Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
I'll go with a B&W theme,
Great choice Tim.

12-30-2017, 04:31 AM - 12 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll make a start - might not complete it in one go - I'll try month by month - hopefully no really bad ones

January

February (not a very productive month)

March - not a classic month either, but I quite like the obvious photographic appeal of this storm-beached boat here

April - a lot of pictures I like - this is probably the one with the widest appeal

May - these Beautiful Demoiselles made May (and June) special

June - a surprisingly unproductive June - the insects were a bit late this year - I was trying some slightly more arty macro, of which this is as good as any

I'll take a short break now - the other 6 later.

Last edited by ffking; 12-30-2017 at 04:38 AM.
12-30-2017, 06:54 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Wow, some amazing shots for sure! Keep 'em coming!

Thanks to all who have responded so far.

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
January - my kitteh, K-01 + Sigma Super Wide 24/2.8
April - new-to-me Adaptall 300/2.8 (360B) + the old T6-2x TC. Sentimentality ruled this choice, in honor of our friend Rupert...
December - a Merry Christmas with my precious. K-01 + F50/1.7
Cat in a bag, and cat bokeh are classics! Wonderful homage to Rupert as well.

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Letter of condolences, and Purple Heart at the Lyon air museum at John Wayne airport.
Wow, that letter. I could just imagine the crew dumping out all non-essential items as they tried to make it back... Very touching.

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Me too !! Seeing some members " favorite " pix in one place is great. Hope you enjoy a couple of mine.
I love jumping spiders too! Wonderful shots.

QuoteOriginally posted by utak Quote
In 2017, I decided to try a much bolder approach to processing.
Worked very well!

QuoteQuote:
May - The camera's eye, or 15 blades in a Pentacon 135/2.8 snapped with a Macro-Takumar 50/4. A lot of pp needed to show off those blades down the barrel of the lens.
Just looks totally like a James Bond reference to me! Was that deliberate? If so, very well done!
12-30-2017, 08:43 AM - 11 Likes   #19
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

always a tough call, but I'll try my hand here - January through June:

July through December:

12-30-2017, 09:21 AM - 10 Likes   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Part two:

July - a very busy month, including a trip to the wonderfully photogenic Scotland

August - another busy month - impossible to choose a favourite, so I'm choosing one that's indicative of the beginnings of a return to a more handheld street style that I've increasingly been getting into again

September - I did a lot of blue hour and night photography with the K-1 this year - the harvest moon deserves a place

October -the month of storms

November- I did a lot of playing with shutter speeds and ND filters in November - this isn't a good example of that, but it's one I like

December - a few days in London refreshed the old imagination no end

Really looking forward to the photo opportunities of 2018
12-31-2017, 12:39 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Excellent range of work on display so far -- I look forward to adding my own set, but that will take a while as most of my photography this year was in the last few months and I am still working through it.
12-31-2017, 01:56 PM - 12 Likes   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My humble contribution

From Rietvlei Nature reserve, where I enjoyed the company of this black backed Jackal in golden light.

Pilansberg National Park, where I saw my first "chase and kill" in over 30 years of visiting game reserves. High adrenalin event.

From the same visit, and moments after this peaceful scene was captured, a Lion attempted to kill a waterbuck, everything exploded into action, but the Lion was unsuccessful.

Capped Wheatear- a first for me, as a twitcher.

BLESSED NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL.

12-31-2017, 02:36 PM - 10 Likes   #23
Pentaxian

Let there be night!

The Space Whale.

Shocking!

Shocking part duex

Dawn Patrol

Orion and the international space station

Venus and Jupiter

Night mares

Reno sunrise

Solar eclipse

Fort Churchill panorama

Costa's hummingbird

and last but not least, Furry cat. Furry was one of a pair of feral cats that showed up on my patio several years ago. I knew better than to feed them but I did it anyway. After lots of food and patience, Furry would allow me to pet him while he was eating. He disappeared a few months ago. I hope he found a good home.

Feral cat
12-31-2017, 09:23 PM - 13 Likes   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It was kind of an odd year in that I broke my ankle in September and that prevented me from getting out in the woods and hiking in October.
Not a good photo by any means, but it reminds me of a fun January day. This was taken at a place called Greene's Heritage Museum, a pprivate collection an an older gentleman that still actively builds and restores carriages, stage coaches, and the like. He has actually collected buildings and they are filled with whatever. One newer pole barn is filled with his carriages. There are many other buildings including a blacksmith shop, general store, tourist cottage, church, and a train staion, which this piture was taken in. You may have seen this place on the American Pickers TV show.

