Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2008, 04:53 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
It's been almost a week...

...so how's it going? It's going pretty well for me. I've actually learned quite a bit in the last week in regards to how great my 55-300 lens is, as well as smoothing out my workflow procedure some, so PP won't be so bad. I also learned that cat hair and camera gear don't mix.

I've been keeping up with the pics in the pic thread and you've been posting some great ones. Keep up the good work.

I've got some things I want to share about my experience with the 55-300 this week, but I'll put those in the pic forum, along with some more pics from Monday's shooting trip. I finally finished PPing all of them.

I'm already feeling more at peace, knowing I am capable of controlling my LBA. I still look at the postings in the lens section and the items for sale in the Marketplace, but I don't feel an overwhelming urge to buy anything.

I'll be getting 2/3 of my OT money in my next pay period (9/19), with the rest coming on 10/3's direct deposit. I am looking forward to fattening up my savings account with it.

Heather

09-05-2008, 05:11 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Have fun guys, I'm out!

James
09-05-2008, 06:31 PM   #18
Veteran Member

In the words of Kramer Cozmo "I'm Out"!!!! I want either the DA300 or BIGMA and will have one before the year end. Have fun all
09-05-2008, 07:11 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
LOL I'm not out yet, but I think I will be before the year ends - as soon as Pentax reintroduces their rebates (I hope they will).

This week playing with 50mm and 135mm lenses made me realize that this focal range is a great use to me, so DA* 50-135mm - here I come!!!

I'll continue participate, just as a learning tool though

Regards,
D

09-05-2008, 08:34 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Count me in.

I have a very flexible and workable kit that is compatible with both my digital and film bodies and am getting results that I am very happy with. There is simply no need for more purchases!

I assume the rules allow replacement of equipment that simply breaks or wears out? My old consumer-grade Slik tripod is on its last legs. (Well actually, it is the head that is toast. The legs are fine...)

I will add an additional personal element to my pledge. I promise that I will post at least one picture per week and an equal number of pictures from each of my lenses between now and the end of December. Let me see...two pics per lens between now and then should do the trick.

Steve
09-05-2008, 11:22 PM   #21
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

A little tougher for me but I'll join along these lines. If a lens has an issue and I need to replace it (my Sigma 70-200 f2.8 was dropped and may be dead), I'll have to get the replacement. I'll doing a lot of paid work and can't be without any of the lenses for long.

As for other gear, That's not part of this idea i don't think. I need replacements on somethings periodically.

Good idea and I did this several months ago. Gets you bettter in touch with your gear.

Now I'm starting my own "club" of members that are drawn into posting to the negative threads and speculation threads that turn negative. I will be the first member to try not to respond and let those threads die.
09-06-2008, 03:27 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Whew Heather! Thats a big call your making.....I would love to join in but Iam thinking of those poor families of all those camera store owners and salespeople that are going to starve this Christmas...all because we, Pentaxians!!, curbed our LBA tendencies.

This is going to hurt a lot of people Heather, I predict children starving, hell, even factories in China will close because of this ; in fact...

....I PROTEST....stop this madness Heather before untold damage is done to the worlds economy...I implore you, think of the children!!!! PLEASE?

See ya.

09-06-2008, 07:41 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I assume the rules allow replacement of equipment that simply breaks or wears out? My old consumer-grade Slik tripod is on its last legs. (Well actually, it is the head that is toast. The legs are fine...)
Steve
Steve--I'm glad you've joined our merry band of recovering LBAs.

Replacement of broken gear is no problem. Remember, as to whether or not you choose to buy any other gear besides lenses is up to you. In my case, I've decided to keep other non-lens gear purchases to a minimum, but not completely eliminate them because things do come up. I know one thing I'm going to need is some sort of wrap-around strap padding for my Tamrac Velocity 7 bag. I love the bag, but there's simply not enough padding on the strap; when I carried it around on a shoot on Monday, my right shoulder was rather sore by the time I was done. I'll need to get this by early next month, as I've got a short photo excursion trip planned and I want to take that bag, but I don't want an achy shoulder.

