Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 69 Likes Search this Thread
03-27-2018, 11:55 AM   #76
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
I must be doing something wrong. No explores so far.
That surprises me. You've been doing some really good work.

I've had two in March, and not my best stuff, either. I like the attention, but I realize that in the end it's just an algorithm. As robgski said, the great benefit is connecting with other photographers - many of whom are much better than I am - and seeing how they see the world.

My personal theory is that the Flickr algorithm really likes bold swaths of color, or strong contrast, or vivid color/contrast combinations (HDR).

---------- Post added 03-27-18 at 11:57 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
It can't possibly be totally random because if you scroll through any given day of Explore photos on Flickr, there is always a theme or two. The other day it was birds, and particularly owls.
Agree. I've noticed this too.

03-27-2018, 12:19 PM   #77
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The likelihood of any person posting a picture that matches a theme for Explore, are very small. In my experience, the shots I have had Explored did not seem to match any theme. It is a mystery, to me at least, but I am content not to solve it. The possibility of being Explored does encourage me to take a picture to the best of my ability before I post it.
It might also be that a certain level of consistent activity increases one's chances of being Explored. I have not posted anything to Flickr in almost 6 months, and nothing has been Explored in that time. Again, it is to me a mystery.
03-27-2018, 01:15 PM - 2 Likes   #78
Veteran Member

Eh! I just noticed that my foggy shot has made it to explore, I guess for a couple of hours.
I wouldn't count it as a good shot, and it has no contrast or bold colors @babywriter
03-31-2018, 11:23 AM - 2 Likes   #79
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Ok, I'm done for the month. I managed to shot every day and delivered almost daily, so challenge completed.

M28/2.8 is great when you want everything sharp. Hyperfocal distance is really short and the lens is sharp enough for my taste. I didn't notice any purple fringing thought I shot thru branches against the light. Slight green in OOF extreme contrast condition, but even that was usable without any PP needed to reduce that. Lens does decent macro with extension tubes, but bokeh is not as nice as in lot of other lenses in M series. 10 point starbursts are really nice. Definitely among the best I've seen in M series.

I got my lens for 35 euros and for the price it delivers a plenty. I'm really interested to see how M28/3.5 compares against it when I get to shoot it. I still find more versatile M35/2 a little better lens also for the landscapes, so it will be my main wide lens also in the future. But this is a fine lens for anybody who is looking for cheap manual prime for landscapes.

03-31-2018, 06:34 PM - 2 Likes   #80
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Some observations regarding the Auto Rikenon EE 50mm f/1.4:

- This is technically an M42 lens, but apparently it was the kit lens for a special "EE" Ricoh lens body in the mid-'70s. On that body, with the aperture ring set to EE, it offers shutter-priority autoexposure. It also doesn't have the Auto/Manual switch like the Takumars do. I don't have the EE body, and don't intend to obtain one, so to use it on my DSLR I had to do two modifications. I superglued the auto pin down so that it would be permanently in manual mode, and I sanded off the "EE" tab on the base of the aperture ring (without it sanded down, the lens won't screw securely all the way onto my DSLRs). It's possible to modify the pin non-permanently, but the sanding of the EE tab cannot be reversed. So I don't feel guilty about supergluing the pin.

- I know it's hard to find a "bad" classic 50mm prime, but even under that standard, this lens excelled. It delighted me over and over again with the level of detail I was able to achieve, and in almost all lighting situations the colors were pleasing and well-saturated. Whatever lens coatings Ricoh was using gave the lens a slightly cool rendering, emphasizing blues without being overbearing about it. That took me by surprise, and I learned to love the look (which is saying something, because I really love Pentax SMC rendering).

- Bokeh on the lens was quite pleasing, with a buttery smoothness most of the time, and (if the conditions were right) some lovely bokeh balls. I was able to force them somewhat in a couple of shots, but didn't play with that as much as I would have liked. At f/1.4, there was some chromatic aberration and softness, especially in backlit scenes. Both were generally gone by f/2.8, and the lens performed solidly up through f/11.

- The big weakness of this lens: it is a flare monster. You have to pay close attention to the orientation of the sun if you're shooting in bright daylight, because the lens flares will sneak up on you in somewhat unexpected ways. Color, size, and shape varied widely depending on the direction of the light source, so I had to watch it indoors as well, when I had bright light sources. Creative flare work can be fun, but it isn't really my thing, so it was more of an annoyance than an asset. YMMV.

- So, in a nutshell: Sharp. Great bokeh. Lovely cool, non-Pentax rendering. And a flare monster.

I'm keeping this lens in my collection. It's just too good of a lens, and I expect I'll be shooting it periodically in the future.

A few of my favorite shots from the month:

Last edited by babywriter; 03-31-2018 at 06:50 PM.
03-31-2018, 11:43 PM - 1 Like   #81
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Forgot to mention that M28/2.8 is good already wide open and I didn't get it to flare. Even with the sun in the corner. This didn't make it to official shots but just to demonstrate

04-01-2018, 03:59 AM - 3 Likes   #82
Pentaxian

I've just posted some images for the last few days when I have been able to take photos, but no time to process or post. My postings have been a bit spotty towards the end of the month as I was very busy on a survey in Transylvania.

