Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2018, 09:00 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Single In February 2018

Welcome everyone to the Single In February 2018 Challenge!

Theme days: (all on Wednesdays, this month):

Wednesday 7th February: BACKLIT

Wednesday 14th February: BLUR/BOKEH

Wednesday 21st February: B/SELFIES

Wednesday, 28th February: MULTIPLE EXPOSURE

Aim of the Game:To use the same lens each day for a month, posting one picture captured each day with that lens. The picture must be captured with a Pentax lens coupled to a camera body of your choice (including Pentax/Ricoh), a non-Pentax lens provided it is coupled only to a Pentax or Ricoh body, or a Pentax-Ricoh point&shoot camera. (Taking other pictures with other cameras/lenses is fine, but these won’t be eligible for this Challenge).

Commenting: Posting your pictures allows other participants to comment on them. Conversely, it’s hoped that you will comment on those of other members. Please don’t be shy if you don’t have much photographic experience or are a Forum newbie - your personal reactions to photographs are as valid as anyone else’s. It’s a very friendly group and with regular commenting, you’ll soon be enjoying the camaraderie.

The rewards: It’s great fun. You’ll learn heaps about how your chosen lens can perform and you’ll see what other members achieve with their selected lenses - sometimes the same one you’ve chosen. In the comment banter you’ll pick up many tips on photographic technique generally, including post processing. As the month progresses it often becomes quite demanding (it’s a challenge, remember) but you’ll always be encouraged by other participants. Worried about LBA? - this game doesn’t help you fight it!

How to participate:

1. First you need to join the Group to be able to post pictures; you only have to do this once. The group’s name is “Monthly Photo Challenges”. You’ll find a clickable link on that forum page to join.

2. You’ll need to have your pictures stored in an on-line album. This could be the Pentax Forum, or others such as Flickr, Picassa etc. You actually post a link to the picture in your album into the daily picture thread.

** If you are linking to a Pentax Forum album, you’ll find advice on how to post elsewhere in the Forum and in the FAQs below. One of the Challenge’s stalwarts, patjp, has also prepared a short video on how to do this - it’s on YouTube (Singlein.m4v)

** If you are posting a link to Flickr, just click on the sharing icon below your selected picture and a window will open displaying the BB code. Copy it and paste into the Single in (month) Challenge thread in the Pentax Forum.

Each day, you’ll see a new thread of pictures grow and by clicking on each you should be redirected to the photographer’s parent album where you will be able to add a comment and read those of others. When you post each day’s picture to the Pentax Forum, please specify the camera/lens combination underneath your picture eg K5 & DA15 Ltd - this makes it easy for others to note what combo you’re using.

The thread you’re painstakingly reading now is the Discussion Thread for Game > Single in (month).

This is separate to the picture posting thread referred to above and you’ll probably want to subscribe to the Discussion one to keep up with activities and develop a rapport with Challenge members. It’s the place where you can ask questions, offer advice, share concerns, suggest improvements, and often just participate in general banter related to this month’s challenge.

So there it is. It is easier than it might seem at first. If you miss a day, don’t worry. If you have any problems, please ask. We’re a very friendly, forgiving, international bunch. Come and try!

FAQs: Finally, Zorglub has kindly posted a FAQ collection here …. The FAQ - Monthly Photo Challenges - PentaxForums.com

Video below was created by patjp

Attached Images

Last edited by babywriter; 01-27-2018 at 09:10 AM.
01-27-2018, 09:29 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Perhaps this month?
01-27-2018, 09:57 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Perhaps this month?
Go for it!

Still deciding on lens here. Strangely enough, my choice will probably hinge on filter compatibility this time around; I have a bunch of 49mm colored filters, and a Cokin holder/filter combo to match, and I've been itching to try them out. So be ready for a lot of monochrome.
01-27-2018, 10:42 AM   #4
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm in. I'll keep on shooting thru the M series primes. After fifty it's time for tele. I believe I'll go with M135/3.5.

01-27-2018, 11:00 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Using filters and a BW conversion can result in some incredilbe contrast, depending on the subject.
01-27-2018, 12:26 PM - 1 Like   #6
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

in... but gonna waffle for a couple of days on what lens....
01-27-2018, 03:05 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Single in February 2018

Hello fellow Pentax users;

I am kind of a newbie to the Pentax forums.
Just got back into photography about 7 months ago.
Started back up with my old K1000 and three lenses.
If you look at my signature you get the feeling that I may be coming down with LBA and CBA
Always felt that I should use a single lens for awhile to get to know the in's and out's of it,
So this is a good excuse to finally do it.
Plan on starting with the DA*16-50 which has been converted to screw drive.
Body will be the K5II.
Now I just need to figure out how to link a photo to the thread from my photo album.