Heather
09-06-2008, 09:18 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
A little tougher for me but I'll join along these lines. If a lens has an issue and I need to replace it (my Sigma 70-200 f2.8 was dropped and may be dead), I'll have to get the replacement. I'll doing a lot of paid work and can't be without any of the lenses for long.
If you're actually getting paid to shoot and you need to replace a broken lens or body, then by all means, replace it. Just don't add anything new to your collection.

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Now I'm starting my own "club" of members that are drawn into posting to the negative threads and speculation threads that turn negative. I will be the first member to try not to respond and let those threads die.
Great idea! I'm all for friendly debate, but when it gets ugly and/or personal, then that turns me off. One of my concerns is what kind of an impression are we making on new people who are browsing the site and are trying to decide whether or not Pentax is right for them?

Besides simply not repsonding, another idea I had is to respond by stating something to the effect that the argument has gotten stupid and encouraging the mods to put an end to it. If people want to argue with each other, then they can do it by PM or email--just leave the rest of us out of it.

Heather
09-20-2008, 10:04 PM   #25
Forum Member

I am IN! I think buying 9 lenses since April of this year (when I got my K200D) would be considered LBA. So I am putting a stop on it now by joining this noble thread Besides, i've got 10mm-300mm covered quite thoroughly.

Time to go out there an enjoy those lenses!
09-21-2008, 06:37 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
K200D, I should say that you have a good collection of lenses.

Lately, I've been thinking more about primes. I currently have 3 and I'd like to get better at using them. The A100/4 macro is my lens for this week, so it'll be interesting to see what I'll be able to do with it.

As we all know, quality zooms are great, but their downfall is weight and the space they take up in a camera bag. There is just over 3 months left in this challenge, so there's time for me to see what I can do with my primes. You never know, I may trade at least a couple of my zooms in for primes once this is all said and done.

I hope everybody is continuing to do well with the challenge. I'm seeing some great pics in the pics thread.

Heather
09-22-2008, 12:52 AM   #27
Damn Brit

I admire your resolve people but I couldn't help noticing that there has been quite a frenzy of lens buying since this thread has started. I confess, I am also a sinner

Regardless of the demons among you, GOOD LUCK to those of you taking part in this fast.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 09-22-2008 at 06:52 PM.
09-23-2008, 08:53 AM   #28

Damn, if I woulda seen this thread earlier.. But I'm not quite done with my LBA yet
09-24-2008, 02:40 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I implore you all again...think of the children ...please!!!

PS: given the economic events of the past week.... I hope you are all happy now...see what you have done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
10-03-2008, 05:41 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
How are my fellow recovering LBAs doing?

If you've been reading some of my other threads, I did spend some money on a new K200D, which I'm already liking a lot. Just today, I picked up my new tripod, a Bogen Manfrotto 190XPROB; now my 486RC2 head isn't lonely anymore (since I sold my other tripod) I've got 3 days off next week, so both will be getting plenty of use. I've also added a monopod head to my BM 680 monopod.

See, Mallee Boy, I'm not hurting the economy any--I'm just not buying lenses right now.

On the subject of lenses, I've pretty much made up my mind that once this challenge is over, I will be upgrading my MF lenses to AF ones (FA50/1.4 and DFA100/2.8 macro). I'm also giving serious consideration to selling the 12-24 and replacing it with a more sensibly priced lens like the 16-45. As little as I use it, it really doesn't make sense to have that much money tied up in one lens. The 16-45 is also smaller and would make a great walk-around lens for the times when I don't want to lug the 28-75 around with me.

Just recently, I did an ExposurePlot scan of some of my more recent pics and I was a bit surprised to find that the 2 most common lengths that I use in my shooting are 35mm and 50mm (approx. 50 & 75mm with the crop factor), even when I'm using zoom lenses. I guess that means that my shooting style tends to mimic my field of vision under normal circumstances. With that, I may eventually pick up a F35-70/3.5-4.5 as an inexpensive walkaround lens for the K200.

So what are the rest of you learning through this process?

Heather