Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2017, 01:31 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Single in November 2017

Welcome everyone to the Single In November 2017 Challenge!

Theme days:

Saturday 4th November: BACKLIT

Saturday 11th November: MONOCHROME

Tuesday 21st November: B/SELFIES

Saturday 25th November: BLUR/BOKEH

Aim of the Game:To use the same lens each day for a month, posting one picture captured each day with that lens. The picture must be captured with a Pentax lens coupled to a camera body of your choice (including Pentax/Ricoh), a non-Pentax lens provided it is coupled only to a Pentax or Ricoh body, or a Pentax-Ricoh point&shoot camera. (Taking other pictures with other cameras/lenses is fine, but these won’t be eligible for this Challenge).

Commenting: Posting your pictures allows other participants to comment on them. Conversely, it’s hoped that you will comment on those of other members. Please don’t be shy if you don’t have much photographic experience or are a Forum newbie - your personal reactions to photographs are as valid as anyone else’s. It’s a very friendly group and with regular commenting, you’ll soon be enjoying the camaraderie.

The rewards: It’s great fun. You’ll learn heaps about how your chosen lens can perform and you’ll see what other members achieve with their selected lenses - sometimes the same one you’ve chosen. In the comment banter you’ll pick up many tips on photographic technique generally, including post processing. As the month progresses it often becomes quite demanding (it’s a challenge, remember) but you’ll always be encouraged by other participants. Worried about LBA? - this game doesn’t help you fight it!

How to participate:

1. First you need to join the Group to be able to post pictures; you only have to do this once. The group’s name is “Monthly Photo Challenges”. You’ll find a clickable link on that forum page to join.

2. You’ll need to have your pictures stored in an on-line album. This could be the Pentax Forum, or others such as Flickr, Picassa etc. You actually post a link to the picture in your album into the daily picture thread.

** If you are linking to a Pentax Forum album, you’ll find advice on how to post elsewhere in the Forum and in the FAQs below. One of the Challenge’s stalwarts, patjp, has also prepared a short video on how to do this - it’s on YouTube (Singlein.m4v)

** If you are posting a link to Flickr, just click on the sharing icon below your selected picture and a window will open displaying the BB code. Copy it and paste into the Single in (month) Challenge thread in the Pentax Forum.

Each day, you’ll see a new thread of pictures grow and by clicking on each you should be redirected to the photographer’s parent album where you will be able to add a comment and read those of others. When you post each day’s picture to the Pentax Forum, please specify the camera/lens combination underneath your picture eg K5 & DA15 Ltd - this makes it easy for others to note what combo you’re using.

The thread you’re painstakingly reading now is the Discussion Thread for Game > Single in (month).

This is separate to the picture posting thread referred to above and you’ll probably want to subscribe to the Discussion one to keep up with activities and develop a rapport with Challenge members. It’s the place where you can ask questions, offer advice, share concerns, suggest improvements, and often just participate in general banter related to this month’s challenge.

So there it is. It is easier than it might seem at first. If you miss a day, don’t worry. If you have any problems, please ask. We’re a very friendly, forgiving, international bunch. Come and try!

FAQs: Finally, Zorglub has kindly posted a FAQ collection here …. The FAQ - Monthly Photo Challenges - PentaxForums.com

Video below was created by patjp

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
10-26-2017, 01:42 PM - 1 Like   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
IN

SMC 35mm f3.5 for me - I've been wanting to Single with this lens since she arrived....
10-26-2017, 02:24 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If it arrives in time - Samyang 12/2.8 fisheye. I'm not holding my breath....

If it doesn't - DFA28-105
10-26-2017, 03:46 PM - 1 Like   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I'm not sure about November. After what happened to my moral this month, I'm not sure what November is going to be like shooting wise. We'll be putting our house on the market and my plans are to move to my granddaughter's house. Of course that is only if, the house sells right away. (hope, hope )

I can start, don't know what lens yet. Don't have one in mind either. Maybe I could try the Pentax 100-300mm on manual focus and see if it does better.

