Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2018, 06:04 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Single in March 2018

Welcome everyone to the Single In March 2018 Challenge!

Theme days - new ones in RED:

Thursday, 1st March: PARALLEL LINES

Thursday, 8th March: BLUR/BOKEH

Thursday,15th March: CLOSEUP/MACRO

Wednesday, 21st March: B/SELFIES

Thursday, 29th March: PEOPLE

Aim of the Game:To use the same lens each day for a month, posting one picture captured each day with that lens. The picture must be captured with a Pentax lens coupled to a camera body of your choice (including Pentax/Ricoh), a non-Pentax lens provided it is coupled only to a Pentax or Ricoh body, or a Pentax-Ricoh point&shoot camera. (Taking other pictures with other cameras/lenses is fine, but these won’t be eligible for this Challenge).

Commenting: Posting your pictures allows other participants to comment on them. Conversely, it’s hoped that you will comment on those of other members. Please don’t be shy if you don’t have much photographic experience or are a Forum newbie - your personal reactions to photographs are as valid as anyone else’s. It’s a very friendly group and with regular commenting, you’ll soon be enjoying the camaraderie.

The rewards: It’s great fun. You’ll learn heaps about how your chosen lens can perform and you’ll see what other members achieve with their selected lenses - sometimes the same one you’ve chosen. In the comment banter you’ll pick up many tips on photographic technique generally, including post processing. As the month progresses it often becomes quite demanding (it’s a challenge, remember) but you’ll always be encouraged by other participants. Worried about LBA? - this game doesn’t help you fight it!

How to participate:

1. First you need to join the Group to be able to post pictures; you only have to do this once. The group’s name is “Monthly Photo Challenges”. You’ll find a clickable link on that forum page to join.

2. You’ll need to have your pictures stored in an on-line album. This could be the Pentax Forum, or others such as Flickr, Picassa etc. You actually post a link to the picture in your album into the daily picture thread.

** If you are linking to a Pentax Forum album, you’ll find advice on how to post elsewhere in the Forum and in the FAQs below. One of the Challenge’s stalwarts, patjp, has also prepared a short video on how to do this - it’s on YouTube (Singlein.m4v)

** If you are posting a link to Flickr, just click on the sharing icon below your selected picture and a window will open displaying the BB code. Copy it and paste into the Single in (month) Challenge thread in the Pentax Forum.

Each day, you’ll see a new thread of pictures grow and by clicking on each you should be redirected to the photographer’s parent album where you will be able to add a comment and read those of others. When you post each day’s picture to the Pentax Forum, please specify the camera/lens combination underneath your picture eg K5 & DA15 Ltd - this makes it easy for others to note what combo you’re using.

The thread you’re painstakingly reading now is the Discussion Thread for Game > Single in (month).

This is separate to the picture posting thread referred to above and you’ll probably want to subscribe to the Discussion one to keep up with activities and develop a rapport with Challenge members. It’s the place where you can ask questions, offer advice, share concerns, suggest improvements, and often just participate in general banter related to this month’s challenge.

So there it is. It is easier than it might seem at first. If you miss a day, don’t worry. If you have any problems, please ask. We’re a very friendly, forgiving, international bunch. Come and try!

FAQs: Finally, Zorglub has kindly posted a FAQ collection here …. The FAQ - Monthly Photo Challenges - PentaxForums.com

Video below was created by patjp

Attached Images

02-25-2018, 06:19 PM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
in...

I'm back with my new D FA 50mm f2.8 Macro this month....
02-25-2018, 06:19 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm in, with the DFA28-105. I tend to prefer primes, so I really need to put this lens through its paces.
02-25-2018, 06:35 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
In with a FA50/2.8 grenade Macro.

02-25-2018, 06:39 PM - 1 Like   #5
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
In with a FA50/2.8 grenade Macro.
coolness - it'll be interesting to see what's actually changed, aside from the packaging of the optics...
02-25-2018, 06:43 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Eagerly watching from the sidelines once again
02-25-2018, 09:37 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I’ll probably be in. I’m really wanting to put the A24-50 through the paces on the K-1, but lately I can’t get it off the LX. It just does so nicely with black and white film...

02-25-2018, 11:22 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I'm in but not sure which lens this time. I bought a used Pentax 35-80mm for my daughter but she'll be here to pick it up in mid March. I'm giving her my beloved K-x. But she'll be happy, I guess that's all that counts, eh?
02-25-2018, 11:23 PM   #9
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'll keep on going. Time to go wide again. Most likely M28/2.8.
02-26-2018, 02:37 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I'm in too - lens to be decided. I've got several fast 50-55mm vintage lenses; I should probably pick one of those.

---------- Post added 02-26-18 at 03:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
I’ll probably be in. I’m really wanting to put the A24-50 through the paces on the K-1, but lately I can’t get it off the LX.
That sounds like a marvelous lens. I'll need to keep my eyes open for one in my area....
02-26-2018, 02:50 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Okay the lens I mentioned earlier, I'm going to keep and give her my DA 18-55mm L ll. I found one for me that's WR and been wanting one for a while. So, I'm in with the Pentax F 35-80mm
02-26-2018, 07:24 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thinking about the A-50mm f2.8 macro on the K7
Purchased it a couple weeks ago and need to see what it can do.
I really like this "single in" cause I have learned a lot about my DA*16-50 during this month of February.
And the Metz flash.

Clarence
02-27-2018, 12:50 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Okay the lens I mentioned earlier, I'm going to keep and give her my DA 18-55mm L ll. I found one for me that's WR and been wanting one for a while. So, I'm in with the Pentax F 35-80mm
The 35-80 is one of my favorite “cheap” lenses on a crop body. Great color rendition and contrast. I highly recommend a cheap $3 collapsible hood as it will flare rather easily.
02-27-2018, 08:11 AM - 1 Like   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
I highly recommend a cheap $3 collapsible hood as it will flare rather easily.
And where would i find one of them? I guess I can check at Amazon, that way I can get it here before the first. Btw, I only paid $27 for the lens.
02-27-2018, 08:35 AM   #15
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
And where would i find one of them? I guess I can check at Amazon, that way I can get it here before the first. Btw, I only paid $27 for the lens.

I normally type in the search parameters, whatever the filter ring size, then 'collapsible lens hood'....