Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 241 Likes Search this Thread
01-14-2018, 05:21 PM - 1 Like   #61
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
great stuff - particularly considering it's film, so more done in camera - very impressed
Thank you! Personally, I find the limitations of slide film very liberating.

QuoteOriginally posted by sergeremy Quote
Nice subtle images there
Thanks much!

QuoteOriginally posted by KC0PET Quote
Very good! And a variety of P/S digital to large format film at that. The Shen Hao camera is very interesting, this is new to me, looks like a pano camera using 120 film and large format lenses? I lusted over large format gear back in the day, but never pulled it together. I'm afraid I am too entrenched in digital now to do any film work.
Yep, a 6x17 format camera, with all the same movements as a 4x5 field camera. 4 exposures per roll of 120. Since I already had a 4x5 with lenses I didn't have to buy new lenses, nor even lens boards (I have everything on Technika-type boards). I barely used the 6x17 in 2017 (just one roll) and didn't use the 4x5 at all, but I intend to correct that this year (indeed, I've already had the 4x5 out for a weekend). It did seem odd to go "backwards" from digital to film, but it's just another set of photographic tools and I enjoy it all. Prices might not be quite as rock-bottom as a few years ago, but much large-format gear is still amazingly cheap compared to what it was in the film era.

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
A wonderful collection. I agree with @KC0PET - I hope you will add another two at some stage. The fact that you posted only 10 in previous years is a poor reason to confine yourself this year!
Thanks! OK, when I get those last two rolls back I'll see if I can find two more to add, whether from those rolls or elsewhere.

---------- Post added 2018-01-14 at 07:31 PM ----------

3. The magnificent snow-gum woodland in the Victorian high country is still recovering from major fires in 2003 and 2006, but it is heartening to see some of these old giants living on. Bryce's Plain, Alpine National Park, January. K-S2 + DA 18-135.
Our one visit to Australia was in 2006. We planned to spend time among the snow gums but had to change plans because of those fires. This is a wonderful image.

8. I've taken this spectacular vista (looking from our place towards Corner Inlet and Wilson's Promontory) many times, but the sight of the inlet and valleys coated in fog in the early-morning light in March was still special. K-S2 + DFA 100.
We stayed a couple of nights in a cabin somewhere just outside the park entrance, probably out there in the fog somewhere. Again, beautiful, brings back memories.

01-18-2018, 06:14 AM - 2 Likes   #62
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I think more people should see this thread - for them to see the wonderful images posted here, and to get some more contributions
01-18-2018, 08:46 PM   #63
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote

Yep, a 6x17 format camera, with all the same movements as a 4x5 field camera. 4 exposures per roll of 120. Since I already had a 4x5 with lenses I didn't have to buy new lenses, nor even lens boards (I have everything on Technika-type boards). I barely used the 6x17 in 2017 (just one roll) and didn't use the 4x5 at all, but I intend to correct that this year (indeed, I've already had the 4x5 out for a weekend). It did seem odd to go "backwards" from digital to film, but it's just another set of photographic tools and I enjoy it all. Prices might not be quite as rock-bottom as a few years ago, but much large-format gear is still amazingly cheap compared to what it was in the film era.
You aren't kidding! Just doing some poking around and a used basic 4 x 5 and maybe a lens or 2 can be had for a song compared to what they were back in the day. And the film is fairly reasonable also.

And I wouldn't call shooting film "backwards", just something different. And until someone makes a true large format sensor, how else are you going to shoot large format?
01-20-2018, 02:46 PM - 2 Likes   #64
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I think more people should see this thread - for them to see the wonderful images posted here, and to get some more contributions
Need to keep bumping. More please!

01-24-2018, 07:06 PM - 5 Likes   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Got my final rolls of slide film back, a bit disappointing. So to fill out my set I add two from a December trip to Zion National Park with the K-1, which I had acquired just a few days before. Both were made with the Pentax "K series" 30/2.8 lens, a favorite of mine whether on crop or full frame.

River Rock

These Carven Walls
01-24-2018, 11:14 PM - 7 Likes   #66
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Okay, I'll keep it going ... a mixture of the K-1 and K-S2:

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by clackers; 01-24-2018 at 11:21 PM.
01-25-2018, 12:10 AM - 7 Likes   #67
Pentaxian

There are a lot of really great images in this thread - thanks to everyone for posting.

2017 was maybe the most photographically varied year of my life, mostly due to the amount of travelling and other things I've done - trips to Edinburgh, Japan, Aragón in the north-east of Spain, my first ever music festival and a trip in a hot-air balloon... I also shot quite a bit of film as well as digital, and I hope that my photographic and post-processing skills have improved too over the last trip around the sun. If so, then some of that is no doubt due to the great discussions and input on this forum, and I don't just mean the discussion that fuels my LBA

So picking just twelve images from such a year was extremely difficult, but I think they represent my year fairly well. I've put them in (more-or-less) chronological order, so that they tell the story of my year (at least for me).

I hope 2018 is as productive, and we kicked it off with 11 days in Italy, which is not a bad start. I have my fingers crossed to manage a short trip to Paris (photographic heaven??) in February too.

Looking out
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr

IMGP7732a

Mad Cool 2017, SFXn, Superia Premium 400 020a (Ryan Adams)

Mad Cool 2017, SFXn, Lomography CN 400 071a

Tokyo

Tokyo

Tokyo

Japan Pentax MX Ilford Delta 400 037a

Japan Pentax MX Ilford Delta 400 149a

IMGP9302a

2017-11-06_10-56-26

IMGP3212a

Last edited by Jonathan Mac; 01-25-2018 at 12:15 AM.
01-25-2018, 07:48 AM   #68
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
trips to ... Japan
I really like those b+w's in Japan!
01-25-2018, 07:59 AM   #69
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

+1, very nice work.
01-25-2018, 03:03 PM   #70
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Okay, I'll keep it going ... a mixture of the K-1 and K-S2:
Superb collection Clackers. They are all excellent - every one - and the diversity is very impressive. I'll single out the Powerful Owl shot because many people won't know that this is an uncommon and hard-to-find bird (despite being 1m tall), and to see one with captured prey (poor corella!) is quite rare. And it's just beautifully captured with subtle use of flash.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
So picking just twelve images from such a year was extremely difficult, but I think they represent my year fairly well. I've put them in (more-or-less) chronological order, so that they tell the story of my year (at least for me).
Wonderful set Jonathan. They tell a story of a great year, photographically.
01-25-2018, 03:52 PM - 1 Like   #71
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Superb collection Clackers. They are all excellent - every one - and the diversity is very impressive. I'll single out the Powerful Owl shot because many people won't know that this is an uncommon and hard-to-find bird (despite being 1m tall), and to see one with captured prey (poor corella!) is quite rare. And it's just beautifully captured with subtle use of flash.
Thanks, mate, I'm treating learning photography like an undergraduate degree - pick up as many styles as possible even if they don't seem relevant. The owl of course I ended up doing as a portrait, complete with flash. Some of my cycling shots are really landscapes. There's crossover happening all the time.

While there's that amazing humpback moment you captured, that pademelon has me welling up. (Sniff) Sorry, think I've got something in my eye ....
01-25-2018, 11:05 PM   #72
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
+1, very nice work.
Wonderful set Jonathan. They tell a story of a great year, photographically.
Many thanks. The B&Ws in Japan are a repeat post, you can see the full thread here if you like: Pentax MX and Ilford Delta 400 in Japan - PentaxForums.com

2017 was also the year I discovered Ilford Delta 400.
02-18-2018, 08:08 AM - 7 Likes   #73
Pentaxian

Original Poster
As February nears its end, and CP+ approaches, I'm giving this thread one last bump, to see if anyone else would like to share their twelve favorites of 2017. I so much prefer to see pics than read the bickering in rumors threads...
02-18-2018, 12:13 PM - 1 Like   #74
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
I so much prefer to see pics than read the bickering in rumors threads...
If those people would just go out and shoot instead of complaining...
02-18-2018, 05:15 PM   #75
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If those people would just go out and shoot instead of complaining...
....or use the equipment they so proudly collect