for the team, eh?