Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2017, 10:39 AM   #16
The one and only
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Glenn5995 Quote
Congratulations BruceBanner! Thank you iheiramo for hosting back to back and for the "challenging" challenge. I actually gave up and then re-grouped and attacked it again before I was able to come up with a semi-acceptable stitched image!
I did also try to stitch them several times with different methods and also tried to align and cut shots to help them to stitch together. I also stitched them in different sized groups and finally after several hours gave up and decided that this was as good as I was gonna be able to make:

10-05-2017, 03:50 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

:O

Wow... U'm thanks for choosing me as winner and host of the next challenge, but I think I'm going to have to pass up on this one, for a couple of reasons;

1) The challenge was really about kinda doing the stitch well, and although I had fun making a jumbled messed up version I think it still kinda went against the root of the challenge, because it was actually a tricky stitch to get right (I know! I had a try at it!). My jumbled version was 'ok', but what I was really trying to go for (and failed and didn't have time to dedicate more research to getting right) was to have a significant proportion of the pic stitched well and proper and the rest (say 40%) jumbled up. This to give the illusion of one of those tile games where you have to slide the right pieces around till you get them all aligned and proper. I think this would have made a cool interpretation of the challenge, but I didn't get around to that and instead 'copped out' with just a complete easy randomized shot.

2) I'm kinda busy currently, and have hosted a couple recently, I am really keen to see some new (or returning old?) blood take host of the challenge and see what they come up with, so if it's ok with the hoster and everyone else here I'd like to suggest the host of the next challenge be astonm. Glenn always comes through with the goods, but I really liked astonm's version with the minimalistic background approach to make the coffee machine really punch out (in a soft way).

How does that sound everyone?

Cheers,

Bruce
10-05-2017, 05:28 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am good with it.
10-05-2017, 08:08 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
thanks for the nod! - this was a great challenge to brush off some old skills.

.... yeah.... I'm assuming we all had the same "stitching woes" with this one.... PS, LR, then ended up using MS ICE with layers... had to hand bring in the layers for a bunch of corrections.... any thoughts guys? ICE usually does the trick. I seem to remember stitching in something else years ago, where you could individually adjust the "panels" (perspective & all) before mashing them together ( elements? gimp? ) oh well - at any rate it was worth the experience!

looking forward to the next one!

---------- Post added 10-05-17 at 08:10 PM ----------

OH ! I missed those last two posts! ... that mean "I'm it" ???

10-05-2017, 10:20 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by astonm Quote

.... yeah.... I'm assuming we all had the same "stitching woes" with this one.... PS, LR, then ended up using MS ICE with layers... had to hand bring in the layers for a bunch of corrections.... any thoughts guys? ICE usually does the trick. I seem to remember stitching in something else years ago, where you could individually adjust the "panels" (perspective & all) before mashing them together ( elements? gimp? ) oh well - at any rate it was worth the experience!

Yeh I found ICE struggle this time round.

I would be interested to know of software that could do as you say adjust individual panels etc. I have no idea however if elements or gimp does this.

And yes, that would be my wish, for you to host next, that is if you and the original hoster are ok with it.
10-05-2017, 10:41 PM - 1 Like   #21
The one and only
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
:O

Wow... U'm thanks for choosing me as winner and host of the next challenge, but I think I'm going to have to pass up on this one, for a couple of reasons;

1) The challenge was really about kinda doing the stitch well, and although I had fun making a jumbled messed up version I think it still kinda went against the root of the challenge, because it was actually a tricky stitch to get right (I know! I had a try at it!). My jumbled version was 'ok', but what I was really trying to go for (and failed and didn't have time to dedicate more research to getting right) was to have a significant proportion of the pic stitched well and proper and the rest (say 40%) jumbled up. This to give the illusion of one of those tile games where you have to slide the right pieces around till you get them all aligned and proper. I think this would have made a cool interpretation of the challenge, but I didn't get around to that and instead 'copped out' with just a complete easy randomized shot.

2) I'm kinda busy currently, and have hosted a couple recently, I am really keen to see some new (or returning old?) blood take host of the challenge and see what they come up with, so if it's ok with the hoster and everyone else here I'd like to suggest the host of the next challenge be astonm. Glenn always comes through with the goods, but I really liked astonm's version with the minimalistic background approach to make the coffee machine really punch out (in a soft way).

How does that sound everyone?

Cheers,

Bruce
1) Well, the competition was about getting the best out of the mess I had gotten myself into. I tried to underline in description that even works based on single image would have been welcome. To me, after 10 years of good coffee out of machine, your work a lot to look at. The basic scene has become quite familiar during these years, so the puzzle was something to stop by and mentally put it together. Technically it was the easy way out, but artistically, for me, gave most to look at.

2) Fine by me. I also liked the background on astonm's work.
10-05-2017, 10:47 PM   #22
The one and only
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by astonm Quote

I also used MS ICE for stitching. I have noticed that more detail mean better stitch. In this some of the shots were really plane, like lower left corner, and there simply were not enough detail for algorithm.

I would be happy, if you could hold the next round.
10-06-2017, 04:20 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I also have been using MS ICE with good results for several years, but this was just too much for it. I tried several different methods, but could not get a good result. I next tried Photoshop, but still had poor results. Being a stubborn sort, I tried for several hours to make it work, but having nothing but frustration to show for the time, I finally conceded and brought out the big guns....Hugin. Hugin stitched it the first time, although it took several minutes with the fan on my PC running as fast as I have ever heard it. It did give a little aspect distortion, which todd noticed, but I was able to quickly fix that. I should have just started with Hugin, but have found ICE to be easier to use and out of habit, started with it. This challenge has shown me that Hugin is superior.

Like ICE, Hugin is a free download.

I am looking forward to the next round.

10-06-2017, 04:28 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Glenn5995 Quote
I also have been using MS ICE with good results for several years, but this was just too much for it. I tried several different methods, but could not get a good result. I next tried Photoshop, but still had poor results. Being a stubborn sort, I tried for several hours to make it work, but having nothing but frustration to show for the time, I finally conceded and brought out the big guns....Hugin. Hugin stitched it the first time, although it took several minutes with the fan on my PC running as fast as I have ever heard it. It did give a little aspect distortion, which todd noticed, but I was able to quickly fix that. I should have just started with Hugin, but have found ICE to be easier to use and out of habit, started with it. This challenge has shown me that Hugin is superior.

Like ICE, Hugin is a free download.

I am looking forward to the next round.
Cool! funny, i have Hugin downloaded and used a couple of times, never thought to use it lol, might give it a whirl actually on this set of images, see how well it does!
10-08-2017, 11:56 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
PP#237 Ready for you !

Thanks again, everyone. Found something from this summer that might be fun

Got #237 ready to go...
PP Challenge #237 "Rubber Duckie" - PentaxForums.com