Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2018, 03:40 AM - 1 Like   #46
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm out

Sorry folks. Another half-arsed attempt to get back into the "Single In" swing has gone belly up. Thanks for your forbearance.

For what it's worth, I like the DFA28-105 a lot. It is centrally sharp (VERY sharp actually) wide open throughout the focal range, and stopped down to f/8.0 and beyond it is immaculate. It does vignette a bit, but rarely to the detriment of the image.

It's compact and it handles beautifully - a perfect balance on the K-1. It bugs me a little that it switches up from f/3.5 the moment you zoom in from 28mm, and f/5.6 at the long end is a bit slow. Likewise, the lack of a distance scale on the focus ring is another negative, but hey - it's a kit zoom so that's probably expecting too much. I can see a 24-100+ f/4.0 star quality zoom coming eventually, but that will be far bigger and costlier.

When all is said and done, it is one of the best bang for buck lenses out there.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 03-17-2018 at 01:59 PM.
03-17-2018, 06:35 AM - 3 Likes   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Thanks for your forbearance.
Boo! Thanks for the little bit about the lens, though. All of the images I've seen from it look very nice, but I'm not sure I'll ever be able to justify it when I have the Tamron 28-75/2.8 - any opinions there?

I have a couple ho-hum pics from around the house for the past couple days that I haven't posted yet, but today we're going to the Mecum Auto Auction and I know I'm going to be excited to unload my SD card when I get home. :-)

Kansas City 2018 at Kansas City Convention Center | March 16-17, 2018
03-17-2018, 12:39 PM - 1 Like   #48
Pentaxian

Postings might be a bit hit-or-miss for the next few days as I am doing some survey work in Alba Iulia. Hopefully, I'll have time to grab some shots between grids...
03-17-2018, 02:38 PM - 2 Likes   #49
Veteran Member

I'm also missing some days, due to bad weather, not much of daylight after work and a bit of laziness. But I'm still in the game.

Sorry folks. Another half-arsed attempt to get back into the "Single In" swing has gone belly up. Thanks for your forbearance.

03-18-2018, 07:01 AM - 5 Likes   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm kinda excited about this: my wife and I have scheduled a photography/birding trip to Arizona in mid-May! We'll be driving all over, basically - to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon one day, Antelope Canyon the next, and then down to the Tucson area for some serious birding. It's going to be a real challenge to pick a Single In lens that month.
03-18-2018, 01:18 PM   #51
Veteran Member

I'm searching for a good All in one PC to replace my old laptop and give me some extra processing power + more memory to be able to run lightroom+photoshop together.
As a challenge I'd like to learn doing some photoshop works. now that, thanks to Adobe's CC plan, I have photoshop too.
03-20-2018, 04:44 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtux Quote
All in one PC
I've never had an all-in-one unit, but it was close! Before I bought my current desktop machine I was looking at the all-in-ones, but decided I wanted to dedicate the $$$ to a nice display, rather than whatever was packaged with the all-in-one. I don't have a lot of brand-loyalty as far as computer companies go - I think you can always piece together/customize what you want, and I recommend you get as much RAM as you can afford, the newest processor, and a dedicated video/graphics card. After that, make sure you can look at it all on a nice display (size is up to you, but the 4K Ultra HD is choice), and if it comes in under $2,000 or so (depending on the size of the display), I'd say that's fair

I ended up getting a very nice 27" Dell display to go along with a compact "ThinkCentre" tower I customized from Lenovo. I gave it tons of RAM. :-) I will have had this set up for 3 years this summer and it's still going strong! ... Although I did recently buy myself a cool touch-screen Lenovo laptop for portability - the laptop has a huge hard drive, but minimal RAM, and the screen resolution is no where near the ultra/quad/4k/HD whatever it is I got in the desktop display, but I guess that's why the desktop display alone cost as much as the laptop. ;-)

Anyway, I'm still in the game! I've got shots, just need to process and upload 'em. I really think the extra daylight is making it easier. I diagnosed myself, but due to numerous contributing factors, I'm pretty sure I fell victim to some wicked S.A.D. over the winter. :-(

03-20-2018, 04:57 AM   #53
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm searching for a good All in one PC to replace my old laptop and give me some extra processing power + more memory to be able to run lightroom+photoshop together.
I just bought a 27" iMac. It's still going strong five years later, even with K-1 and 645Z files in Lightroom and Photoshop.
03-20-2018, 05:33 AM - 1 Like   #54
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've been running 10 years with same laptop. It still run K5 RAW files nicely, but really hoping to have a new one and 27" 4K monitor from the company this spring. They are also marketing optical fiber connections in my neighborhood. If they sell enough, I have 100MB connections before end of the year. Then I would be all set
03-20-2018, 05:34 AM   #55
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Thought you are out of shooting I don't mind, if you want to keep on commenting.
03-20-2018, 10:36 AM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sandy's suggestion of the iMac is good as Apple probably make the best AIO units and you have total ease of use. Sarah's is probably better in that you have freedom of screens to choose from and ultimately allow you to take your compute power anywhere if needed. K-1 files do give machines a workout. I took a standard work laptop for emergencies on holiday with me, standard HP Probook with i5 (7 Gen), 4GB ram and a 512GB HDD. With AV on high alert as in non secure area, it takes roughly 10 mins to export a RAW file... My normal laptop (they one in the headphone shot and performance ramp shot) with a Xeon cpu, 64GB ram and dual M.2 drives takes about 20 seconds per RAW file. My home desktop, about 5 to 10 seconds per file but that is an atypical machine Moral of story, plenty of RAM (16GB minimum, bit of CPU power (8 gen Intel i5 or higher or the new Ryzen mobile chips) and nippy storage. Find something that supports M.2 PCIe gen 3 and throw in a Samsung 960 EVO or PRO drive, SSDs are passe now.
SSD = R/W 550MB/s
Nvme = R/W 3000MB/s and 2200MB/s
03-20-2018, 12:46 PM - 4 Likes   #57
Veteran Member

Thanks for your suggestions, Sara, Sandy and Robbiec.
I had to go with a laptop or an all in one pc, because I don't have a dedicated desk for my pc, and it's always on the dining table. So I'd rather it be in one piece with no cable but the power cable. And I can't buy iMac, because I don't like apple. never bought anything from it.
I just received my new PC, it's a Lenovo Ideacenter 520-27IKL, with core i7 7700t, 16GB ram, 256G ssd + 2T hdd, some AMD graphics card and 27inch QHD display. It should be fine for me, though still in the box! Going to unbox it after posting my selfie for today.
03-20-2018, 01:59 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Man, 27 inch is really big! Says the guy coming from 15 inch laptop ((:
03-20-2018, 03:35 PM - 1 Like   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Man, 27 inch is really big! Says the guy coming from 15 inch laptop ((:
Luxuriate in the extra desktop space. 27 is the perfect size for QHD. Well wear! (Irish saying for good luck with your new purchase )
03-21-2018, 01:12 PM - 2 Likes   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry guys, work got the better of me this month. I'll try to drop in before the end of the month now and again to comment.

The A24-50 has been one of my favorite lenses on the LX. I still like it's focal length on the K-1, but it is definitely more prone to bright sun near the front element. I found it will wash out contrast if I'm not careful where I'm pointing it. I may look for a lens hood in the near future. I still like the lens, it has a very convenient focal length and constant f/4 aperture. I haven't noticed any vignetting but there is some fall off of image quality at the edges if you are pixel peeping (which I don't tend to do). I will be keeping the lens, but unless I want a small 24mm lens for the K-1, it will probably stay mated to my LX again.