I must admit that the Jupiter-9 turned out to me one of my least favourite lenses that I have used in the challange. I have used many manual focus lenses and normally I have no problems, but either my eyes have deteriorated recently, or the J-9 is a bit of a wotsit to focus. It doesn't help that someone had been inside it and put it together backwards so that the stop-down ring closed the aperture when it should be opening it and v.v. Thus, I have no idea what aperture any of the images were taken at. I'm undecided whether I should just sell it, or send it for a repair / service, I have three other 85mm lenses (a Super Takumar 85mm f/1.9, a K85 and an M85) so I don't really need the J9, but I am a bit rubbish at selling lenses...!

Here are some of the ones that worked.

March 1st: Gandhi in a snowstorm (2) par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

March 03: Golf course tree par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

March 8: bokeh par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

March 21: Carol's gate par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

04-01-2018, 06:32 AM - 4 Likes   #83
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

my review of the D FA 50mm f2.8 Macro:

Wow - what a lens...

I had been searching for a replacement for my DA50/1.8 - it is very sharp, contrasty, all the things that you read and hear about it, but there's very little character to the lens.... I have other 50/55mm lenses that are loaded with character, but I wanted an autofocus 50 with some soul...

When these came up on clearance at Aden Camera in February, I figured I'd give it a try - I read very little concerning the D FA 50 other than what it is the reviews here, but it didn't seem that anyone was out using one...

I received a new, old stock (roughly from 2006, according to the documentation in the box) lens and away we went.

First, and foremost, this is a true 1:1 macro lens, and has the focus travel to prove it - if you don't mind a slight delay in focus, the focus travel won't bother you (I'm am not offended by it). The barrel does extend, nearly the length of the included hood at the close (1:1) end of its focus travel.

It is a plastic/composite lens, with a deep hood, aperture ring, and a distance/range/macro scale behind a plastic window. It does have quickshift, a metal mount, and is not weather-resistant. It is not a heavy lens, but is decidedly heavier and larger than the DA50/1.8. Mounted on a K-3 or K-50, it is not a significant piece, but doesn't disappear like a pancake Limited, either.

Forget that this is a macro lens, and use it as you would any standard nifty fifty and it will deliver: bokeh, color rendition, clarity, all if it in bags. Being a macro lens, however, you would expect resolution and details beyond the standard 50, however, and this lens will not disappoint.

As far as any negatives, only two come to mind: the focus travel and maximum aperture. Focus travel can be cumbersome, especially in low-light/low-contrast shooting - waiting for the screw-drive to decide on the focus (of course, quickshift or even manual focus negates this issue). Maximum aperture of f2.8 can hamper the lens' ability in low-light, but a corresponding bump in ISO usually mitigates that problem.

but the photos:

and the rest of the month's album:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pepperberryfarm/albums/72157692272275411

the D FA 50mm f2.8 Macro is good enough for me that I've sold off my standard 50's...
04-01-2018, 07:27 AM - 4 Likes   #84
Veteran Member

I still have a few images for this past week to edit and upload, and I've reviewed the M28/2.8 on APS-C before, but... here goes:

This was a bargain-bin copy I got on eBay for $40. It has obviously not been gently kept (and it doesn't help that I smashed it into concrete, along with my K-30, during my last Single In with it), but nonetheless it seems well-functioning, smooth and snappy. On the K-1 it's almost comically small, like a little button nose on a large manly face. Handling is no surprise to any M lens user. Focus throw is not too long nor short, and the MFD is very satisfactory at about 12". The f/2.8 aperture seemed fast enough for me, but I have no qualms about jacking up the ISO - I didn't spend my hard earned cash on the fabulous technology of the K-1 to use it at base ISO all the time. :-) I often used the lens wide open and have been satisfied with the rendering and sharpness. The more photos I took with this lens, the more cavalier I became about landing perfect focus. 28mm is kind of a "standard" wide angle lens -- wide enough to make focusing challenging, but not dramatically wide enough that the field of view becomes a spectacle, like with my 14mm or fish eye. There were only a handful of times that I got the lens out to shoot and wasn't disappointed that it was too wide for the application - I almost always wanted a longer focal length. (Not a fault of the lens, just the circumstances I found myself in.) I used live view a lot. I regret not taking more infinity/landscape images. I think I had a few f/8 or f/11 shots that never made it to EXPORT in Lightroom. I think I'll have to get this lens out again during a warmer month and make sure she's capable. :-)

Being stuck in miserable late winter/early spring weather, and having the normal human stressors, tolerable but nagging depression, and the rigorous demands of working adult life as an excuse, I definitely didn't push the lens as hard as I could have, but I'm proud of myself for participating and shooting every day. I'm glad for this game, and you people. On with the show!

04-02-2018, 01:48 AM - 1 Like   #85
Veteran Member

I missed the last couple of days because of work and traveling without my single lens. And I can say failed at the challenge. but maybe next time.
I don't have anything new to say about DA35ltd. It's small, fast enough, very sharp wide open and closed down, with nice bokeh most of the times. And I'm still happy with it.
To pick favorites from the month, I'd go with these: