Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 81 Likes Search this Thread
03-11-2018, 03:36 AM - 1 Like   #46
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Bill, I hope you've got your power back by now. It's almost scary how reliant we are on electricity.

Cindy, I'd say post as you can. Your participation is appreciated. When things pile up a bit I prioritise posting and do commenting if and when time allows.

I definitely have some catching up to do on commenting, but have managed to post something every day so far. Not great images, but something's better than nothing - usually My rather unintersting and untidy "orange runner" image from Friday even got picked up into Explore

03-11-2018, 06:35 PM - 3 Likes   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks all for your kind words. We got power back yesterday. We were living off a little generator so at least the house was warm and the frig was working as well as a couple of lights the area was hit with a Nor'easter 2 weeks ago that caused a lot of downed trees and power loss and then the heavy snow we had last week were just icing on the cake. I have to admit I kind of enjoyed not having a tv and internet for a few days.

My 2nd best news is I got a new lens! a Lensbaby Sweet 35 with a Composer Pro (used). I got it used and in a Nikon mount and a Fotodiox adapter, and been having fun with it. Even on a K-1 I managed to get the sweet spot of focus partially out of the frame, still learning but having fun with it.
03-11-2018, 08:36 PM - 1 Like   #48

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
Good news Bill about your electricity (we call it Hydro here because it comes from Hydro-Electric Power - it took me years to grasp that one).

I have an image for today but I need to go to bed so I will post and catch up on comments tomorrow.
03-12-2018, 11:13 AM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

8 years ago, we decided that a whole house generator was a good investment. I am certianly glad we do not need it often, but when we do, it is there. Money well spent

03-12-2018, 02:25 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wstruth Quote
Thanks all for your kind words. We got power back yesterday. We were living off a little generator so at least the house was warm and the frig was working as well as a couple of lights the area was hit with a Nor'easter 2 weeks ago that caused a lot of downed trees and power loss and then the heavy snow we had last week were just icing on the cake. I have to admit I kind of enjoyed not having a tv and internet for a few days.

My 2nd best news is I got a new lens! a Lensbaby Sweet 35 with a Composer Pro (used). I got it used and in a Nikon mount and a Fotodiox adapter, and been having fun with it. Even on a K-1 I managed to get the sweet spot of focus partially out of the frame, still learning but having fun with it.
Good news about your electricity and your new toys Bill.
03-12-2018, 05:43 PM - 1 Like   #51

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
I'm having minor computer issues that might not get resolved until Wednesday when a new hard drive arrives. I have taken shots but it appears that no matter how much I delete from my MacBook it still tells me it is full. It also won't back up to the drive I been using so I am hoping a new back up drive will help. Otherwise we'd have a different kind of splash if the river at the end of my garden wasn't frozen solid!
03-13-2018, 05:36 AM - 1 Like   #52
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Not sure what hit me, some kind of flu, I guess. Was ok Sunday evening, definitely not ok a few hours later. Another 36 hours and I'm out of bed for the first time and have actually managed to eat a little Hope to be back in the game tomorrow.

03-13-2018, 07:38 AM - 1 Like   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Not sure what hit me, some kind of flu, I guess. Was ok Sunday evening, definitely not ok a few hours later. Another 36 hours and I'm out of bed for the first time and have actually managed to eat a little Hope to be back in the game tomorrow.
Nasty bug! Glad you feel better.
03-13-2018, 07:38 AM - 1 Like   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That was me several weeks ago. Sorry to hear that, feel better soon.
03-13-2018, 10:04 AM - 1 Like   #55

I hope you are feeling much better , if not now, then very soon.
03-13-2018, 10:35 AM - 1 Like   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bummer savoche. Here's to a speed recovery.
03-13-2018, 10:38 AM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At least you can't blame the African bug for that one Savoche . Hope you get well soon!
03-13-2018, 12:44 PM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have been slack. I'm sorry. I know it's a self-challenge but I haven't done squat. I really feel bad because I see some of the great shots and I need to take the time to at least comment but I'm overloaded right now.
03-13-2018, 06:38 PM - 3 Likes   #59
Veteran Member

It's good to hear that you are feeling better best wishes for a speedy recovery and seeing your photos again.

Well, it looks like the Lensbaby has got my juices flowing again. My "Gate" picture, from the other day, got explored.
03-14-2018, 08:30 PM - 3 Likes   #60

My computer issues have been fixed. Feel free to skip to the last sentence if you don't want to read my somewhat now laughable computer story.

Talk about making you think you lost your mind. Out of the blue my MacBook started to tell me my hard drive was full. At the time it didn't strike me as odd as I had been talking more photographs so I figured it was entirely possible that I hadn't been paying attention to how big my photos library had become. So I started deleting things, a lot of things, freeing up what must have been about ⅔ of my hard drive and yet it kept telling me it had only 1.94GB left (and on a 500GB hard drive that isn't enough to allow the computer to function) and yet I couldn't understand why. The last straw was last night after I opened the new portable hard drive I had bought and freed up yet another 25GB of space and set it up to do a back up. I then went to bed. I woke up this morning checked the MacBook and it tells me the last backup failed as ... wait for it...there wasn't enough room on the MacBook's hard drive to process the request. The 25GB I had freed up last night vanished and yet I can't see where it or the other 320GB of space have disappeared to. So now I am thinking I have a computer version of the tasks of Atlas and that at any moment my head is going to explode. So I made an appointment at the Genius Bar and trudged down to the Apple Store after I finished volunteering this afternoon. Long story short the program I use to backup the photos on both my MacBook and 3TB iMac had somehow decided to create a backup on my MacBook. Since there was never enough room to complete a back up on the MacBook it was forever stealing the available space almost the moment it was freed up.

I feel so much better knowing that I wasn't completely out of my mind. There may be other reasons but the never ending quest to free up my MacBook hard drive isn't one of them.

So - I have given up on the days I have missed (although I did take shots every day) - I will however get back in the saddle tomorrow.