Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 241 Likes Search this Thread
01-04-2018, 07:43 AM   #46

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Impressive set, all the more so for the unified theme. "Mind the gap" is very funny. #2 and #8 are outstanding.
Appreciated, thanks. I'd be lost without the GR.

01-06-2018, 08:50 AM - 7 Likes   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Mine will be landscapes.

Patoka Lake Sunset (K3 and DA 15 limited)

Generated from my Apple iPhone using tools.rackonly.com

Sunrise at Patoka Lake (K-1 and DFA 15-30)

Two Trees at Sunset (K-1 and DFA 24-70)

Before Dawn (K-1 and DFA 15-30)

Tree and Field (K-1 and DFA 15-30)

Sunset on Sea of Galilee (K-1 and DFA 15-30)

Tree and Sun (K-1 and DFA *70-200)

Sunrise (K-1 and DFA *70-200)

Leaving the Dock (K-1 and DFA 24-70)

Old Tractor and Harvest Moon (K-1 and DFA 24-70)

Fence Post in the Snow (K-1 and FA 31 limited)

Wisp at Night (K-1 and DA *55)

I guess the one thing I realize is that the K-1 has turned me into more of a zoom lens shooter than I used to be. I still use primes and still enjoy using them, but the quality I get from the DFA zooms on the K-1 pretty well matches the primes I own from a landscape standpoint (remember, I'm generally shooting stopped down). So, one more reason not to buy a K-1, I suppose...

Last edited by Rondec; 01-06-2018 at 09:09 AM.
01-06-2018, 10:19 AM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Mine will be landscapes.
Very Nice

---------- Post added 01-06-18 at 11:20 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote

I guess the one thing I realize is that the K-1 has turned me into more of a zoom lens shooter than I used to be. I still use primes and still enjoy using them, but the quality I get from the DFA zooms on the K-1 pretty well matches the primes I own from a landscape standpoint (remember, I'm generally shooting stopped down). So, one more reason not to buy a K-1, I suppose...
Not to mention the cost of the K-1 and all that DFA glass
01-10-2018, 07:48 AM - 2 Likes   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Super-enjoyable photos in this thread. We need more folks to post!

01-10-2018, 08:21 AM - 1 Like   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Super-enjoyable photos in this thread. We need more folks to post!
I agree,with all the lovely Pentax gear knocking around amongst the members of this forum there must be more than 18 of us who can dig out 12 shots worth sharing
01-10-2018, 01:10 PM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I wonder if enough people haven't seen the thread to dig out their best photos from last year.
01-10-2018, 02:16 PM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm still waiting on two rolls of film. E6, so I don't have a local option, and I went cheap and slow for this order. Between that and my travel schedule, scanning and processing, I might not be posting my list for another month or more.

01-11-2018, 01:16 AM - 6 Likes   #53
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hugely enjoyable and inspirational thread. Wonderful images from everyone who has posted.

These are in chronological order. I've selected ones that are evocative to me - I hope you enjoy viewing them as much as I enjoyed taking them.

1. Sunset on a warm summer evening at Walkerville in South Gippsland (Victoria, Australia) in January. I haven't increased the saturation - it really was like this. K-S2 + DA 12-24.

2. Mountain Ash (Eucalyptus regnans) forest in January. K-3 + FA 77 Ltd, 8 vertical shots, stitched. This is one of my favourite places around here. The wonder of this image, to me, is the way the 3D effect of the 77 was preserved in a stitched pano.

3. The magnificent snow-gum woodland in the Victorian high country is still recovering from major fires in 2003 and 2006, but it is heartening to see some of these old giants living on. Bryce's Plain, Alpine National Park, January. K-S2 + DA 18-135.

4. From snow gums to red gums. LaTrobeRiver at Sale, January 2017. K-S2 + DA 18-135.

5. This Yellow-bellied Water Skink posed obligingly during a visit to Mitchell River National Park in East Gippsland in January, justifying lugging the K-3 and FA*300 f4.5 on a walk in very warm, humid conditions.

6. Judging Poll Dorsets at the Red Hill Show in March. This was one of three country shows we went to this year. They are great fun and provide excellent photo ops. K-S2 + FA 43 Ltd.

7. Rainbow Lorikeet on a flowering gum in March (K-S2 + FA*300). I got a lot of good parrot shots this year, especially with the excellent FA*300.

8. I've taken this spectacular vista (looking from our place towards Corner Inlet and Wilson's Promontory) many times, but the sight of the inlet and valleys coated in fog in the early-morning light in March was still special. K-S2 + DFA 100.

9. Tasmanian Pademelon (K-3 + DFA 100), from our two-week holiday in Tasmania in March/April. This beautiful little wallaby hung around our rainforest cottage for several days. Tassie is a visual feast and I still have many images from the trip to process - so I'll re-live it over this year.