In February I visited a bird rescue facility. It was a really warm February day so the took the birds out and sat them in trees, which they enjoyed. I was able to get this closeup of a tiny red morph Eastern Screech Owl. Close enough that the DA* 300's bokeh blurred out the entire background.

In March I got this snowy photo of a little creek in a new metropark that opened up close by.

In April I spent a day at Hocking Hills which was very productive, this is Cedar Falls. I had planned to go back in October but the cast on my leg said no.

In may I traveled to the Erie shores for the warbler migration. But my favorite photo from the day was this great egret

In June I went to a place that I had never heard of until a few weeks earlier. Near Urbana, Ohio, the Cedar Bog Nature Preserve is actually not a bog but a Fen, water flows out of it constantly. You walk though on a boardwalk because a lot of it is covered in water. It is home to many species of plants that are not found anywhere else on Ohio. My favorite photo from the day was this woodland jumping mouse, which I still can't believe I saw.

For July I'll show this cityscape featuring a US Courthouse, it's a little eerie since the street was closed for a festival .

For August I'll go with this sunset

In early September I was in the right place for this rainbow

In October they took the cast off of my broken ankle and gave me a boot. So I was off on a Friday and went for a drive, I had never saw this covered bridge before so I made it a point to find it.

It wouldn't be my best of without a shot of my buddy Fester the Cat

This one is my favorite from December, taken just this past Friday. I was rewarded for my 2 hour hike in 13 degree Fahrenheit weather.
01-01-2018, 07:33 AM - 11 Likes   #25
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm too periodical in my shooting to pick one favourite from each month, so will pick 12 regardless of month. Presenting them in chornological order, though.

Starting with our tropical holiday in the island state of São Tomé & Príncipe. A fairly standard beach shot but bringing back good memories

One of many hermite crabs walking the beaches.

Home to considerably lower temperatures. First to Budor, Norway.

Then on to Finse, Norway.

Back in the city.

A trip to the windy beaches around Skagen, Denmark.

Going to the opera.

A trip to the west coast.

...and up into the mountains around mid-summer.

Quite literally a street shot

Attempting an architectural shot.

Trying my hand at night photography as the days once more grow short.

Intersting to see that which of my shots I like tends to differ a bit from what people here on PF like - and differ quite a lot from what the mob on Flickr likes
01-01-2018, 09:18 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
...birds out...Fester...
Nice owl. I'm an not a cat person but that is an excellent shot.
01-01-2018, 11:00 AM - 7 Likes   #27
Pentaxian

Very nice pictures all around in this thread, and it's fun to see full sets of favorites from forum members. The stories that go along with the images are great too! Thanks for the thread, Doundoumba, and thanks all for sharing.

This is the first picture I took in 2017, and think it is my very favorite from this year. Daughter and boyfriend going home after spending the holidays with us. Train portraits are fun!

I thought I would try a series of images of this grassy plant (I'll have to find out what it is). I did quite a number, with different lenses - a few came out ok, but I'll have to put this project back on track (I rather lost interest at some point, as I felt it was going stale).

Friends of ours recently bought a decomissioned water tower. It was interesting to visit, although I did not make it to the top (I get vertigo just imagining myself on top of that structure!). Shooting inside was tough, as, of course, I had not taken a wide-angle along.

It's pretty difficult to get candids of my youngest daughter, but I feel I succeeded at capturing her here.

My eldest daughter's boyfriend. Tellement français!

Another train shot - eldest daughter.

Museums are such a great reservoir of photos!

My wife does not enjoy being photographed. This may be the best I can do.

My eldest, once again. She is very fun to photograph, to photograph with, and to be photographed by!

Zola the cat, contemplating who knows what?

In a museum, again. Walked into the room , and there was the picture, waiting for me.

Room for just one more, so be it! I like the atmosphere in this one, and the light was just right.

May you all have a wonderful new year!
01-01-2018, 11:03 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
my brother adopted a 4 week old kitteh, who was found by an acquaintance in a gas grill
Very evocative kitten shot, luftfluss. In a gas grill though? Shudder...
01-01-2018, 11:11 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by utak Quote
how good the jpeg colours can be from this camera with a DA40mm XS.
I love the colours from the 40XS! I spent a year using it exclusively (with the k-01) before branching out to wider fields of view. 24 - 28 - 35 are my favorites now, and I'm pretty much surprised at how different 35 feels to 40 (on aps-c). Haven't used the XS in I don't know how long now because of FOV (but also because legacy lenses work better for me on the "brick").

The Big Ben shot is great!
01-01-2018, 11:13 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
January
That's gorgeous, ffking, quite the atmosphere!