Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2017, 03:07 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PP Challenge #238 Arty Portrait.

Thanks to astonm for the Rubber Ducky comp last time round!

Something different this time round I think. I have a heap of landscape ones but I'm sure you're all sick of them Blue Mountains Waterfall stuff, and it seems like it's been awhile since we've edited a portrait.

Ladies and Gents, let me introduce you to my daughter 'Mini HULK'.

In this moment she is playfully tugging on my arm. I like 'capture in the moment' shots the best, and whilst this isn't particularly a good one there is something about it that suggests it can be improved upon.

The challenge here is to take this picture and give it a dose of creativity, see if you can improve upon what already exists, go wild with heavy edits or subtle, it's totally up to you. Monochrome or colour it's completely up to you.

DNG.
JPG.

I probably won't get round to calling a winner till a week on Sunday, so this time the comp will run a little longer than a week. Feel free to submit more than one entry.

A note to the winner: Please copy and post this info into the next challenge.

The mediafire website is: mediafire.com
The login name is: ppchallenge@tmphillips.com
The password is: postprocessing

Read more at: PP Challenge #237 "Rubber Duckie" - PentaxForums.com

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
10-20-2017, 06:28 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Gave it a shot:

another one as I am trying out some new software. Cyberlink photodirector in this case.

Last edited by D1N0; 10-26-2017 at 03:14 AM.
10-20-2017, 10:50 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

took this for a some dips in g'mic and nik afx but had to stop due to being overloaded by cuteness

10-20-2017, 02:09 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks todd and D1NO for kick starting the thread!

10-22-2017, 05:02 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

ok, yeah, I admit to stealing some copy from the internets. I'll put one up without the text, for those who don't like cheese
(mostly background work as you may have figured out... wish there were a bit more of the hands!)
Attached Images

Last edited by astonm; 04-15-2018 at 05:21 PM.
10-22-2017, 06:40 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jcomley Quote
love the color.
QuoteOriginally posted by astonm Quote
ok, yeah, I admit to stealing some copy from the internets. I'll put one up without the text, for those who don't like cheese
(mostly background work as you may have figured out... wish there were a bit more of the hands!)
Nice job both of you. Yeh I wish I had more of my hand in the shot as well, I need a 35mm, damn you 50mm! Love the text, cheese for a cheesey pic
10-23-2017, 02:02 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

35 is a great focal length on the k-1. My DA 35 works very well on it

10-23-2017, 12:16 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
10-27-2017, 04:52 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

10-30-2017, 03:49 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Apologies for the delay in processing the results, some extra shifts and the spooky festive season upon us got me tied up with more immediate matters.

I'll make this quick;

D1N0, I very much liked your first offering, the added warmth I think did wonders for the shot. The second entry I enjoyed also, tho I personally would have preferred the 'scratchy' effect to be dialed back and made more subtle. Thanks for participating.

todd, interesting that you chose to crop with all your entries, I felt by cropping it minimised the DoF the initial shot had which (I think) adds to the overall shot. The bokeh is not as obvious with the crop but nonetheless I enjoyed the effects and editing path you chose. Version one and two I liked the most, I can't help feeling that the best result would have been an uncropped version 1 with the overlay effect added that existed in version 2. As always I really enjoy seeing your work and appreciate the time spent and choice of edits presented.

jcomley, a powerful edit here but not to my personal likings. I emphasis my, other eyes might see things differently. I feel the vignette is too much, somehow darkens and contrasts too strongly with the subject that portrays a softer message, but as always I really appreciate all entries, there is no right and wrong, no winners and losers especially with the initial given image, it's got nothing really to do with technically being right, it's just apples and oranges. I look forward to seeing your further offerings.

astonm, nice entries. I like the originality of providing a 'cheesy' message, and appreciate the non text version also. I like the 'safe' editing choice, I can't help feel that the nontext version feels a tad odd cropped that way tho, perhaps because the mind expects to see the aforementioned message? Perhaps the second nontext version would appeal slightly better if the subject matter was more central than to the right? Meh... I don't really know. Nice edits tho and thanks for participating.

noelcmn, another crop and another strong contrast, the hair and eyebrows are just a tad too strong and black for my liking however I appreciate the direction taken. Thanks for the entry.

Glenn5995 with the only 'black & white' offering in what appears a sepia styled conversion. Do i detect some high key in there? Really like this offering, as always a solid entry from you.

This weeks winner I'm going to give the nod to todd, specifically his second entry version. Although I think the crop harmed the overall image it does also have the benefits of pushing the girls expression right to the forefront and I think this in combination of the edit (high key, desaturated with a nice subtler 'scratchy aging static' look) really drives the photo well. I was really dithering to also go with D1N0's offerings, on a different night with a different beer in my hand I may easily have decided this version I liked the most, and that I think sums up nicely how work like this is subjective. I only offer my opinion without credentials so always feel free to poopah my words

Congrats todd, look forward to seeing what you've got
10-30-2017, 04:11 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations todd! Thank you BruceBanner for hosting.
10-30-2017, 05:15 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"nod to Todd"-I like the rhyme. Its not odd for Todd to get the nod. Congrats sir Todd! Thanks Bruce. I do suffer from OC HC -Obsessive Compulsive High Contrast.
10-30-2017, 07:20 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Congrats Todd!
10-30-2017, 09:00 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
I felt by cropping it minimised the DoF the initial shot had which (I think) adds to the overall shot. The bokeh is not as obvious with the crop but nonetheless I enjoyed
I get your point. Maybe I should have tried harder to get it going, but just wasn't feeling it with the bokeh here. If there was something more going on with it, light/highlights/color or whatever, it would have influenced my path I'm sure. I just wanted to zoom in on where all the goods were for me in the image. Looking at my entries again the one that should have been kept in the wider format for sure was #4 to really go for that swirly effect.

Ok well Todd thanks you for the nod. I'm sure the awareness of trying to distribute the hosting duty around factored into the nod, and I get that too. Will try to get #239 posted here today.
10-30-2017, 01:43 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PP Challenge #239 - Angelic Oversight