Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2018, 01:46 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
The A24-50 has been one of my favorite lenses on the LX. I still like it's focal length on the K-1, but it is definitely more prone to bright sun near the front element. I found it will wash out contrast if I'm not careful where I'm pointing it. I may look for a lens hood in the near future. I still like the lens, it has a very convenient focal length and constant f/4 aperture. I haven't noticed any vignetting but there is some fall off of image quality at the edges if you are pixel peeping (which I don't tend to do). I will be keeping the lens, but unless I want a small 24mm lens for the K-1, it will probably stay mated to my LX again.
Certainly looks like a nice range on FF. thanks for writing your thoughts on it.

03-22-2018, 04:58 AM - 1 Like   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mtux Quote
Going to unbox it after posting my selfie for today.
Wow, congrats!! Sounds awesome, enjoy it! ... I almost forgot about selfie day... almost!
03-22-2018, 01:26 PM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
Wow, congrats!! Sounds awesome, enjoy it!
Thanks, and I am enjoying it Specially when it comes to appreciating Single in photos
03-23-2018, 02:32 PM   #64
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm out of computer thru Saturday, so will post my shot for 24th on Sunday.

03-23-2018, 02:45 PM   #65
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I'm out of the challenge this month. Hand shakes so bad hard to take a photo or even type this out.
03-25-2018, 05:43 PM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Single in April thread is up:

Single In - April, 2018 - PentaxForums.com

Please pay no mind to the duplicate, incorrect thread. You all can flog me later.

Also, please note: I've added a new thing (borrowed from "Daily In") to accommodate film shooters. Comments appreciated.
03-25-2018, 05:46 PM - 1 Like   #67
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

cool!

who doesn't like a good flogging?

03-25-2018, 05:46 PM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I'm out of the challenge this month. Hand shakes so bad hard to take a photo or even type this out.
Hope you are feeling better!
03-25-2018, 08:38 PM   #69
Veteran Member

Something I think about occasionally, that doesn't keep me up at night by any means, but I still find curious: When I upload photos to Flickr, they are noticeably less sharp and detailed than when I look at them in Lightroom (or Photoshop, or On1, or...). I figured there was some sort of compression or something going on during uploading, some compromising of the file, so I downloaded an image file from Flickr and viewed it in Photoshop, and all of the muddy fuzziness is gone - it's just as crisp as when I view the JPEG in any editing program on my computers.

Here's an example, a screen grab of two windows I had open on my desktop: Left - the image in Photoshop, and Right - the image as seen on Flickr.

spiders.jpg - Google Drive

What gives? Where does all the crispness go? I have uploaded images at different DPIs, with different sharpening levels, and viewed Flickr in multiple browsers, but I haven't been able to resolve it. (Ha!) Does anyone else notice the same thing?
03-26-2018, 04:22 PM - 1 Like   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Marked difference in resolution of details between the two files for sure. It has always confused me that a heavily cropped photo will expand into a larger image than an uncropped one. If I was being generously cynical then I would suggest that Flickr is trying to even the playing field for the majority of its users which are probably mobile (cell phone is the term in the US I think?) based.

Picked up another In Explore for 'Older Star' Flickr does seem to like the FA50 Macro!
03-26-2018, 04:40 PM - 1 Like   #71
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote

Picked up another In Explore for 'Older Star' Flickr does seem to like the FA50 Macro!
I've got three 'explores' this month with the D FA 50 Macro, but none from the Daily or Single In Challenges.... it's an amazing set of optics....
03-26-2018, 11:58 PM   #72
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

I must be doing something wrong. No explores so far.
03-27-2018, 03:27 AM - 1 Like   #73
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
I must be doing something wrong. No explores so far.
Despite all te theories you might read, There is not anything you can do to control whether you get Explored or not, it is like playing the lottery, nothing to do with the merit of the shot technocally or aesthetically. I once posted a shot of my car's engine illuminated only by a bare worklight bulb to meet the SIC shot for the day; it hit Explore and got a healthy number of Likes or Faves or whatever. At other times I have had two shots hit Explore on the same day, it is random. Ultimately, the nice thng about Explore is that I have been exposed to some great photography by checked out the work of those who fave and commment on my Explored shots. Easily 75% of those I follow on Flickr have been due to Explores.
03-27-2018, 04:44 AM   #74
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
There is not anything you can do to control whether you get Explored or not, it is like playing the lottery, nothing to do with the merit of the shot technocally or aesthetically.
I have suspected that your activity on Flickr might improve your chances, so that premium members and active posters would get more hits. By this logic I would be near the bottom of the pit as I don't pay for Flickr and I only post SIC shot there. This, of course, is just a guess, but I would be surprised if Flickr would pick shots totally randomly. In totally random system I think by probability I should have hit explore already, when compared to amount of explores others in SIC report.
03-27-2018, 05:10 AM   #75
Veteran Member

It can't possibly be totally random because if you scroll through any given day of Explore photos on Flickr, there is always a theme or two. The other day it was birds, and particularly owls. There was some other stuff mixed in there, too, but at least 2/3 of the photos were birds, and the majority of the bird photos were owls. Other days it has been spirals, or sunsets/sunrises, waves... The themes aren't completely exclusive to other photography, so it's not like other stuff doesn't have a chance, but it's certainly not hitting randomly.

And, arguably, most of the photos in Explore are very good photos. Average photos tend to get dropped. I know, because it's happened to me/my average photo... but I still add them to my "in Explore" album! :-D

Explored Images | Flickr