Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 64 Likes Search this Thread
01-29-2018, 11:22 AM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm in. It got busier than i expected and I took on too much to do both challenges this month. But I think i can handle one challenge for Feb.

01-30-2018, 08:57 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As I provided in January, from my books on suggestions for photo projects. I'll toss out four more suggestions on weekly themes from one of them, for your consideration - assuming we are going to do weekly themes again. Once again, use these (or not) as you see fit.

1. Desperate Measures - This one is rather interesting in that I think we face this many times on these challenges. Here is the setup from the book, "If there's one thing that sorts the sheep from the goats in photographic terms it's trying to produce successful images when all the odds are stacked against you, and you are facing bad weather, flat light, maybe rain thrown in for good measure, or an uninspiring location....The question is how do you respond?" I suppose if we do this, it would be good to state what that challenge was and how we made the best of it.

2. Extend Your Range - this theme is to produce HDR images, or alternatively extend the range of the camera in some fashion beyond a single shot.

3. Face Value - shoot face images from random people, not portraits, but candid shots of strangers. [personally, I'm terrified of doing this but...this is a challenge.]

4. Food for Thought - images of food.

Again, these are suggestions.These come from '50 Photo Projects' by Lee Frost by the way.
01-30-2018, 11:48 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice ideas.
01-30-2018, 12:11 PM   #19
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
1. Desperate Measures - This one is rather interesting in that I think we face this many times on these challenges. Here is the setup from the book, "If there's one thing that sorts the sheep from the goats in photographic terms it's trying to produce successful images when all the odds are stacked against you, and you are facing bad weather, flat light, maybe rain thrown in for good measure, or an uninspiring location....The question is how do you respond?" I suppose if we do this, it would be good to state what that challenge was and how we made the best of it.
But... this is my theme 4 months of the year

The hard part here, though, would be if you're in an inspiring place with perfect lighting and lots of great subjects - and you have to turn your back on them in search of something fitting for the theme

01-30-2018, 02:26 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
But... this is my theme 4 months of the year

The hard part here, though, would be if you're in an inspiring place with perfect lighting and lots of great subjects - and you have to turn your back on them in search of something fitting for the theme
Yes, over the years of participating and following the SIC challenge, yes it's been others and my theme many times.
01-31-2018, 01:39 PM - 2 Likes   #21
Pentaxian

Itching to jump back in for February, this past month has been a complete bust photographically speaking despite my best intentions, so the added pressure of the challenge is a good thing.

Hopefully expect a mix of film and digital, I have a five pack of portra 400 I really want to try out as well as various low ISO black and white films for use in the pinhole.
01-31-2018, 07:36 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm in. Don't want slack back off now that I've got January done.

01-31-2018, 08:34 PM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

" Desperation provides inspiration", I always say.
02-01-2018, 03:26 AM   #24
Pentaxian

I might jump in..will se about it today.
02-01-2018, 08:17 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm in. Hopefully I'll be a bit more dedicated on trying to get out almost every day. The unfortunate thing is that there is not a lot of outside stuff happening in Feb in NY. That said I do live in one of the largest cities in the world...
NaCl(laziness isn't an excuse)H2O
02-01-2018, 10:36 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sort of wondering if we are going to do themes this month. Haven't seen anything definite on this. Yes, I tossed out some possibilities but that's all they were. Any thoughts on this or after January do folks just want to do their own thing? I'm good with whatever.
02-01-2018, 11:38 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sort of wondering if we are going to do themes this month. Haven't seen anything definite on this. Yes, I tossed out some possibilities but that's all they were. Any thoughts on this or after January do folks just want to do their own thing? I'm good with whatever.
Happy with the four suggested from my viewpoint. They sounded quite interesting.
02-01-2018, 11:41 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Hear, hear. Let's roll with your suggestions.
02-01-2018, 11:55 AM - 1 Like   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
Hear, hear. Let's roll with your suggestions.
Ok, thanks. Hmmmm....this may be a case of be careful what you ask for...

Ok so it's:

Desperate Measures - February 1 thru 4 - "If there's one thing that sorts the sheep from the goats in photographic terms it's trying to produce successful images when all the odds are stacked against you, and you are facing bad weather, flat light, maybe rain thrown in for good measure, or an uninspiring location....The question is how do you respond?" [indicate what problem you had to overcome]

Extend Your Range - February 5 thru 11 - produce HDR images, or alternatively extend the range of the camera in some fashion beyond a single shot.

Face Value - February 12 thru 18 - shoot face images from random people, not portraits, but candid shots of strangers.

Food for Thought - February 19 thru 25 - images of food.

and ? Selfies/belfies February 26 thru 28?

Last edited by blackcloudbrew; 02-01-2018 at 12:12 PM.
02-01-2018, 12:18 PM   #30
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Ok, thanks. Hmmmm....this may be a case of be careful what you ask for...