Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2018, 03:36 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
PP Challenge #251 - Silver Falls Tree

Back to the old format. I will be the sole decider who wins this round.

Everybody who has been around this challenge long enough knows that I thoroughly suck at selecting appropriate images to host with, so don't blame me! You're the ones who voted for me last round!

Five exposures available. I chose this one because I had a hard time getting a result I was happy with in post, so would like to see what others can come up with, if anything... Do whatever you want, as many as you want. Challenge closes to new entries on Saturday, 3/10/18, whenever I feel like it California time.

DNG DOWNLOADS

A note to the winner: Please copy and post this info into the next challenge.

The mediafire website is: mediafire.com
The login name is: ppchallenge@tmphillips.com
The password is: postprocessing

Last edited by todd; 03-06-2018 at 12:36 PM.
03-04-2018, 05:36 AM - 3 Likes   #2

Three interpretations

Sensuous glade presses my HDR buttons...
Attached Images

03-05-2018, 02:26 AM - 3 Likes   #3
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I go with tight 3:4 crop:

03-05-2018, 07:42 PM - 3 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

that is one cool tree you found just used "the middle one" from the choice of exposures. Tried to get it separated from the rest of the scene as much as possible to highlight it without getting too weird. "seeing the tree through the forest" sorta thingy. that blank patch upper LH was nagging me too.

Attached Images

03-05-2018, 08:57 PM - 2 Likes   #5

Haven't tried this type of challenge before, but here goes. - This time with an attachment. LOL.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
03-07-2018, 06:06 AM - 3 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Hard one:
03-08-2018, 05:34 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

.....or maybe this crop would be better.

Last edited by Glenn5995; 03-09-2018 at 07:43 PM.
03-09-2018, 10:12 AM - 1 Like   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Great photo, Todd... alas, like you, I had a tough time with the post-processing. Such a lovely scene really deserves the natural beauty to be maintained and accentuated, but despite several attempts I just couldn't make it work.

I ended up going for a sort of "hand-crafted HDR" look, trying to create a cold, foreboding, backwater woods scene. I used all of the exposures to create a merged HDR in Lightroom, desaturated and added a green/blue tint via the white balance, boosted contrast and clarity, added some barrel distortion to make the tree more prominent, and finished with some vignetting, plus a few other minor tweaks... then seriously sharpened the export file to end up with the below. Not sure if I'm pleased with it or not... but, for better or worse, it's my entry

EDIT: I've added this second version which goes for an even colder, greyer look by desaturating everything except for green and aqua shades. Also, I cloned out that bit of sky at the top to give a more enclosed feeling. I think I might actually prefer this one... It certainly closer to what I was trying to achieve

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-10-2018 at 05:54 AM.
03-09-2018, 07:54 PM - 2 Likes   #9

Photos: Albums
Crop and Process V1 and my favorite, V2
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
03-10-2018, 12:10 PM - 4 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
jcomley - wonderfully bold creative artistic spin on the image. it reflects the turmoil of my soul with this image when i first got home with it and tried to turn it into something that it could not be, thanks to the wrong light and dry conditions when I was there.

johnhilvert - you first entry is my fave of the three. a nice interpretation. the other two look like out of the box experimentations that free the mind but are rather bizarre at the same time haha..

iheiramo - really like your tight crop, exposure and filtering choices

astonm - i knew immediately your entry would be in contention for the prize. the thoughtful crop, coloring/filtering, use of blur for selective focus and detail enhancement on the tree combine to give it a medium format film look that i am particularly fond of. you had to sacrifice one of my favorite aspects of the image, which is the detail of the limb that goes across the top right of frame, but it was worth it.

MikeStnly - thanks for taking on the challenge! a fresh creative duotone take on the scene. i like your approach to solving the problems of the image, diffusing them with a strong emphasis on the dominant tones of the image, and using the potential of the foreground details to tie them together.

D1N0 - can't quite remember your entry from before you deleted it.. i remember liking it though

Glenn5995 - was getting worried you weren't going to enter this round! you showed up though and didn't dissappoint. i like all three crops and choose #1 as my fave of your entries. i appreciate how you addressed the fun upper left area and filled it in and nice blended in way.i really like how you tightened the view without entirely losing the wide angle perspective.

BigMackCam - ideally i'd get a third option from your entries combining what I like about both. i prefer the slightly increased dynamic range or 'less flat' look of the first entry, and like the way you "enclosed" the second entry. i like that you took the liberty to add BD to add prominence to the tree. that of course wouldn't be appreciated as much by the lens designers who went to great lengths to minimize that effect haha. So I pick your first entry and call it a top contender.

dlneubec - the tree is a little dark for me in V1 so agree that V2 is a creative take from the image and I like it.

I am going to keep this simple and use the judging criteria often used in one of my favorite shows, Masterchef (Australia). When it's a close call they ask themselves which dish they'd go back for. For me, as you can probably tell from the way I often process, I tend to go after detail enhancement. Here for example was my take on the image... I was and am far from happy with this particular cook, but it does reflect what I want to convey most, which is a bold presentation of the tree details:

So I am passing the baton once again to astonm. Fabulous rendition. Congrats! Thanks to everyone for enduring this tough to process image and contributing interesting entries.

03-10-2018, 12:25 PM - 1 Like   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for a great scene to work with, Todd, and for the excellent feedback and your personal take on each entry.

Congratulations to @astonm for another worthy win (it was my favourite entry too!)
03-10-2018, 01:38 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you todd for hosting and congratulations astonm!
03-10-2018, 02:11 PM - 1 Like   #13

Yes, thank you, that was fun. Astonm - I liked your rendition. Let's have another.
03-10-2018, 08:42 PM   #14

Thanks for your personable feedback. It was a challenging and instructive set of files to work with.
03-11-2018, 11:57 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

oh wow ! Thanks guys There sure was a lot of green to work through to find that lovely tree. Honored that you picked me. THanks!

A weird thing happened in the PNW this weekend - SUNSHINE !! Going to try to get out in it today, it convertible weather, dang it! (46* f as I type, but hey. We got jackets & heated seats - whoo hoo! ) - Gotta fix that winter vitamin D deficiency somehow. LOL.

I should have something pulled together for the next round Monday-ish for you all. THANKS AGAIN . (Now where did I put my sunglasses..... ?!?)