Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2017, 12:11 PM - 13 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Year in Review: Share Your 12 Favorites of 2017

Well, another year is coming to a close, and it's a time to look forward to the new year, but also to look back at what was accomplished during the last twelve months.

I am asking you, if you wish to participate, to pick your twelve favorite shots of 2017 and share them in this thread. It can be less than twelve, but no more. As with Rondec, who started a similar thread last year, I find this sort of thread super inspiring - to see the variety of styles that we collectively practice (landscape, street photography, portraiture, or wildlife), to see the many corners of the world that we photograph, and to showcase the amazing amount of talent that is present on these forums.

Note that I am asking for your favorite work, not necessarily your "best" work, technically speaking. Rather I am talking about those shots which you are most happy to have added to your collection in the past year. I am not asking for you to order them, though you may, of course, do so.

Without further ado, here are my twelve picks, in roughly increasing order of the pleasure I feel in thinking "I took that!". All are macros this year, and seven out of the twelve are focus stacks...

12-28-2017, 12:43 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

These are all wonderful, a real pleasure to view. Congrats on being a superb photog.
12-28-2017, 12:47 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well that is certainly inspiring Doundounba! Thanks for starting this thread, and ever so glad that you made it 12.
12-28-2017, 02:59 PM - 12 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

I'll give it a shot.

My twist: one fave from each month. Not sure these are necessarily my "best" - I still have photos to develop - but I like all of 'em, warts and all.

January - my kitteh, K-01 + Sigma Super Wide 24/2.8

February - local park on a foggy day. K-01 + Sigma Super Wide 24/2.8

March - Junco in a snowstorm. K-5 II + Tamron Adaptall 200-500/5.6 (31A). I had just gotten this lens.

April - new-to-me Adaptall 300/2.8 (360B) + the old T6-2x TC. Sentimentality ruled this choice, in honor of our friend Rupert...

May - a foggy day, and I saw these baby groundhogs peeking at me. K-5 II + A400/5.6

June - I followed these ducklings (and their momma) until they grew up. K-5 II + A400/5.6

July - Beauty above, Death below. K-5 II + A400/5.6

August - a local field, a young bear wonders if buttercups taste like butter. K-5 II + Tamron Adaptall 300/2.8 (360B)

September - my brother adopted a 4 week old kitteh, who was found by an acquaintance in a gas grill K-01 + F50/1.7

October - Great Blue Heron is itchy. K-5 II + Tamron Adaptall 300/2.8 (360B)

November - bald eagle, about 100 ft away on the shore of Lake Musconetcong. K-5 II + Tamron Adaptall 300/2.8 (360B) + A 1.4x-S + AFA 1.7x (714mm total)

December - a Merry Christmas with my precious. K-01 + F50/1.7

Last edited by luftfluss; 12-28-2017 at 03:27 PM.
12-28-2017, 05:32 PM - 10 Likes   #5
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
I find this sort of thread super inspiring
Me too !! Seeing some members " favorite " pix in one place is great. Hope you enjoy a couple of mine.

12-28-2017, 05:52 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Me too !! Seeing some members " favorite " pix in one place is great. Hope you enjoy a couple of mine.
In your final shot, is that ant milking an aphid?
12-28-2017, 06:30 PM   #7
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
In your final shot, is that ant milking an aphid?
I hope not...........................that would be NSFW !!! Probably trying to pick it up to take it back to the nest for entrée.
12-28-2017, 07:21 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
I hope not...........................that would be NSFW !!! Probably trying to pick it up to take it back to the nest for entrée.
Some ants stroke the aphids because that stimulates the aphids to produce honeydew for the ants to consume. I've read about this but never seen it, so I was wondering if you had.

12-28-2017, 07:27 PM - 1 Like   #9
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Some ants stroke the aphids because that stimulates the aphids to produce honeydew for the ants to consume. I've read about this but never seen it, so I was wondering if you had.
I had not heard that before buddy, so maybe it IS milking the aphid. Gotta love these forums, I learn something new EVERY day.
12-28-2017, 08:41 PM - 9 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

In past years it was hard to weed through all the possible choices. This year not so much - I shot far less the last year or so.

Got up early for the Griffith observatory. I had already walked up the fire road for the shot of the sunrise behind LA and the observatory.

A 2-1/2 mile hike in Malibu Creek State Park will land you at the former location of the MASH TV show. There are a few rusted-out vehicles, a small wooden shack with set photos, some orientation plaques, and this signpost.

Letter of condolences, and Purple Heart at the Lyon air museum at John Wayne airport.

Worker at the flower fields in Carlsbad.

A bud at the flower fields.

Kids playing with B-24 Liberator machine guns during a "tarmac day" at the Lyon air museum.

In Los Angeles near Dodger stadium is Carroll Avenue, the 1300-block of which has many preserved Victorian houses and is designated a historical monument. Michael Jackson's "Thriller" house is across the street, as is the house from the "Charmed" TV show.

At the annual chalk-drawing contest in Pasadena.

The Lyon air museum has a small permanent collection of ground vehicles, including Hitler's M-B parade wagon, and Steve McQueen's Panther sidecar. This Mercedes 300SL Gullwing was part of a visiting collection. The museum has big windows, a whitish floor, and a balcony. Yay.

Oceanfest in San Clemente. Smallish waves this time.

1966 Mustang Fastback at the LA arboretum, which annually hosts a dozen or so cars at a themed show ("Ponies/Spyders/Birds in the Garden", etc.)

1967 Citroën ID19 used in ads featuring actress Gina Lollobrigita and the many suitcases the car holds.

Almost forgot the Christmas season. Blue Palms.

Last edited by SpecialK; 12-04-2018 at 06:47 PM.
12-29-2017, 05:13 AM - 10 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

Location: Out in the sticks,Suffolk,UK(or SE Asia,if I'm lucky!)
I'll go with a B&W theme, K5ii and DA16-85WR(mostly)

Reed beds at Snape

St David's Cathedral, Wales

Wilf on the beach, South West Wales

Dandelion Clock

Clouds over the Deben

Poppy Bokeh

Hollyhock

Wat Arun, Bangkok

Long-tail boat, Koh Phangan

Rocky shore, Koh Phangan

Koh Tao Dawn

Frost patterns

12-29-2017, 05:36 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hmm - I've uploaded over 500 pix to Flickr alone this year - might take a couple of minutes to sort out
12-29-2017, 08:37 AM - 10 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In 2017, I decided to try a much bolder approach to processing. I was curious to see how others would react to the images, in terms of likes on this Forum, and faves, views and Explores on Flickr, and it seemed to work. Below are photos plus comments for my favourite photo from each month; for a change in 2018 I might go back to basics and post in the raw.

January - The photo that finally persuaded me to stop using the DA35 Macro Ltd solely as a Macro lens. This photo looks nothing like the sooc version - radical changes in colour tones, contrasts, light and shades. A bit of a pp deceit?

February - A fun photo to line up, but I was also nervous of messing up the focus/exposure at the time with my K28/3.5. Added extra contrast/saturation, almost to a cartoonish level, but Flickr liked it.

March - This was taken in full-daylight with a DA10-17. The roof line looked good, so I blacked out the windows etc., and turned it into a silhouette.

April - A silver Helios 44, M39, image. A lovely lens to use on what I fondly remember as a lovely Easter family day. The highlights in this one are actually toned down...

May - The camera's eye, or 15 blades in a Pentacon 135/2.8 snapped with a Macro-Takumar 50/4. A lot of pp needed to show off those blades down the barrel of the lens.

June - A friend's fox red Labrador puppy. Taken with a DA40 XS, with major adjustments for tricky lighting.

July - A statue in Cartagena in Spain, by a DA10-17mm. The sky/clouds were blown, the statue was too dark, so I went for it on Nik's Efex Silver.

August - The photo (with a Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 50/2.8) that started off a fascination for adding a vignette to close-up shots that lasted for the rest of the year.

September - A lens with pixie dust. An early version Helios 40, photographed by its little cousin; a Helios 44-2. My kids thought I was a kid, lining up some Christmas tree lights in the glass on the kitchen table. When they saw the response on Flickr (it had over 85,000 views on the first day), they were a little more impressed, but not much. One of my ambitions in 2018 is to take a top12 image with this lens.

October - OzzRod of this Forum and I had been having a correspondence about the number Lego piece photos that were being Explored. As a joke I set up this photo of a "fake moon shot", using a small toy figure, some self-raising flour, and a mobile phone torch. (With a Macro-Takumar 50/4). To my infinite amusement, the photo rocketed to 8th place on Flickr's best for the day. Up with the Gods of Photography. The whole process still makes me LOL.

November - Sadly my K-3 had an end-of life experience in November. However, it got me re-acquainted with the K-01, and a reminder of just how good the jpeg colours can be from this camera with a DA40mm XS.

December - Santa gave me a K-1, and this is the fourth photo I processed and posted on Flickr with the camera. Delighted with the details/resolution the camera delivers raw (with a very early Super-Takumar 50/1.4); allowing for a decent crop and contrast adjustments. And pleased others liked the photo enough to make it my first K-1 Explore.

12-29-2017, 08:53 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by utak Quote
This photo looks nothing like the sooc version - radical changes in colour tones, contrasts, light and shades. A bit of a pp deceit?
Not having seen the scene or the sooc, this looks totally real to me - I don't hold with sooc - I'd much rather see a human mind's response to a scene that a computerised image processor's.

You've had a good year letting go a bit on thr processing - and, thanks too Santa, 2018 can only get better, too
12-29-2017, 10:24 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by utak Quote
As a joke I set up this photo of a "fake moon shot"...
I like it. I do not do Flickr.