Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 60 Likes Search this Thread
11-11-2017, 05:57 AM   #61
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by utak Quote
We're all having Bad Panda days, but it seems I'm the only one with mistaken identities.

BTW Lisa Noble (YetAnotherLisa) lives in California, and if you take a glance down through her photostream, you'll see a creative photoshop-photographer at work. Perhaps she's Todd's alter ego?

YetAnotherLisa | Flickr

...with a Converse fetish?

11-11-2017, 04:40 PM - 1 Like   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Finally found the pesky firefox addon that was causing the loading loops at flickr, one of the addons I consider most essential, called 'Dark Background and Light Text". I wouldn't survive with white or bright backgrounds/screens on any app or device. My eyes have become so sensitive to that over the years. Surprised I didn't catch it yesterday. Probably a subconscious resistance to disabling this particular addon. Checked for addon updates today and saw that it updated, then the behavior changed at flickr to provide the clue I needed. Fortunately this addon can be controlled on a site by site basis (then I can darken flickr using other addons like stylish or greasemonkey until the develop fixes the problem all the way).
11-12-2017, 01:04 AM - 1 Like   #63
Pentaxian

My K-3 expired last week - the shutter's gone.

It's a big loss, as I'd hoped the camera would last me for at least another year. But its had a full and active life; daily using some exotic old lenses, with well over 3 million views of photos and 73 Explores on Flickr. So hardly a wasted life.

Can't decide on how to replace my buddy (as the K-3 was called by Mrs Utak). I've tried the K-1 and find it rather large/heavy and expensive here in the UK (it's £800 more than the Sony A7ii for example, and even the Pentax KP is the same price as the FF Sony). Yesterday's photo at Oxford Circus was taken after a trip to camera shops to try out the Sony A7ii and Fuji X-T2. Any ideas/comments most welcome.

No replacement soon, so I'm using the K-01, and despite my reservations about the lack of a viewfinder, it's having a double Explore today! It won't be all b&w from the K-01, as the sensor loves colour.

11-12-2017, 02:55 AM - 2 Likes   #64
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

It's a big loss, as I'd hoped the camera would last me for at least another year. But its had a full and active life; daily using some exotic old lenses, with well over 3 million views of photos and 73 Explores on Flickr. So hardly a wasted life.

Can't decide on how to replace my buddy (as the K-3 was called by Mrs Utak). I've tried the K-1 and find it rather large/heavy and expensive here in the UK (it's £800 more than the Sony A7ii for example, and even the Pentax KP is the same price as the FF Sony). Yesterday's photo at Oxford Circus was taken after a trip to camera shops to try out the Sony A7ii and Fuji X-T2. Any ideas/comments most welcome.

No replacement soon, so I'm using the K-01, and despite my reservations about the lack of a viewfinder, it's having a double Explore today! It won't be all b&w from the K-01, as the sensor loves colour.
Oh... Sorry for your loss Never heard of a shutter failure on the K-3. But then I guess yours has seen more use than most - and good use at that.

I found the K-1 a bit heavy at first, but just a few days ago it struck me that I thought of it nimble and as easy to handle. Almost made me laugh. But yes, weight was one of my main concerns before buying the K-1. I think it makes up for it with its excellent ergonomics, though. That said, I had decided against the K-1 - due to weight, price, and my DA lenses. Still couldn't resist when I found one for a good price second hand. Same as I did with the K-3, actually.

I did look at the A7 series at one point, but there are a few things I don't like with them. Maybe the main thing for me is the less than stellar battery life. It would mean keeping track of a whole bunch of batteries on my trips. Next is that the image stabilisation works only with Sony lenses (unless they've fixed that now). That's just stupid. And I'm not sure I want an EVF. There are good things about them, though, so that's mostly a matter of taste. I've seen some complaints over sensor heating, too, but I think that's mainly a problem for those shooting video.

The Fujis I haven't looked too hard at. They look to be nice cameras, though - and they have some absolutely beautiful lenses. I'm not entirely convinced of their X-Trans sensors - people seem to be rather devided in their views. Might not be a real concern, though. I'm sure they have their own legion of "Fuji is doomed" guys

So while I could wish for somehing more compact than the K-1 (or even K-3/K-5) I haven't found anything that makes sense when already having a good selection of SLR lenses. The A7 series comes the closest, I think.

Oh, and I have the GR for those times when I need really compact

I guess my #1 tip would be to keep an eye on the second hand market no matter which way you choose to go.