I may use this post to experiment with but will delete the photo when I figure it out, if no one minds.

Clarence

01-27-2018, 03:35 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Well, after Decembers' epic fail I'll give Feb a try with the 24-70 on a K-1.
01-27-2018, 06:58 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.perkins Quote
Hello fellow Pentax users;

I am kind of a newbie to the Pentax forums.
Just got back into photography about 7 months ago.
Started back up with my old K1000 and three lenses.
If you look at my signature you get the feeling that I may be coming down with LBA and CBA
Always felt that I should use a single lens for awhile to get to know the in's and out's of it,
So this is a good excuse to finally do it.
Plan on starting with the DA*16-50 which has been converted to screw drive.
Body will be the K5II.
Now I just need to figure out how to link a photo to the thread from my photo album.

I may use this post to experiment with but will delete the photo when I figure it out, if no one minds.

Clarence
Welcome! Glad to have you - you'll find this group to be a knowledgeable and supportive bunch.

If you need any help in terms of posting photos, feel free to message me anytime. I'm happy to help.
01-28-2018, 10:37 AM   #10
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

When I joined the first time I made a separate Flickr account for the challenge after it was recommended for me. It make's commenting shots easy as most participants already have account there.
01-28-2018, 11:24 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I tried getting it to work like others have set up where when you click on the photo it links to your album.
Best I could do was insert the photo and just below the photo in red lettering is a clicky link that takes you to my album labeled "single in February 2018" here on the Pentax forum.
It looks like it will work, just a different way about it.

Clarence

Last edited by c.perkins; 01-29-2018 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Added test subject/photo.
01-28-2018, 03:11 PM - 1 Like   #12
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
in... but gonna waffle for a couple of days on what lens....

going to use the month as an evaluation of my copy of the DA L 55-300mm f4-5.8 ED; need to determine if I am going to keep her or replace her with a 70-200/2.8....

especially since I now have an FA* 300/4.5...

edit... edit... edit...

change of plans.... NOT using the DA L zoom; I spent the day yesterday shooting with it and, while acceptable, it is nowhere near as sharp wide open as a higher-end 70-200/2.8 lens should be...

moving forward with February's lens: SMC A 100mm f4 Macro.... in glancing through my Flickr albums, I have not used this fine lens nearly enough....

Last edited by pepperberry farm; 01-29-2018 at 05:27 AM.
01-29-2018, 02:40 PM   #13
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

I tried getting it to work like others have set up where when you click on the photo it links to your album.
You mean like this

The trick is to insert image first into message window. Then copy the location where you want to link it. Then choose IMG tags and everything in between. Then press insert link, paste link there and hit OK. The code in message window will look like this ( changed [ into ( to keep the text visible):

(URL="https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/album.php?albumid=12294&pictureid=114854")(IMG)(url)[url)https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/110022-c-perkins/albums/12294-single-february-2018/picture114854.jpg(/IMG)(/URL(/url[/url]))

EDIT: So same method you do to create hyperlink to text, but instead of the text you choose the code for the picture.

EDIT2: Flickr provide's ready BBCode which include the link, which make's it easier when it can be posted with single copy-paste. Thought there is additional info in the end which I always delete.

Last edited by iheiramo; 01-29-2018 at 02:50 PM.
01-29-2018, 05:34 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
You mean like this

The trick is to insert image first into message window. Then copy the location where you want to link it. Then choose IMG tags and everything in between. Then press insert link, paste link there and hit OK. The code in message window will look like this ( changed [ into ( to keep the text visible):

(URL="https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/album.php?albumid=12294&pictureid=114854")(IMG)(url)[url)https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/110022-c-perkins/albums/12294-single-february-2018/picture114854.jpg(/IMG)(/URL(/url[/url]))

EDIT: So same method you do to create hyperlink to text, but instead of the text you choose the code for the picture.

EDIT2: Flickr provide's ready BBCode which include the link, which make's it easier when it can be posted with single copy-paste. Thought there is additional info in the end which I always delete.
Yah, like that.

I do not find this option, (Then choose IMG tags and everything in between.)

Last edited by c.perkins; 01-29-2018 at 06:02 PM.
01-29-2018, 07:46 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yah, like that.

I do not find this option, (Then choose IMG tags and everything in between.)
We'll figure it out either way. Whatever works for you, works for us.

Ismo is right regarding Flickr - the bbcode is really handy for posting. It's also a pretty good place to post your processed photos in general - oodles of space, decent organizational tools, and a supportive and positive community. I'd recommend it if you haven't given it a look yet.