Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2008, 02:11 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
LBA challenge: September--post your pics here

While it's not quite September yet, I thought I'd get this post started with a few pics I've taken recently with the lenses I already have:

One of my cats with the A50/1.7:

A very close-up with the DA55-300/Promaster 1.7x TC combo. I had to have been at least 6 feet away from this figurine that was sitting on the shelf in my office:

I caught this dandelion on the way to work with my Tammy 28-75:

Hope to have some more in the next couple of days.
Heather

08-31-2008, 03:01 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Westhampton College - University of Richmond

K10D and FA35/2. My youngest daughter will spend much of her academic career in this building - and my wife and I (having successfully raised up three) are dating again!

These are from my trip to Virginia last week - so I'm posting them before the challenge actually starts. Lens of the week for Week One will be the A35~105/3.5 - a venerable lens, but a brute to handhold. First exercise will be to practice snap focus.

C&C welcome and requested on this thread

#1 - Looking at this now there should be a person sitting on a bench.

#2 - I really don't know why this is f/3.2; it should be stopped down.

#3 - After installing our younger daughter at college we visited our older daughter, who lives in Washington, D.C. Taken from an open-top tour bus at a red light. I know some of you don't like touristy monument shots, but the sky was amazing that day. I don't know how to fix the perspective issue.

Last edited by monochrome; 09-01-2008 at 03:24 PM.
08-31-2008, 11:16 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's officially September, so I'll post these, made around 7:30pm. Yeah, it was getting dark and my buddies' fiancee was trying to show off her new $400(!) Sony bridge.

Well, the Pentax doesn't like that, on its home turf no less So I ran in and grabbed the Sears f/1.4 and a short M42 extension tube (found em ), and later the SB-24 flash and Cactus gear.

No real artistic merit, looks out of focus since the plant was moving...but I like the "dreaminess" of f/1.4...the reason I waited for an f/1.4 lens:

And, and...I was reading Strobist the other day and wanted to try longer shutters with flash. Just so happened she has these sun reflectors for the car with a silver backing. Since I don't have an umbrella or reflector (yet, since I don't always have someone to be my flash stand), I gave it a shot. Worked great! Reflector off to camera right, flash bounced sort of "at it" lol, f/2 I think:

See...you can switch it up with stuff laying around
09-01-2008, 10:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

This one I like myself, taken with one of my addictive purchases...

09-01-2008, 10:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ok, so this is week one for me... Using only FA 50 f1.4, one of the lenses that never felt any "love" from me, I think largely due to the fact that it does not focus close enough for my liking...

Mostly f1.4-1.6:

Richard

Ceaser

Some shots from around the garden/yard f1.4 with Hoya +2 filter

This one with Hoya +4

Kitchen at night f1.6

Regards,
D
09-01-2008, 03:27 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
This one I like myself, taken with one of my addictive purchases...
Very nice image Gawan. I also like it. How can a bird have a pensive look? but ir matches the flat background - sharp and detailed feathers on the pectorals - was the focus point on the eye?
09-01-2008, 03:30 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Duh_Vinci Quote
Ok, so this is week one for me... Using only FA 50 f1.4, one of the lenses that never felt any "love" from me, I think largely due to the fact that it does not focus close enough for my liking...
Richard: I am always amazed at what a good photographer can coax out of a good lens - Excellent (I think) use of narrow depth of field in the yard/garden shots - exhibition quality (by my standard). By your comment I assume your preference is macro - did you use any reflectors for additional light?

Kitchen At Night could be a poster!

Thanks for posting - Paul
09-01-2008, 04:47 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Thank you for the kind words Paul, much appreciated!

It is a fine lens indeed, and the right lens for the right subject, but as you noted, I somehow favor closups - I find much interest in the subjects that we often overlook - details, patterns, textures... So over the years, I've developed this "need" for closer focusing lenses, DFA 100mm macro is pretty much "permanently" glued to K100D Perhaps that is why this f1.4 lens hardly got any use.

Even this evening, I went for a little walk, brought camera with me, and yes, only one lens FA 50mm, boy how many times I wish I had macro lens with me, habit I guess But I'm staying strong! I will find good uses for this fine lens!

Regards,
D

P.S. Paul - no reflectors on any shots. Apples - view from the bedroom through the hallway to the kitchen with recessed light just above/in front of the tray, so dark hallway creates this blacked out surroundings.

09-01-2008, 07:08 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
D--I love those cat pics! Those cats are gorgeous.

Heather
09-02-2008, 03:58 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks Heather! They are good boys with very different characters!

Ok, still hanging on to one lens (all with +2 Hoya):

Regards,
D
09-02-2008, 06:31 AM   #11
Veteran Member

LBA challenge

mooring line-Tarpopn Springs_ Tamron 17-50,- my most recent lba indulgence
Attached Images

09-02-2008, 06:39 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I don't know how to fix the perspective issue.

[/CENTER]
If you have Photoshop you can do that through Edit > Transform... you have to unlock the layer first tho. Use either the 'Perspective' or 'Skew' options to untilt the monument.

Nice shots folks. Here's one I took with my trusty Sigma 100-300 last Friday.
09-02-2008, 10:58 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Very nice image Gawan. I also like it. How can a bird have a pensive look? but ir matches the flat background - sharp and detailed feathers on the pectorals - was the focus point on the eye?
Don't remember for sure, either the eye or the nose (can you say nose in a case of a bird?)
09-02-2008, 03:45 PM   #14
Veteran Member

18-55 I kit lens
35mm@f8

super tak non SMC 50mm 1.4
@f5.6

sonagar 200mm m42
@f8

more coming tomorrow, if I remember to take the camera home with me...
09-02-2008, 05:19 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Finally, I've started going through my pics from the trip to Cedar Key yesterday. One thing I have learned is to always take the blower and blow out the body and the lens before starting to shoot, as I had quite a few nice shots ruined by a hair in the pics--cat hair and camera gear don't mix.

Regardless, I've already gained a new appreciation for the 55-300, which the vast majority of the shots were taken yet (I did get just a few with the DA35 when I needed a little bit wider). That sucker is sharp! Also, the colors came out very well, I thought.

I'm still working through them, so they're not all up for your viewing pleasure yet, but keep checking the following link throughout the week:
hwblanks/Labor Day 2008 at Cedar Key - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Here are a few from that bunch:

Enjoy!
Heather