Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2017, 06:25 AM   #16

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Challenge is closed!

Thanks to all who participated. I'm still out of town, but will try to get my judging done in the next day or two

11-30-2017, 08:12 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Be kind and take one more- this one slipped my mind and I was on holiday too
11-30-2017, 03:41 PM   #18

Original Poster
Sure, happy to accept an additional entry.

In fact, I probably won't get to the judging until tomorrow or Saturday, so if anyone else wants to add another, feel free.
12-02-2017, 06:07 PM - 1 Like   #19

Original Poster
Ok, we are officially at an end on this one. I apologize for how long it has taken me to get this challenge completed. Here are my thought, followed by my results. Congrats to all on some really interesting and diverse PP approaches.

Jcomley: Very cool take. It strikes me as almost and anime look. Very bold and eye catching.
Rgkneif60: I like the mirror image look and crop. Colors are warm and rich. With these changes and the crop, you brought us closer to the main subject and revealed more of its detail. It appears you fixed the fuzz above the sailboat.
Iheiramo: The lighted main subject brings out more detail and it appears you picked up on and fixed the slight horizon tilt. Interesting color change as well.
D1N0: Another really bold, eye catching take. It looks almost like a painting of the scene
MarkJerling: This one is perhaps the most faithful to the original. It looks like there is some clarity enhancement or haze reduction, which pops the sailboat a bit. I like the warm colors and crop of some of the top and bottom and you picked up on the slight horizon tilt. Very nice overall.
BruceBanner: You brought out detail in the tree and rocks I didnít know was there, yet were able to keep the same basic color palette. The sky and water have become very painterly. I like it, but do miss the sailboat and the depth it added.
Glenn5995: Wow, you have some mad PP skills! On the night sky scene, whether intentional or not, there is just a little extra light around the sailboat so that it is not completely lost. You were even able to pull out more detail in the tree while creating the night scene. The second one, I donít even know what to say, other than how in the world did you pull it off? Are the rocks and tree the only part of the original photo that remain?
Astonm: Very interesting take. It kind of strikes me like it is now from a dream scene in a movie of the same setting.
Tuggie76: Youíve really brought out a lot of detail overall, caught the slight horizon angle and fixed the fuzz above the sailboat. That is not actually a sailboat. That is the dorsal fin of a very large sea creature!
Todd: Wow, another amazing alteration! Not sure how you got those rocks to grow up out of the ďseaĒ. Rock, paper, scissors, your rocks are going to give Glen5995ís ships a lot of trouble.
Noelcmn: A much different take. Rather than bringing out additional detail in the rocks and tree, the silhouette approach has emphasized them just as much, if not more. You picked up on the horizon tilt and the fuzz over the sailboat.

This is a very tough one for me to judge. Iím going to go with the following:

1. Glenn5995: for shear effort and creativity gets first. You are the host of the next challenge.
2. Todd: Very close second, even though your rocks would decimate Glenn5995ís ships.
3. BruceBanner: with his very painterly version.

Thanks to all for your efforts!

12-03-2017, 06:33 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you dlneubec for hosting this challenge.

QuoteOriginally posted by dlneubec Quote
Are the rocks and tree the only part of the original photo that remain?
You are correct. I almost didn't submit it as I feared you might be offended I didn't use much of your photo, but I thought of this image with an unsuspecting ship sailing towards peril and found it easier to move the rocks and tree into another image than try to work it into the original. It was just for fun. I am relieved you liked it.

Great job everyone!

Challenge #243 is open for business!

Challenge #243
12-03-2017, 02:05 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
MarkJerling: This one is perhaps the most faithful to the original. It looks like there is some clarity enhancement or haze reduction, which pops the sailboat a bit. I like the warm colors and crop of some of the top and bottom and you picked up on the slight horizon tilt. Very nice overall.
Thank you for your kind comments!

1. Glenn5995: for shear effort and creativity gets first. You are the host of the next challenge.
2. Todd: Very close second, even though your rocks would decimate Glenn5995ís ships.
3. BruceBanner: with his very painterly version.
Congratulations to the well deserved winner and 2nd and 3rd places.