11-12-2017, 07:55 AM - 1 Like   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What's the cost to repair?

---------- Post added 11-12-17 at 09:57 AM ----------

Oh and congrats on explore, my alone in a crowd picture also was explored so this group is doing well in that respect.
11-12-2017, 11:07 AM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
gone
Well that explains the sudden increase in K-01 appearances in your exifs that I'd noticed. Bummer and condolences. Do you know how many actuations the K-3 has/had? K-3 shutter is supposed to be good for at least what, 100K or 200K, right?

There are things about other systems that have grabbed my attention at times for sure. I'm with savoche about the K-1 size/weight. I noticed it a bit at first but wasn't bothered by it. Adapted quickly and the only time it ever bothers me now is when carrying any bigger sensored camera would bother me, because it means my back is biting. What about a used K-3 replacement? Could probably happen less expensively than the repair or any newer system/body, I'd guess.
11-12-2017, 02:35 PM   #67
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
What about a used K-3 replacement?
Good point. I have seen good deals for used K-3(ii)s.

The K-3 shutter is specified to 200k, I think. But I guess that's like the MTBF for hard disks; some will manage more, some less, but on average it should be 200k.

11-12-2017, 11:58 PM   #68
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

double Explore
I know you have those all the time, but I got my first double for my Nov 11th shots
11-13-2017, 12:16 AM   #69
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I got my first double for my Nov 11th shots
Congratulations! Great news you've joined the "mine's a double club". And many thanks for your comments above; much appreciated food for thought, as the excellent ergonomics of the K-1 clearly help outweigh it's weight!

@UncleVanya and @Todd

The camera has just over 117,000 actuations - not a huge amount but in the danger zone. I'm looking into the cost of repair and it'll be at least £300 it seems, but no definite cost until the service people have seen the camera. I had a similar issue with the K20D and was told it wasn't worth repairing (vs buying a newer, one year warranty, 2nd hand one), although it may be worth extending the life of my K-3.

I'm getting over the loss now, you know - denial (keep turning the camera on and off, recharge battery again, shake camera), grief (it's really broken), anger (it's not had enough actuations to fail, damn it), and acceptance (actually this is an opportunity!) .
11-13-2017, 12:28 AM   #70
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Advice please. I've been using the NIK collection on my Mac with Photoshop Elements for several years now, both for colour and B&W PP. This morning I upgraded to High Sierra, the latest Mac OS and now NIK is no longer accessible. There were warnings of this possibility after Google announced it would no longer update NIK. It seems it's a common issue with High Sierra.

Question: What recommendations do members of the group have for a replacement package?

Thanks in advance.

Addendum. DxO have apparently bought NIK and are committed to enhancing it with a new release in 2018, and working in cahouts with DxOPhotoLab. MacPhun seems to be another favoured option, with Luminar to be upgraded in 2018.

Last edited by OzzRod; 11-13-2017 at 01:56 AM.
11-13-2017, 04:59 AM - 1 Like   #71
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OzzRod Quote
Advice please. I've been using the NIK collection on my Mac with Photoshop Elements for several years now, both for colour and B&W PP. This morning I upgraded to High Sierra, the latest Mac OS and now NIK is no longer accessible. There were warnings of this possibility after Google announced it would no longer update NIK. It seems it's a common issue with High Sierra.

Question: What recommendations do members of the group have for a replacement package?

Thanks in advance.

Addendum. DxO have apparently bought NIK and are committed to enhancing it with a new release in 2018, and working in cahouts with DxOPhotoLab. MacPhun seems to be another favoured option, with Luminar to be upgraded in 2018.

I use Luminar for all of my processing - I may open Tonality for pure monochrome processing, or Snapheal for spot/dust removal, but Luminar is my primary editor and I could not be happier....

I have been using Nik's HDR Efex Pro 2 for any HDR effects that I want, but with the pending update I'm about to download for my OS (thanks for the heads-up).... I may have to spring for Skylum's Aurora HDR app....
11-13-2017, 06:25 AM   #72
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use dxo and really like it.
11-13-2017, 08:37 AM - 1 Like   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My jiu-jitsu shot from Saturday made explore ...

11-13-2017, 10:14 AM   #74
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's a lot of explore activity for this little group this weekend!
11-13-2017, 03:21 PM   #75
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep, at least 5 just on the 11th!