Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2017, 11:53 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
PP Challenge #237 "Rubber Duckie"

"Rubber Duckie, you're the one..... "

Thanks guys for picking me on the last round I've been out of town quite a bit during the summer, and haven't had much chance to get out, but this June I was able to pop down to the waterfront in Tacoma when we had a visit from "The world's largest rubber duckie" Hand-held, low light, but hey.... IT'S A GIANT DUCK!

Have fun with this one! lets see what you can pull out of it! No particular rules, multiple entries just fine.

JPG file pp237.jpg
DNG file pp237.DNG

Let's go a week.... so Sunday Oct 15th midnight Seattle.

A note to the winner: Please copy and post this info into the next challenge.

The mediafire website is: mediafire.com
The login name is: ppchallenge@tmphillips.com
The password is: postprocessing

Attached Images

10-08-2017, 10:48 PM - 1 Like   #2
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Square crop and some tones to create a warmer feel

EDIT: Decided I didn't actually like my work so whittled it back to the least offensive one.

Last edited by Tas; 10-09-2017 at 01:50 PM.
10-09-2017, 02:57 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
I guess this Idea was kind of obvious

EDIT: Just in case. I'm out of computer for awhile and therefore don't read forum around the time this challenge closes. So, this time winning would be very inconvenient. I want to participate in challenge anyway. Just can't win

Last edited by iheiramo; 10-13-2017 at 02:44 PM.
10-09-2017, 11:17 PM - 2 Likes   #4

warmer tones, removed some stuff floating on the water and the stone on the right.

Attached Images

10-10-2017, 12:38 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sorry burned out and gave up on it, but posting the attempt anyway
10-10-2017, 12:53 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Going for a traditional sunset PP.
10-11-2017, 12:03 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

10-14-2017, 07:12 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A last minute entry here!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
10-16-2017, 02:54 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
and the winner is.....

Thank you all for taking a crack at the giant duck - it's definitely not something you see every day. So lets get to it:

Tas: Highlighting the duck - as it should be. One of my favorite parts of this scene was the "glowy" reflections of the lights on the water, glad your crop left some of that in. Admittedly, the scene is a little muddled/ busy by the boats & bridges. Nice go at trying to "isolate" the duck.

iheiramo: another version of how to highlight the duck in that busy scene. The internet will try to tell you "color pop" is so outdated... but in this case, it just works. Good balance of intersting clouds left in your crop - in what could have been an otherwise boring sky.

elvbel: now THAT brings ALL the attention to the duck! No question ! Glad you had a little fun with it, and the color tones are very respectful to the twighlight time. Fun! Nice!

todd: Yasssss ! Duck-zilla! I was hoping someome would step up and do something a bit on the wacky side ! Most excellent concept! (You said you got burned out, I'm scheming how to finish it up in my head right now) a giant, loud, deep QUUUAAAcK to you sir!

noelcmn: glad to see you here ! (been awhile since i've played scavenger hunt and ABC!) Very, very nice work on the sunset feel. Good job of keeping the duck in the picture, without losing it in the warmer sunset tones. It could have easily been "lost" in there.

savoche: do I spy another NIK user? (NIK is awsome BTW!) That looks a lot like the "midnight" settings? I like the way you isolated the duck without making it's bright color wonky, and made great work of the sky (it was actually very pink, just like you've got it.) There might just a tad too much black for my tastes in the rest... a little more cropping to balance the tones may have made a big difference. Very nice "duck pop"

BruceBanner: Glad you could make the last minute entry. I really like what you've done with this one. It has a well-thought-out combination of "subject isolation" that some of the other entries had.... the restrained desaturation (as opposed to full "selective color) and the nicely done vignetting (instead of a full-on dark/light) really keep the focus on the duck, while at the same time still giving the scene it's soft evening twighlight feel.

I know this pic had a lot of issues - cluttered surrondings, almost impossible to crop without leaving out some nice elements, not the best light et c. .... but hey - that's the challenge part, eh? I hope everyone had fun with it.

I'm going to go ahead and name BruceBanner as our winner this round. Nice overall balance to your version.
I'm giving the runner up as todd... because... DUCK-ZILLA !

Looking forward to the next one
10-16-2017, 11:43 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats to BruceBanner and todd!

QuoteOriginally posted by astonm Quote
do I spy another NIK user?
Indeed you do! Previously I have mainly used the Silver Efex module, but this last month or so I have started experimenting with Color Efex as well. Doing my best to overdo it and stack lots of filters When I know where the limits go I can dial back and make proper use of the tools.

Thanks for hosting and for providing a challenging image to work on!
10-17-2017, 12:26 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh! wow.... ok lol, thanks so much for nominating me!
I'll get a challenge sorted for this Thursday (my day off) =)
10-17-2017, 12:40 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats Bruce. I like what you've done. Great challenge, and amazing to see what everyone has done with that image. The digital world is rocking! Thanks Astonm.
10-19-2017, 12:01 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My apologies, didn't actually have the day off yesterday after all, I shall have more time later today to organise something, and I do love a good Friday>Friday run
10-20-2017, 03:08 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Next comp is up! Head this way folks >>>>> PP Challenge #238 Arty Portrait. - PentaxForums.com