10. I took this New Holland Honeyeater in June with the K-S2 + humble DA-L 55-300, while my PLM was in for repairs. I have got plenty of good shots with the DA-L - it is one of the great bargains.

11. A whale cruise from Phillip Island in July turned out to be the cruise of the season, as this young Humpback Whale swam around and checked out the boat for 15 minutes (K-3 + DA 18-135)

12. Valencia Creek in the Gippsland Hills in September. K-S2 + DA 12-24.

I've also posted some other favourite wildlife shots from the year here: Wildlife - Page 84 - PentaxForums.com
01-14-2018, 10:20 AM   #54
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Bump.

Thanks again to all those who have participated. I've been a bit under the weather, so I won't comment on each post, but the shots posted are amazing and inspirational.

We're approaching mid-January, so I think anyone who hasn't posted yet but has been meaning to do so should step up to the plate soon! (Though, of course, better late than never...)
01-14-2018, 10:49 AM - 1 Like   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote

8. I've taken this spectacular vista (looking from our place towards Corner Inlet and Wilson's Promontory) many times, but the sight of the inlet and valleys coated in fog in the early-morning light in March was still special. K-S2 + DFA 100.

Very nice, both the vista and the shot!
01-14-2018, 11:37 AM - 7 Likes   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

All right, I don't mind posting mine now. I might revise the list once I get my final two rolls back, but right now this is a clear 10 favorite for me (I did 10 rather than 12 because I have done a 10 favorite for several years now). I will present these roughly in order from #10 to #1, although my opinions on that are likely to change from day to day.

First, one from our October/November trip to Utah, made with my wife's point-and-shoot. I was shooting 645 film that day, but this was my favorite from this extraordinary place.

Kolob Pastels
Panasonic ZS-40

Later in the same trip, making use of reflected light in Capitol Reef National Park:

Zebra Wall
Pentax 645N
A150/3.5
Velvia 50

Early fall closer to home, a different look at a spot I love to visit but where I had fallen into a photographic rut:

Mountain Time
Pentax 645N
A150/3.5
Fujifilm Pro 400H

Same trip, I learned about a new spot, difficult to reach:

Water Pressure
Pentax 645N
A55/2.8
Fujifilm Velvia 50

Another from that trip, made while standing in the river, holding an umbrella to keep the rain off:

Harbinger of Fall
Pentax 645N
FA35/3.5
Fujifilm Velvia 50

Made at the end of the year, surprisingly my only B&W entry for the set:

Sentinels
Shen Hao TFC 617-A
Caltar II-N 135/5.6
Ilford FP4+

This Colton-style polyptych is edited from a scan of a single strip of film:

Headlong
Pentax 645N
FA75/2.8
Fujifilm Pro 400H

I did not ignore my trusty K-5! From a wonderfully foggy morning at one of my favorite local spots:

Eno Fog
Pentax K-5
K55/1.8

Also with the K-5, a shift panorama using the Rokinon 24mm tilt/shift lens. This is, I think, an unusual look at an iconic tourist spot:

Secret Garden
Pentax K-5
Rokinon 24/3.5 tilt/shift

Finally, one more from the Utah trip. As soon as I saw the cows I knew the image I wanted, and luckily they cooperated long enough for me to get into position and make this quarter-second exposure:

Cows, Factory Butte
Pentax 645N
A200/4
Fujifilm Provia 100

Thanks for looking!
01-14-2018, 11:49 AM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for looking!
great stuff - particularly considering it's film, so more done in camera - very impressed
01-14-2018, 01:53 PM   #58
Pentaxian

All right, I don't mind posting mine now.
Nice subtle images there
01-14-2018, 02:40 PM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

All right, I don't mind posting mine now. I might revise the list once I get my final two rolls back, but right now this is a clear 10 favorite for me (I did 10 rather than 12 because I have done a 10 favorite for several years now).
Very good! And a variety of P/S digital to large format film at that. The Shen Hao camera is very interesting, this is new to me, looks like a pano camera using 120 film and large format lenses? I lusted over large format gear back in the day, but never pulled it together. I'm afraid I am too entrenched in digital now to do any film work.

Feel free to post more as far a I'm concerned
01-14-2018, 04:26 PM   #60
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sergeremy Quote
Very nice, both the vista and the shot!
Thanks very much.
All right, I don't mind posting mine now. I might revise the list once I get my final two rolls back, but right now this is a clear 10 favorite for me (I did 10 rather than 12 because I have done a 10 favorite for several years now).
A wonderful collection. I agree with @KC0PET - I hope you will add another two at some stage. The fact that you posted only 10 in previous years is a poor reason to confine yourself this year!