02-15-2018, 07:58 PM - 2 Likes   #16

02-15-2018, 08:09 PM - 5 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
02-16-2018, 10:59 AM - 3 Likes   #18
Pentaxian

I felt like the yellow building was getting lost in all the rest of the yellow in the picture - resorted to a bunch of hand painted colors and overlay. I really wanted to crop it so the building was bigger, but had a heckuva time deciding what to sacrifice - it's all so pretty! so... I left the full frame and opted for a wee bit of fisheye to try to make it seem bigger.

Great picture it's so pretty!!! Love it !!
Attached Images

02-19-2018, 09:09 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Pentaxian

I got rid of all the tourists and played with colours etc.

Last edited by tuggie76; 05-03-2018 at 01:23 PM.
02-21-2018, 03:17 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Going closer
02-21-2018, 03:19 AM - 1 Like   #21

Original Poster
noelcmn, i'm gonna let that last entry sneak right in, as this is the first chance ive gotten to get online after getting a bit sick. submissions are now closed, having originally been closed this time yesterday

i will retire to my chambers to adjudicate the entries. stay tuned!
02-23-2018, 04:09 AM - 3 Likes   #22

Original Poster
first off - what i didn't like about the picture.

the obvious one is the weather; can't help that. flat tones, blown-out sky... what to do?
next is the chromatic abberation in the top of the frame, a common issue shooting wide in scenes like this one.
then some minor gripes about framing, the tourists, and straightness, but these are all easily fixed.

what did i like about it?

well, japanese maples are extremely photogenic. they're one of the quinessential flora one associates with japan. as long as they're in the frame, there's hope! and of course, kinkakuji is a photogenic subject from almost any angle. so there was plenty to work with as far as saving this image was concerned.

the entrants, from first to last submission!

BigMackCam

i like this one because i instantly knew what you were doing with it. i'm seeing it as a late 19th century image of a famous temple, and you did a fantastic job. in my personal taste, i would have done a bit more to distort or lter the image to look as though it were from the time, perhaps something about less sharpness? but that's just my opinion really liked it.

johnhilvert

aaah, you decided to replace the sky - the first of a few. decent job, and i get what you were going for with the punchy colours! they're very pleasing to the eye, probably moreso than any of the other entries. however from a tenchnical POV, there is a bit too much haloing going on for it to be still in the realm of fooling the first time viewer.

D1N0

ah, i see what you did there. a great job, almost manga-like in appearance glowing, yet realistic colours. my only criticism is leaving the CA around the leaves in the top of the frame!

jcomely

i think you managed to add the most pop to the colours whilst retaining realism. the only thing i dont like is the effect onthe water of the lake!

iheiramo

aaah, something different with the crop, good. confident work. and i like the subdued, film-like colours. calming image.

glenn5995

this one is by far the best job of replacing the sky and the reflection it had on the lake. the colours are punchy without being unrealistic, and its a very pleasant scene to look at. my only gripe - based on personal taste - is framing the image :P

pentageek

i think i get what you were aiming for with this one, but the blur has way too sharp of a line of definition for me? if you give it a bit more depth im sure it would work better i liked the crop.

dlneubec

this one probably is the most realistic, colour wise. as punch as you can get on an overcast day without looking unreal. nice crop, but i'm less of a fan of the colouring of the sky

atupdate

there's always one, isnt there?! extra points for the laugh

BATMON

extra points for having the guts to go with a landscape crop and embracing the tourists. that branch hangs in just the right place. lovely work!

todd

a tighter crop still, and you clearly did some work to bring out the detail on tge buiding itself. nice one.

astonm

you went to a lot of trouble and thats evident in the final product. i agree with your sentiment that reducing the yellow around the bulding kind of made it blend in, and you did a good job with making it stand out but with realistic colours, nice job.

tuggie76

i love how you were able to get warmth out of the colours, and the crop works really well. my only beef is the haloing in the top branches, it's a bit too obvious and visible

noelcmn

the bravest crop of them all! i felt like this was a photograph i would see in a 60s issue of life magazine. the strong contrast and cool colours seemed to make me think of that era! and i love how you can see detail on the ground floor. (or maybe it reminds me of a scene from an early golden harvest film??)

The winners!

3rd place - BigMackCam

i really felt like i spotted this photo in a suitcase full of old ones at a flea market. well done mate

2nd place - todd

your comp was great. i like how it gives equal weighting to the building and the branch in the foreground. the colours were very realistic whilst still giving the image a wow factor!

1st place - glenn5995

always a tough job to replace a sky and you sir did it very very well. the atmospheric lighting you added made the image just warm enough to feel like a late summer sunset and the way you handled the water was very technically impressive. i'm overlooking the frame part - as i said its just a personal preference! so yeah, great work, showing off some technical abilities

02-23-2018, 04:14 AM   #23
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Excellent, detailed feedback - much appreciated, and fun to read. Thanks!

Congratulations to @glen5995 and @todd for well deserved 1st & 2nd place on the podium

This was a fun challenge!
02-23-2018, 05:12 AM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Excellent, detailed feedback - much appreciated, and fun to read. Thanks!

Congratulations to @glen5995 and @todd for well deserved 1st & 2nd place on the podium

This was a fun challenge!
Thanks for your comprehensive response and highlighting areas for improvement. I'll do better after this.
02-23-2018, 07:05 AM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats Glen5995, Todd and BigMackCam. Find this challenge so interesting. And a great image to work with once again. Thanks Imaspy, for the challenge and wonderful feedback.
02-23-2018, 09:39 AM - 2 Likes   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats Glenn! Well done and deserved. And thanks imaspy for hosting and judging, and the coveted 2nd place nod! Glad to see Mike on the podium too as his was my fave entry. Also happy to see that this image brought Godzilla out of hibernation after a long slumber! As always, looking forward to a Glenn hosted round. See you there.
02-23-2018, 12:43 PM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats to the winners!

@imaspy: thanks for interesting challenge and the feedback - I suspected that Exposure's blur function was too strong, but decided to give it a try.
02-23-2018, 04:12 PM - 1 Like   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you imaspy for hosting this challenge, the image to work with, for your comments and for bestowing upon me the honor of hosting #250. Congratulations todd and BigMackCam for 2nd and 3rd places. Great job everyone!

I will try to get #250 up and running shortly.
02-23-2018, 08:41 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

#250 is open for business. Please note that I will be hosting it a little different than previous challenges.

PP Challenge #250