10-26-2017, 07:05 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I go back to day shift hours on November 6th, so I may try to get back in this month. I'm kind of thinking of making a real challenge of it with the DA* 200, or go easy on myself with the DA 20-40.

Last edited by twilhelm; 10-26-2017 at 08:09 PM.
10-27-2017, 03:51 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I badly want to go in for this month, but I'm having too much fun in the darkroom. Alas there's no possibility of shooting single-in on film and putting them up in short bursts at the end of a week; I'm going to be on call a lot, and I really don't want to do darkroom stuff when I have to keep a phone with me and at any time I might have to abandon everything and ruin the whole roll.
10-27-2017, 04:12 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Single In has been done with film before.
If you want it badly enough, make it happen.

10-27-2017, 07:37 AM   #8
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

just a note

I will be participating in this month's Single (and the Daily) and probably will continue to do so for the foreseeable future... that being said, do not expect commentary from me on your photographs; I shoot for me and if you would like to comment or critique my work, please feel free to do so...

if you do leave remarks, my first instinct will be to thank you for your time and attention, but I may not respond...

that's all, please carry on....
10-29-2017, 11:22 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

I'm in with the 77mm Limited. I've been hemming and hawing about it for too long.
10-30-2017, 06:20 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm in with the Sigma 135mm f/2.8 Pantel (m42 mount) - minimum aperture of f/64. Yay diffraction?

10-31-2017, 05:34 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think I will try to do the DA 15 limited this month. I may not hit every day this month as the schedule looks a bit full...
10-31-2017, 06:18 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by babywriter Quote
Yay diffraction?
Yay ultraclose macro with multiple extension tubes and deep, deep depth of field. We await results.

I am considering whether I should go in from time to time, but in answer to Sandy I simply cannot do darkroom work if I'm on call and have to have a cellphone on me at all times. Instant sacking and deportation offence if I miss a call because I was having fun.
10-31-2017, 06:23 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Yay ultraclose macro with multiple extension tubes and deep, deep depth of field. We await results.
Never thought about this! Fascinating. I happen to have a full set of Pentax m42 extension tubes, too. Hmmmmm.......
10-31-2017, 08:06 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Hi All, I'm going to try the HD DA 55-300 ED PLM WR RE, but as with others, I'll be extremely busy this month so I don't know if I'll be able to contribute every day. At least the 55-300 has a more versatile range than the 150-450, so it should be possible to take a photo of something. I went for a walk at the usual spot today and after a month with the 150-450, my immediate reactions to the 55-300 are:

1. It's so light!
2. It focusses faster than the 150-450!
3. I'm really noticing how much shorter 300mm is compared to 450mm.
4. I happened to get very close to a Red-rumped Parrot, and the resolution of the lens is surprising (even astonishing) given how light and compact it is.

---------- Post added 01-11-17 at 02:07 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I am considering whether I should go in from time to time, but in answer to Sandy I simply cannot do darkroom work if I'm on call and have to have a cellphone on me at all times. Instant sacking and deportation offence if I miss a call because I was having fun.
Can you batch the scans and post in arrears?

At lunch time I took two photos at the same spot at 55mm and 300mm. I was quite surprised to see the amount of vignetting at 300mm.

HD DA 55-300 PLM at 55mm
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr

Pentax HD-DA 55-300 PLM at 300mm
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr

Last edited by RobG; 11-01-2017 at 03:23 AM.
11-01-2017, 11:39 AM - 1 Like   #15

Photos: Albums
My crazy schedule should be settling down now, after an unsuccessful try in September I'm going to retry a month with my Pentax K 28mm f2.0. Interesting to note that it hasn't left my K5 since the start of September. Been having a lot of fun with it, but haven't been able to commit to every day. Hopefully with harvest behind me I'll be able to participate and comment regularly this month.
Mark