Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2008, 01:39 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
LBA challenge--Mission impossible...or possible?

I'm putting out the challenge to all of you, especially those of you who suspect that you have too many lenses and can't seem to stop buying them, to stop buying lenses. Yeah, that's right--should you accept this challenge, starting Monday, September 1, you will not buy any more lenses until after December 31. You will use the ones that you already have and actually go out and take some pictures with them.

Monochrome has helped me come up with some easy ground rules:
  • Ladies' and Gentlemen's Honor.
  • No lens buying between September 1st and December 31st.
  • Consider not buying ANYTHING - even bags and filters.
  • Take and post pictures with the lenses that you already have, at least weekly.
  • Link them to the current pics thread.
  • Offer C&C to other posters.
  • Keep track of what lenses you use.
  • Consider selling lenses not used during the challenge
  • Getting lenses and other gear as Christmas (or birthday) gifts is OK! In the unlikely event that my husband or parents were to present me with a K20 for Christmas, then I'm definitely not turning it down!

One thing that I want to clarify is that if you've ordered gear before September 1st, but haven't gotten it yet, then that's OK--just don't order anything after August 31.

So that this thread doesn't get too full of pics, I'm going to be setting up a separate thread each month for posting the pics themselves. We can use this thread for sharing ideas, tips, and anything else that will support our efforts.

Our motto is a quote from a Sheryl Crow song:
"It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got."

In that spirit, let's use what we already have and get to know it better. Once January rolls around, it'll be interesting to see how many people find their kit is satisfactory, find that they have a gap that they need to fill, or find that they have too much.

Let the challenge begin!
Heather

Last edited by heatherslightbox; 08-31-2008 at 02:58 PM.
08-31-2008, 02:12 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm in

Well done, Heather - I'm in!

Y'all don't forget this is more about using what we have than about not buying.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/33651-shoot-le...eam-about.html

- don't forget to check out and post on the Challenge Thread.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games/35972-lba-challenge...pics-here.html

Last edited by monochrome; 08-31-2008 at 09:09 PM.
08-31-2008, 02:19 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Count me in too! I have one magnifying viewfinder loupe coming next week, but ordered that earlier...
08-31-2008, 02:41 PM   #4

and what about christmas presents? It would not be polite to tell those people to keep their presents!

08-31-2008, 02:55 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
That's one thing I forgot to mention. If somebody wants to give you a lens or some other gear for Christmas, then that's OK. I'm already working on compiling my Christmas wish list which will be mostly camera gear, mostly under $100.

I'll make a note of it in the OP since you probably aren't the only one wondering about this.

Thanks!
Heather
08-31-2008, 06:04 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
With it being Sunday and having attended church this morning, a couple of things were brought up there that apply to us--temptation and self-discipline. Our congregation just finished a 40-day fast (no, we didn't all quit eating for 40 days) and my experiences with this fast are easily translated to this effort. Keep in mind that many religious traditions see value in the fast as an aid to personal and spiritual growth, as well as self-discipline.

This challenge is a fast of sorts. We are fasting from buying more gear (or at least lenses) in an effort to get a grip on our LBA. We will be learning self-discipline in our efforts to fight off LBA temptation. In turn, this will produce personal growth, as well as fatter bank accounts and smaller credit card balances.

Fasts are not easy, as you will be faced with plenty of temptations to deviate from your goal. That's why it's important for us to support each other and keep our focus (no pun intended).

One good idea that I got from Hin's original LBA challenge on photo.net is to put a sum of money away each week, like $10. I counted up the weeks in this challenge and there will be 17, so that would mean $170. In my case, I'm thinking about getting either a K20 or K30 sometime next year, so any extra money I can throw into savings will help. Ideally, I'd like to have enough money to buy one or the other and keep the K10 as a backup.

I encourage you to think about all the possiblities that saving all that money could open up to you. Maybe it is a new lens, a new body, a great tripod, or even your next vacation.

Heather

PS--I did discover that there was just one more thing I needed to get tonight before tomorrow's official start date--a Tamrac MAS case for my 12-24, as I can't fit it and my other 2 zooms into my Tamrac Velocity 7 bag, but the MAS lens case will attach to the side of the bag, so that I don't have to carry my bigger backpack whenever I want to carry the 12-24.

Last edited by heatherslightbox; 08-31-2008 at 06:13 PM.
08-31-2008, 07:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

i'm in..............
08-31-2008, 08:35 PM   #8
Igilligan

Ok I was gonna be in....

