Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2017, 11:48 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Post Processing Challenge #244

Welcome to Post-Processing Challenge 244! I hope you have fun playing with this image of the Luhrs Tower and Light Rail Train from downtown Phoenix, Arizona. K-5 IIs & 15 Limited

Unprocessed JPEG Preview

If this is your first time playing, it's easy. Just download the DNG I've provided in the link below, process it in any way you please, and post your versions back into this thread for a chance to be the next host.

For this round, multiple entries are encouraged. Have fun!

DNG: File sharing and storage made simple

I'll close the thread sometime next Sunday, December 17, 2017.

A note to the winner: Please copy and post this info into the next challenge.

The mediafire website is: mediafire.com
The login name is: ppchallenge@tmphillips.com
The password is: postprocessing

Read more at: PP Challenge #243 - Waterfall - PentaxForums.com

12-11-2017, 03:46 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

......and then the Metro Time Train made a right turn, leaving 1929 behind and returning its passengers to 2017!

.....and plain ol' reality

.....and not quite real

Last edited by Glenn5995; 12-15-2017 at 11:27 AM. Reason: added 3rd entry
12-11-2017, 12:05 PM - 2 Likes   #3

Photos: Gallery
I hit the "Dehaze" filter and Al Franken appeared.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
12-11-2017, 12:53 PM - 1 Like   #4

pp244 - here are mine

1: a bit of drama

2: Same processing with white border. (i've added black border as well, without it you cannot see the white one )

12-11-2017, 04:34 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've done this many times.. I start out excited to have an idea only to get to the point when burnout starts in. Then despite telling myself to save it and come back another day with fresh energy to finish it properly, once again I chose to push through, resulting in a sloppy overcooked image short of the original vision... Oh well posting it anyway...
12-11-2017, 05:13 PM - 1 Like   #6

Photos: Albums
This was a fun one! I chose to remove the most distracting wires. One take is traditional, one sort of a negative value and a couple are "painterly" versions.
Attached Images

12-12-2017, 04:11 PM - 1 Like   #7

How about a little sunset effect?

Attached Images

12-12-2017, 05:01 PM - 1 Like   #8

Just playing around with ON1 Photo Raw 2018
Attached Images

12-14-2017, 02:59 PM - 3 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

Quick! Get off the tracks, here it comes....
Attached Images

12-14-2017, 05:18 PM - 1 Like   #10
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So much for giving this a miss

Decided to pass on this challenge, but saw the image and thought I'd have to play. Started a version yesterday, didn't like it so went with a completely different one below. All PP in On1 Photo RAW.

Thought I'd spend a bit of time going back to my original vision of to represent the scene.

Tas

Last edited by Tas; 12-16-2017 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Added second submission
12-14-2017, 07:35 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
l PP in On1 Photo RAW.

Tas
Hmmm. I wonder if ON1 Photo RAW tends to process toward a certain style.
12-14-2017, 09:11 PM - 1 Like   #12
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by johnhilvert Quote
Hmmm. I wonder if ON1 Photo RAW tends to process toward a certain style.
There's certainly some similarities there John, but I blame the photographer for that.

Maybe I should have stuck with plan A and posted a mono version instead?

Tas
12-15-2017, 05:30 PM - 1 Like   #13

How about a cartoon version?
Attached Images

12-16-2017, 11:20 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Only about 24 hours remaining. Cool entries so far!
12-17-2017, 05:15 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for playing along this week. You all produced a wide variation of creative versions.

I hadn't actually processed this one myself before choosing it for this exercise. I played around with it some later and noticed there were sharpness issues as well as some pretty obvious color fringing that needed to be addressed. I figured extra credit would go to at least some perspective distortion correction and/or creative choices.

I'll try to comment on each.

jcomley, You submitted a colorful HDR and a sketchedy version. I liked the first version better, but would have liked to see a smoother sky with less grunginess and haloing, plus a correction of the color fringing in the power lines.

Glenn5995, Three excellent entries. You get extra credit for the time traveling version and your second entry was just perfection. I liked the sky in the 3rd entry, but am not a fan of removal of the power lines. These lines are necessary for the train to continue around the curve.

quant2325, Your entry gets extra credit for current events (even though the photo used is very old), but Al Franken's ugly mug negates the current events points. Funny entry, however.

Meg4mi, I love the drama - without overdoing it. Perhaps a little cool for my taste. Very well done!

Todd, another stellar job. First, I love the foreground grittiness and contrast. I was liking the direction you were headed for the dark dramatic sky, but it looks a little unfinished in areas where it meets the buildings and with white artifacts around the power lines.

dlneubec, You offered up 6 creative versions with 4 being abstract painterly versions. I find the foreground to be very dark in all 6 versions. If the foreground wasn't so dark, I think your painterly versions would have really popped. Like I mentioned in Glenn5995s review, the power lines are quite necessary for the electric light rail train to operate. While I see a valid reason one may clone distracting power lines from a scene, removing them here leaves me scratching my head trying to make sense of the scene.

johnhilvert, Nice overall tones in your single entry. I think you went a little to far with the perspective distortion correction and find the color balance a little warm for me.

astonm. Whoa! That's what I said when I first saw your entry. I like it when another photographers vision of the same scene is so different than mine. I love the sense of motion as well as the overall color and contrast. Great job!

Tas, Your first entry was nice, but wow! The second entry was so cool. You managed a great sky replacement even with the challenges of all the power lines and such. I love the moody tones and sense of motion in the sky and train.

I always feel strange trying to judge other people's work. I feel like I barely know what I'm doing myself, but I must chose someone to host the next round.

Our next host will be astonm!

If I had to pick a second place, it would be Tas... or maybe Glenn5995... or Meg4mi... or Todd... You get the idea.

Thanks for playing.