Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
09-28-2017, 12:04 AM   #1
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Challenge #236 - Stitch & Crop

As jcomley, the winner of the previous round, was too busy to hold the challenge and todd, who would have been my second pick, asked me to hold an other round, I will be hosting PP Challenge #236 - Stitch & Crop.

Previous round was about maximum dynamic range. This time I would like offer you totally different challenge. I took 15 shots to build a Brenizer method shot to the Single In Challenge. Unfortunately, I didn't get them all together in satisfactory manner. The best I managed to pull out was a composition of 6 shots. I'm really interested to see what you can pull out of this puzzle. Any number of shots can be used. Stitch them all or just some of them or take a crop from just a single image. What ever you think is the most interesting composition out of this mess. Naturally also the color edits are part of the challenge even if in that respect the starting point is not as challenging as usually.

There is 3 shots per row and 5 rows in total. The shots go serpentine from top left corner to bottom right. To help you to hunt down the right shots I have them numbered and added row identification for the first shot of each row. As said, I didn't get them all together nicely, but I managed to stitch all shots nicely to at least one of it's neighbors. Most challenging piece was #13 the left shot of 5th row, but even that I managed to attach to #12 above it, if #14 was not disturbing. Here is what I had in mind, when I took the shot:

The shot is slightly cropped from all sides and as you can see there are clearly some mistakes from the stitch.

I keep the Challenge #236 open for a week. It will be closed on Thursday 05.10.2017 at 07:00am GMT

Link to folder containing all the shots in DNG

A note to the winner: Please copy and post this info into the next challenge.

The mediafire website is: mediafire.com
The login name is: ppchallenge@tmphillips.com
The password is: postprocessing

09-28-2017, 02:27 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting, I am totally going to deliberately jumble these pics... you know... for arty effect lmao.
09-28-2017, 11:10 PM   #3
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Interesting, I am totally going to deliberately jumble these pics... you know... for arty effect lmao.
Now that you mention it some surrealist participants spicy up the challenge nicely
09-29-2017, 01:46 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

EDIT: Now that I have Humpty Dumpty back together again (something which all the king's horses and all the king's men could not accomplish), I may as well have some fun with it!

Last edited by Glenn5995; 09-30-2017 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Added additional entries.
09-29-2017, 03:19 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very nice work putting Humpty together! Interesting oval design to that gauge!
09-29-2017, 03:39 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
Very nice work putting Humpty together! Interesting oval design to that gauge!
Consessions, sacrifices and adjustments were necessary to make all the pieces of Humpty Dumpty fit together again.

EDIT: I was afraid to do anymore with the image for fear it would fall to pieces, quite possibly taking out my comptuer, home and local power grid...however, to keep todd happy, I worked on it a little more and replaced my entry with an image with a gauge which hopefully todd finds more acceptable.

Last edited by Glenn5995; 09-29-2017 at 06:44 PM.
09-29-2017, 07:26 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My first jumble, I intend to do another

Attached Images

09-29-2017, 09:52 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Glenn5995 Quote
more acceptable.
I was perfectly happy with the first rendition, especially considering how I felt that I had come up with a fitting name, Humpty being a personified ovular egg and all... The only thing I can think of now is Cyclops but Humpty is still the better option than that... Thank you for doing an impeccable job with this. I had started working on the stitch fix puzzle last night so I have some idea of what you put into it. Now I don't have to continue that effort and can just try to come up with something crazy. Although Bruce is already hogging the jumble idea, so I don't know...
09-29-2017, 09:59 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
I was perfectly happy with the first rendition, especially considering how I felt that I had come up with a fitting name, Humpty being a personified ovular egg and all... The only thing I can think of now is Cyclops but Humpty is still the better option than that... Thank you for doing an impeccable job with this. I had started working on the stitch fix puzzle last night so I have some idea of what you put into it. Now I don't have to continue that effort and can just try to come up with something crazy. Although Bruce is already hogging the jumble idea, so I don't know...
Please Todd, jump on the jumble idea
09-29-2017, 10:11 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I do feel an idea starting to percolate, pardon the pun ☺️
09-29-2017, 11:59 PM   #11
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Great effort from Glenn5995 and BruceBanner. Really impressive start for the challenge, but as I really want more entries, I wan to highlight that it's not necessary to use all shots provided. It's perfectly acceptable to concentrate to a smaller part of the shot. Even a crop out of one shot, if you feel it as a best solution. You can also play with any PP edits available
10-01-2017, 04:42 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

Dang it... I REALLY need a cup of coffee now... (compression is really doing a number on the red... UGH. )

Last edited by astonm; 04-15-2018 at 05:21 PM.
10-05-2017, 02:08 AM   #13
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Looks like this was more challenge than I thought or just uninteresting as there were so few participants. I thought this could have offered several approaches as it was not necessary to use all shots. Need to look for something else next time I'm hosting.

Great work from you all. Everybody took the hard road and used all shots. I'll start from last submission to get others out of the way before addressing works from Glenn5995.

Astonm - Great work putting it all together. You have managed to hide the stitching error quite well. Would be hard to notice, if one didn't know where to look from. Very nice colors and I like especially what you have done for table and background. Well balanced shot and the frame adds the final touch.

BruceBanner - Something I didn't think about. Great idea and execution. Very natural colors.

Glenn5995 - I go thru your shots from top to handle the base work first. Your first is pretty much what I wanted to accomplish, but could not pull thru. Great work putting it together and you have nicely hidden the remaining stitching errors. Very well done.
- Flare version. I like the flare, but the starburst is taking bit too large role in the shot for my taste. Anyway, this was fun and playful approach to challenge and good add to competition.
- Watercolor version. I like that it's mostly B&W except red and little blue on the cup. Conversion hides stitching errors effectively. In right format this would be really nice. Maybe printed on a rough paper like napkin or something like that.
- B&W version. Background works really nice, but I miss the red in the machine. Leaving it out of the conversion would probably have made this really pop out.

Thank you all. Even there is not many participants it's hard to pick the winner. I could easily justify any of you to be the winner, but like last time, I think i go for the unthinkable and choose BruceBanner and the Jumble as a winner and next host.
10-05-2017, 07:54 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

congrats Bruce. thanks for double hosting, iheiramo. sorry I didn't get an entry finished I've just been busy. I had the makings of one too argh.
10-05-2017, 10:17 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations BruceBanner! Thank you iheiramo for hosting back to back and for the "challenging" challenge. I actually gave up and then re-grouped and attacked it again before I was able to come up with a semi-acceptable stitched image!