I had just bought a used FA 50 1.7 that I really did not need... and was thinking "that is the final LBA straw"... Another 50 mm lens!!!

But I have also been riding a very strange wave of death the last three weeks.

My best friends brother had a heart attack and died.
Then three days later a friend of mine from SF who was 49 years old, died of sepsis complications. Had a stomach ache on Wednesday and was gone on Sunday.
5 days later one of my co- workers who was 51 and had been with the company 25 years, was shot and killed at a wedding reception.
And then unbelievably 1 week later another co-worker has a stroke and dies...
It has been surreal to say the least.... These are 4 men who are all within six years of my age and they are gone... None had any serious health issues prior.

I support you all in your attempt to curtail your LBA, It is has been kind of out of control here too.... But with what I have seen lately... Life is too short not to have the toys you want when you want em! As long as no one is trading heat and food for steel and glass, I say go for it... LIFE IS TOO SHORT and sometimes it is WAY TOO SHORT!

Now for me the decision is K20 and DA50-135 or switch brands and head off in another direction... either way, I am gonna have new toys....

I have joined a gym after James had the Heart attack and I try to go every night for at least 45 minutes....
I have no other money sucking vices, so if my midlife crisis involves another camera and lens or five, a new computer, so be it.... It is still cheaper than a Corvette and a black Harley....

I am heading headlong into LBA... I will see you on the other side

LIVE, LOVE, and GET WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY... anything less, leaves you less happy...

Again good luck to you all.... PS this may be your first test, It was mine, I failed. Now I am off to the Gym

Last edited by Igilligan; 08-31-2008 at 09:21 PM.
08-31-2008, 09:06 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm in, Heather. I should point out that my sig list suggests that I don't go out and buy hog wild all that often. I'm still using (and learning the k10d ins and outs) two M lenses and an A lens. I would love to swap out the A for a DA* 200 ... but I won't! I have LBA, but treat it as a dream world idea.

I have given several photo courses here. One of the challenges I throw out is to take one (1) lens and use one (1) focal length if it is a zoom lens and use only that for a week. Bring me the pictures. It is amazing how much the pictures improve from one end of the film to another. Go for it guys and gals - you can do it!
08-31-2008, 11:24 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I'm going to lay this out now:

I'm pursuing a bag, tripod, and an umbrella/reflector for my flash.

Otherwise, I'm straight and in
09-01-2008, 05:24 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Actually, there are a couple of non-lens items that are at the top of my list of gear to buy--the Lightroom 2.0 upgrade and a Metz 48 flash. The flash I can hold off on, but I may have a hard time holding off on the LR upgrade.

Especially if you don't have what it is that you want to get and you know it would help you better utilize the rest of your kit, then by all means, go ahead and get it.

Heather
09-01-2008, 06:41 AM   #12

Lens Buying Chastity/Celibacy

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
I'm putting out the challenge to all of you, especially those of you who suspect that you have too many lenses and can't seem to stop buying them, to stop buying lenses. Yeah, that's right--should you accept this challenge, starting Monday, September 1, you will not buy any more lenses until after December 31. You will use the ones that you already have and actually go out and take some pictures with them.
LBC, the cure to LBA. A simple but fantastic idea.

Count me in Heather. I will even live in the nearest monastery if necessary (no access to EBay there). Now, I need to buy a monk's garb.

Seriously, I now could see the benefits of being free from the urge of having the perfect kit.
09-01-2008, 07:15 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm in Heather!

Though I think that for the most part, my LBA is "under control" for now, this would give me a chance to get to know my lenses a litter better...

I sold few "not in use" lenses in the past months, one I bought back

So for this challenge - for the month of September, I will use one lens a week exclusively, starting with the one I never "felt in love" - FA 50mm f1.4

Regards,
D
09-01-2008, 11:56 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I think I'm going with the 1 lens per week deal, too. When I'm dealing with the zooms, I won't limit myself to one focal length since I feel it restricts me in getting to know the whole range better.

I just got back from a photo excursion to Cedar Key, Florida, which is a little community on an island on the Gulf of Mexico. I've been there quite a few times before and I love the laid back atmosphere. One thing that is unique about this community is that they don't allow any chain resturants to operate there, so you get to eat something different from the usual fare.

I've got to go through my pics, but I'll be posting some later on today, if not tomorrow.

Heather
09-01-2008, 02:11 PM   #15
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep, I'm in too - almost...
LBA's no problem for me, it's the posting one pic a week that may get me.
Just being slammed at work - getting behind my cam is a luxury at the moment... :ugh: